Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
PCT Photos
Camera: K3ii 
Posted By: bakerking31, 05-31-2016, 11:06 PM

I just finished going through my photos from a 3 day 60 mile stretch of the PCT (mile 60-120). Not the most scenic stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail, but I was testing my camera and backpacking gear for a longer trip this summer and I got a few keepers out of it.

Photos are with either the 15mm Limited or DFA 100mm Macro. I also brought the DA 50mm 1.8 but I wasn't too happy with the results from it, I am thinking of picking up the 40mm limited while its on sale for my longer trim this summer in the sierras.

Missed focus on this ... and had the aperture way off anyway, but I kinda liked the result.

A Horned Lizard. They are fairly uncommon now, in the last 3 years hiking often and often off the beaten path I only saw one before this trip This trip we saw three!

My hiking partner during a LONG hot stretch without water

Desert floor full of agave blooms. The agave plant only blooms once then dies (average lifespan 25 years), there are dozens just in this photo, we saw thousands on the trip. It was an unusual sight and pretty amazing and made the long miles in the hot sun worth it.

Trail along the mountain overlooking the desert

Woke up and found this guy hanging out by my bivy. I am new to macro, so it took about 20 shots to get this in focus this close, the pebbles are sand, the spider was very small.

More photos can be found here
Views: 1,016
06-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Nicely done, the herp shots especially. I'll be very interested in how you refine your loadout over time--I'm finding photography almost as hard to integrate into backpacking as flyfishing is...definitely sucks that your water supply and your lenses need to occupy the same space, center-of-gravity wise.
06-01-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. Looks like a great way to spend a few days!
06-01-2016, 05:47 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Nicely done, the herp shots especially. I'll be very interested in how you refine your loadout over time--I'm finding photography almost as hard to integrate into backpacking as flyfishing is...definitely sucks that your water supply and your lenses need to occupy the same space, center-of-gravity wise.
For fly fishing, check out
he has hiked the triple crown and on his CDT hike he brought a ultralight fly rod. It was something like 3-4 oz.

Last year I did the JMT (200ish miles) with my K-50 and kit lens. I have been using small camera bags and attaching them to my hip belt in front of me ... kind of like a fanny pack from the 90's. This is the only way I have found that was comfortable for long distances and kept the camera easily accessible. I have been moving to primes on my K3ii and have settled on bringing three for my long trip this summer. This trip I found that I need the primes available without having to remove my pack or I won't change lenses when I should. My solution is to make lens pouches on each shoulder strap. They will be attached with Velcro to my shoulder straps on either side so my camera and both un-mounted lenses are available without much hassle. I also decided I need a tripod for sunset shots after I had a few amazing shots that were semi-ruined by not having a steady enough hand. I picked up a TrailPix tripod which uses trekking poles as feet, it seems to work fairly well in my testing (with small lenses).

I do whatever I can to take weight out of my backpacking system so my camera gear does not cause a burden. This summer I will probably have an average weight of 25lbs with 5-6lbs of it being camera gear (max around 30 with 6 days of food). Obviously some camp comfort is sacrificed but the fun is in the hike not the sleeping arraignments.

I think when I finish my pack modifications I will start a thread with photos and tips I've learned over last year and a half or so.

06-01-2016, 06:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bakerking31 Quote
max around 30 with 6 days of food

You're rolling with an impressive skin-out weight--unfortunately, it's my "skin-in" figure these days that causes most of the problems. I'll be interested in seeing how you lens system works for you--probably not doable for me since I'm often crawling through deadfalls and like here in the Southern Highlands, but it might suit your AO just fine.

Otherwise, I was a fairly early adopter of Tenkara--a pretty natural progession from the long, slow bamboo/fiberglass rods I favor here in the Smokies.

Look forward to seeing how you dial everything in...
06-11-2016, 06:47 PM   #6

Beautiful pictures! The fifth one is my favorite because of the colors. The desert is such a amazing place!
06-12-2016, 03:10 AM   #7
Forum Member

I just finished going through my photos from a 3 day 60 mile stretch of the PCT (mile 60-120). Not the most scenic stretch of the Pacific Crest Trail, but I was testing my camera and backpacking gear for a longer trip this summer and I got a few keepers out of it.

Photos are with either the 15mm Limited or DFA 100mm Macro. I also brought the DA 50mm 1.8 but I wasn't too happy with the results from it, I am thinking of picking up the 40mm limited while its on sale for my longer trim this summer in the sierras.

Missed focus on this ... and had the aperture way off anyway, but I kinda liked the result.

A Horned Lizard. They are fairly uncommon now, in the last 3 years hiking often and often off the beaten path I only saw one before this trip This trip we saw three!

Desert floor full of agave blooms. The agave plant only blooms once then dies (average lifespan 25 years), there are dozens just in this photo, we saw thousands on the trip. It was an unusual sight and pretty amazing and made the long miles in the hot sun worth it.

Woke up and found this guy hanging out by my bivy. I am new to macro, so it took about 20 shots to get this in focus this close, the pebbles are sand, the spider was very small.

Great Macro shot ?I am trying to shoot Macro myself without much success so well done I know it is tricky.

06-12-2016, 08:03 AM   #8

Photos: Albums

Fine pctures about fina landscapes...
06-12-2016, 09:58 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

These are great shots. It is nice to be reminded that the PCT is not just alpine!
06-12-2016, 01:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice composition thrugh the hills to the distant mts.