Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
La Voie lactée au dessus de Owl's Head/ The Milky Way over Owl's Head
Lens: Bower 14mm f2.8 Camera: Pentax K-1 Photo Location: Quebec, Canada ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F3.2 
Posted By: Weevil, 07-01-2016, 10:20 PM

Another Milky Way shot, bit this time with the Bower 14mm f2.8 and the K-1 with the Astro Tracer feature that uses a built-in GPS module and the stabilized sensor. It allow longer exposition (here 3 minutes), beyond the 500 rule, without having star trails (actually there are some on the edge but not in the center), by following the earth rotation.

La Voie lactée au dessus de Owl's Head/ The Milky Way over Owl's Head
by Sylvain Cote, sur Flickr
Views: 3,966
07-02-2016, 01:49 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Shots like this make me want to go out and have a go myself...

The only problem is... that I haven't a scooby how to do it, good job we're digital now and not still film. As I can feel a shed load of duds coming on.
07-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Shots like this make me want to go out and have a go myself...

The only problem is... that I haven't a scooby how to do it, good job we're digital now and not still film. As I can feel a shed load of duds coming on.
Thanks, but it's not that difficult, yes you can!
I am just at my first astrophoto sessions (started 1 month ago after I got the K-1).
The key is to have a dark spot with a view to the south, and minimal light pollution and no cloud cover... and no moon!
The K-1 do the rest on a sturdy tripod and a remote trigger...
07-02-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
to have a dark spot with a view to the south, and minimal light pollution and no cloud cover... and no moon!
Living in the Highlands of Scotland, the first two are a given, but the cloud and moon bit... well they can be a bit on the variable side.

The K-1 do the rest on a sturdy tripod and a remote trigger...
Yep can do both of these two, so I guess bring it on.

07-10-2016, 05:28 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like a great result- fantastic detail! I think it's normal for the corners to show more motion with wider lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-11-2016, 01:46 AM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K1 without Astrotracer

https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13667960_1373714...g=eyJpIjoidCJ9
If You want to make panoramic multi shoot of the milkyway it's better to have a short exposure. For this one the exposure is 10 seconds at iso3200...
07-11-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bruno.cirou Quote
https://scontent-amt2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/13667960_1373714...g=eyJpIjoidCJ9
If You want to make panoramic multi shoot of the milkyway it's better to have a short exposure. For this one the exposure is 10 seconds at iso3200...
You have a great panorama of the Milky-Way Bruno!

My image above wasn't a multi-shoot image...
it,s normal that motion aberrations get removed when merging multi-images

this one was merged and you don't have the same effet...

La Voie lactée au dessus du Mont Glen/ The Milky Way over Glen's Mount

07-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #8

You have a great panorama of the Milky-Way Bruno!

My image above wasn't a multi-shoot image...
it,s normal that motion aberrations get removed when merging multi-images

this one was merged and you don't have the same effet...

La Voie lactée au dessus du Mont Glen/ The Milky Way over Glen's Mount
Great photograph guys. I have been trying to get similar results in my K-1, but thanks to light pollution in vain. I have question to Weevil, I gather the Rokinon 14mm f 2.8 & Bower 14mm f 2.8 lens are the same. Do these lenses damage / scratch the mounts on the K-1? During the launch period I came to know some Sigma lenses damaged the K-1. I am asking you this because I want to buy a wide angle lens soon.
07-13-2016, 01:50 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ajaybhatj Quote
Great photograph guys. I have been trying to get similar results in my K-1, but thanks to light pollution in vain. I have question to Weevil, I gather the Rokinon 14mm f 2.8 & Bower 14mm f 2.8 lens are the same. Do these lenses damage / scratch the mounts on the K-1? During the launch period I came to know some Sigma lenses damaged the K-1. I am asking you this because I want to buy a wide angle lens soon.
No, no problem at all with these lenses, I even have the Sigma 70-200, and it's close, but doesn't touche the camera body... I think it's more the recent Sigma lenses (art series) that are affected ...