Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
They are still here.
Lens: Pentax 55-300 Camera: K5IIs Photo Location: Saugus Ma. 
Posted By: charliezap, 08-24-2016, 10:17 AM

They are very active around the feeder even showing up after sundown.I would assume that they are getting ready for their trip South. "Tickets please"--charliezap

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Views: 868
08-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Excellent captures charliezap...real winners.
08-24-2016, 04:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great shots!
08-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's some serious sharpness in #2 charliezap. First one ain't no slouch either.

08-24-2016, 06:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful photography here sir.

Many thanks,

Antonio
08-25-2016, 08:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eaglem Quote
Excellent captures charliezap...real winners.
Thanks Em. The birds do all the heavy lifting. I just trip the shutter.--charliezap
08-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Very nice, I've been trying to get that one with the tail spread for a while now, so far no luck.

08-25-2016, 05:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Wonderful shots, Charliezap. I have also been taking pics of the hummers as their activity has picked up. I notice in your exif data that your technical settings are much slower than mine, but your images capture excellent detail without any motion. I assumed you used a flash, so I mounted my Safari rogue flash extender onto the pop-up flash and gave it a try. Even though my exposure time was the flash default of 1/180 ( f8 /ISO 100 ), my image still showed subject blur. I had my K5 & Sigma 120-400 mounted on a tripod (SR off) and used a corded exposure release in bright daylight (could this be the difference ?).

My images using a fast shutter speed of 1/1600 to 1/3200 using f8 come out quite well but I have to use an ISO of 1600. Can you share your method and experience on how you get such terrific shots ? Thanks for any help and suggestions.
08-26-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zman Quote
Wonderful shots, Charliezap. I have also been taking pics of the hummers as their activity has picked up. I notice in your exif data that your technical settings are much slower than mine, but your images capture excellent detail without any motion. I assumed you used a flash, so I mounted my Safari rogue flash extender onto the pop-up flash and gave it a try. Even though my exposure time was the flash default of 1/180 ( f8 /ISO 100 ), my image still showed subject blur. I had my K5 & Sigma 120-400 mounted on a tripod (SR off) and used a corded exposure release in bright daylight (could this be the difference ?).

My images using a fast shutter speed of 1/1600 to 1/3200 using f8 come out quite well but I have to use an ISO of 1600. Can you share your method and experience on how you get such terrific shots ? Thanks for any help and suggestions.
Hi Gary.Most of the time my feeders are in the shade and I use the flash to "paint" the picture hoping that the flash blends in with the ambient lighting. I use a Vivitar 285HV flash ($90) that has power settings. Full power has a flash duration of around 1/1000 sec and the yellow setting is 1/30,000 sec so I'm told.Most of the time I use the red setting because the yellow one requires me to be very close to the subject for it to be effective.--I hope this helps--charliezap
08-26-2016, 01:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
Great shots!
QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
That's some serious sharpness in #2 charliezap. First one ain't no slouch either.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Wonderful photography here sir.

Many thanks,

Antonio
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Very nice, I've been trying to get that one with the tail spread for a while now, so far no luck.
Thanks all. When you're shooting from 6ft away it's hard to miss getting a good shot.---charliezap