Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
The Old Mill at Midnight
Posted By: Colorado CJ, 08-28-2016, 12:38 PM

I was down in Denver racing Drones inside a concert one evening (I race drones with MultiGP as one of my other hobbies). The area where the concert was held is in an old industrial area, old warehouses, silos, and mills are everywhere.

As I walked back to my truck I looked up at the old mill as I was walking past and noticed the lights. Some of them were flickering on and off. In one window it looked like an old tv set was on as the light in one window was changing colors. With the low clouds and the area I was in, I can tell you, it was spooky, like something out of an old horror movie.

Luckily, I had a camera in my truck, an old Mamiya C3 TLR I just bought. I metered the scene with a Gossen Luna Pro F,and balanced the camera on the side of my truck, trying to hold it as still as I could, then took a 15 second exposure, it was dark.

Here's what I captured. Shot with a 65mm f3.5 lens on Fuji Neopan Acros 100 rated at 50 and developed in Pyrocat MC for 12 minutes.

I LOVE film, and this is just one reason why. It would have been hard to capture the mood with my DSLR.
Views: 715
08-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like it, but can you explain why you wouldn't be able to capture the mood with a DSLR? Hats off for the skills involved in capturing it, I don't think I'd be able to do it (it'd be terribly over or underexposed...), but it seems like a shot a DSLR can capture. I'm not too familiar with film, so I'm curious.

Last edited by kadajawi; 08-28-2016 at 01:54 PM.
08-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does look like a somewhat aged building. Nice shot.
08-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
What I meant is than a DSLR can't capture the tonal range that medium or large format B&W film can. Don't get me wrong DSLRs are great, I have quite a few, even full format, but there is just something tangibly different with film that I just can't get from digital.

You probably can't see it on Web sized images, but the full size image on a calibrated monitor it is noticable.

I've done side by side comparisons with my D600 and my medium and large format film cameras using the same tripod and shooting the same image within seconds of eachother. I always favor the medium or large format film image over the digital every time.

08-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colorado CJ Quote
What I meant is than a DSLR can't capture the tonal range that medium or large format B&W film can. Don't get me wrong DSLRs are great, I have quite a few, even full format, but there is just something tangibly different with film that I just can't get from digital.

You probably can't see it on Web sized images, but the full size image on a calibrated monitor it is noticable.

I've done side by side comparisons with my D600 and my medium and large format film cameras using the same tripod and shooting the same image within seconds of eachother. I always favor the medium or large format film image over the digital every time.
I see. Yeah, film has that advantage, though I imagine with multiple exposures and some processing you should be able to capture the same range.