Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Likes  #1
Piel Castle, Piel Island
Lens: Pentax DA*60-250 with HD DA1.4x Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Piel Island, UK 
Posted By: BigMackCam, 08-29-2016, 02:06 PM

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I just got back from my second stay this year on tiny Piel Island, near Barrow-in-Furness in the North West of England. While I was there, a couple of of the lads I met offered to take me out in their RIB so I could get a few photos I might not otherwise have been able to. Very kind of them indeed, and I owe them a pint or two next time I visit!

This photo is of the ruins of Piel Castle, an impressive 14th century fortress. Processed in LR6 and Color Efex Pro.

Thanks for looking

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-29-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Views: 1,373
08-29-2016, 02:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I love this photo - makes me want to buckle on a sword and shield and go forth to defeat the King's enemies! Great shot.

What a wonderful place to visit; I envy you.

Jer
08-29-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, Jer It's only about 120 miles west of me by road, then just a few minutes by ferry, so quite convenient to visit for a long weekend break
08-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This photo is of the ruins of Piel Castle, an impressive 14th century fortress
Great image Mike brimming with history, and it really evokes the imagination like Jer says. As Australia was discovered quite late in historical terms, I think our oldest building still standing is from about the early 1800's !!! ( a baby ) Thanks for posting it.

08-30-2016, 12:08 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Many thanks, Peter - much appreciated Every country has it's particular attractions, I guess, and historic architecture is one of ours. We're certainly not short of castles!!

Last edited by BigMackCam; 08-30-2016 at 12:23 AM.
08-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wonderful photography here. Your efforts have been very rewarding for you. (And us ))).

Many thanks,

Antonio
08-30-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you, Antonio - that's kind of you. It was a difficult scene to capture, primarily due to the choppy movement of the small rubber boat I was standing in!

08-30-2016, 08:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Amazing, I spent many years in NW England and have never heard of this place. Putting it on my to-do list next visit!
08-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Amazing, I spent many years in NW England and have never heard of this place. Putting it on my to-do list next visit!
Honestly, I'm not so surprised by that. Ours is a small country, and I've lived here all my life, yet I only found out about Piel earlier this year, after reading about it in an excellent little book called "Tiny Islands" by Dixe Wills. It's definitely worth visiting
02-08-2022, 02:13 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I just got back from my second stay this year on tiny Piel Island, near Barrow-in-Furness in the North West of England. While I was there, a couple of of the lads I met offered to take me out in their RIB so I could get a few photos I might not otherwise have been able to. Very kind of them indeed, and I owe them a pint or two next time I visit!

This photo is of the ruins of Piel Castle, an impressive 14th century fortress. Processed in LR6 and Color Efex Pro.

Thanks for looking
This news article made me think of you Mike.
Worldwide interest in becoming king or queen of Cumbrian island | Stuff.co.nz

I think you may need to put in a job application!
02-08-2022, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
This news article made me think of you Mike.
Worldwide interest in becoming king or queen of Cumbrian island | Stuff.co.nz

I think you may need to put in a job application!
I saw something about that on our local news a few weeks ago, Mark! Yes, Steve and Sheila (who ran the island's Ship Inn) have apparently retired - which is sad in one sense, because they did such a great job, but happy in another, as I assume they'll be able to enjoy a far less taxing life in their golden years If I lived alone, I might actually be tempted to apply... It's a tiny but wonderful little island, and I'd love to live on it full time. The inn is a good little business (and could be even better, IMGO), and the island is so small that the additional care-taking responsibilities seem very manageable...
02-08-2022, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think "King Mike" has a lovely ring to it too!