Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Because you can never see enough pictures of Andromeda ......
Lens: Sigma 70-300mm f5.6 Macro Camera: K-3II Photo Location: Backyard 
Posted By: Ian.morgan, 10-20-2016, 01:54 PM

After a long period of being unable to get in the garden, I finally managed to get outside and take about 10 shots of Andromeda whilst there was a break in cloud, and before the lens got fogged by dew. I was lazy on this night, so I didn't bother taking any darks, but here is the result, which I think is my first decent attempt at Andromeda with the K3-ii

For those interested in such matters, this was generated from about 10 shots similar to this one, stacked in DeepSkyStacker, then imported into Photoshop CC (I finally gave up and paid for it), with the FITSPLUG2 software, then enhanced with some tweaking of levels, curves, saturation, contrast and sharpening.
I also use Russel Cronan's Gradient Xterminator to get rid of some of the light polution. (In demo mode).
It would have benefitted from some darks, and more images in general.

What is even more interesting (To me at least), is that I then attempted a similar image with Pixelshift, and although I didn't perfectly match the exposure times, I think the result is quite clear: Pixelshift in this case is not massively better resolution, but the colour capture is a huge improvement for night sky photography:

Hope this is as interesting to someone else as it is to me
Views: 850
10-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot! Pixel shift is a noticeable improvement on colour. You probably could have got the WB closer in the first purple-hued image. The last frame shows the stars to be over-saturated. Some prefer their stars to bleed but not me.
10-20-2016, 07:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. Will have a play with the WB.