Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Towers of Power and Despair
Lens: Tamron 28-200 Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Grand Coulee, WA 
Posted By: 45 Mike, 10-25-2016, 12:26 PM

As a side note of possible interest, the photos I posted today were taken yesterday while I wandered down some gravel roads, PUBLIC ROADS.

After I took these shots, I stopped to get a picture of the grange, in an earlier post.

A truck pulled up beside me and asked me what I was doing.
I told him I was taking pictures.
He asked me what I was taking pictures of.

I shrugged, and said, "Stuff, just whatever looks interesting, you know, stuff."

He then informed me that I was trespassing.

I shook my head and said, "This is a public road, I am not trespassing."

He told me that as far as he was concerned, I WAS trespassing, and that I should leave, and never come back.

I said, "I'm not doing anything illegal, if you think I am, then call the police."

He called me several obscene names, and drove off.

I took the pictures of the grange, then noticed he had turned around and was coming back.

As he approached I smiled and waved, then I noticed he had a pistol in his right hand and was waving that at me to show me how serious he was.

This is what happened. Any thoughts, comments?
Views: 1,091
10-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unusual. I moved here because of how friendly I found the people of Washington to be.
10-25-2016, 02:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Nice photos. The dark exposure works.

Did you call the police to report someone menacing you with a firearm?
10-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photos. Moody.

I would have called the police and reported his license plate and description for brandishing a firearm. It's assault to threaten you with harm.

10-25-2016, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rimfiredude Quote
Unusual. I moved here because of how friendly I found the people of Washington to be.
Yes. I have had several rancher/farmer types stop and ask what I am doing near their properties. Most are satisfied that I am a photographer, and not a criminal. In fact I actually appreciate that the guy was concerned for his land, his equipment and people. Most of these ranches are miles away from any neighbors and need to be rather self sufficient for security.

I was fine with his suspicious queries, but yeah pulling the gun, was out of line. I think he was just heavily invested in his fantasy about my criminal intent, and simply could not emotionally comprehend that he was simply mistaken.

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 19:11 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Nice photos. The dark exposure works.

Did you call the police to report someone menacing you with a firearm?
Thanks.
No, I considered that. Then realized that the legal consequences far outweighed the seriousness of the act.
He was just trying to protect his farm, family and equipment. He does not need the legal system involved destroying his life, farm and family.

It's a small community, I am rather certain that the word will get to him that he needs to cool his jets. Guns are not toys.
he does not get to bully his way in matters of public access to the road.

---------- Post added 10-25-16 at 19:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by yucatanPentax Quote
Nice photos. Moody.

I would have called the police and reported his license plate and description for brandishing a firearm. It's assault to threaten you with harm.

Thanks, I like the edits I made.

Yeah, technically it's a felony intimidation with a firearm.
But, he just needs a social adjustment, not a legal nightmare.
10-26-2016, 06:44 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting story, very nice pictures.
10-26-2016, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice photos, and I commend your cool & reasoned response towards this guy.

10-26-2016, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

The guy isn't going to get his "social adjustment" if his victims continue to dismiss his actions. The legal nightmare might stop him from shooting someone, or someone from shooting him.
10-27-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The guy isn't going to get his "social adjustment" if his victims continue to dismiss his actions. The legal nightmare might stop him from shooting someone, or someone from shooting him.
I have to agree. It is not "protecting your farm, family, and equipment" to be waving a weapon at someone on a public road. Nor is calling someone several obscenities for being on a public road. That isn't normal behavior and someone will end up hurt.
10-27-2016, 08:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote

As a side note of possible interest, the photos I posted today were taken yesterday while I wandered down some gravel roads, PUBLIC ROADS.

After I took these shots, I stopped to get a picture of the grange, in an earlier post.

A truck pulled up beside me and asked me what I was doing.
I told him I was taking pictures.
He asked me what I was taking pictures of.

I shrugged, and said, "Stuff, just whatever looks interesting, you know, stuff."

He then informed me that I was trespassing.

I shook my head and said, "This is a public road, I am not trespassing."

He told me that as far as he was concerned, I WAS trespassing, and that I should leave, and never come back.

I said, "I'm not doing anything illegal, if you think I am, then call the police."

He called me several obscene names, and drove off.

I took the pictures of the grange, then noticed he had turned around and was coming back.

As he approached I smiled and waved, then I noticed he had a pistol in his right hand and was waving that at me to show me how serious he was.

This is what happened. Any thoughts, comments?
People have spent time in jail for doing less.
10-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Great shots!