Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Tripod mounting screw stuck in camera!!!

Hello,

I'm in a real pickle and need some help! First a little background... I'm backpacking around Asia and just the other day lost my ball head for my tripod. Right now I'm in Northern Laos so there isn't exactly any camera shops around. No big deal, I'll just have to wait a couple more weeks before I can get to a major city and buy one. So in the mean time I was mounting my camera straight onto the tripod. Worked fine it was just a hassle to get my composition right. Anyway just today the tripod fell with the camera attached and sadly the mount where the screw goes in has come loose. Now I have a mounting screw stuck in the bottom of my camera!

I have tried to remove the screws from the camera to see if the bottom would just fall off, however it seems I can't remove the bottom with a great big mounting screw stuck in it!

Any ideas???

Attached Images

05-24-2011, 02:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Can it be twisted off with a piece of rubber?
05-24-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You will need two nuts screw them on to the thread then tighten them against each other as tight as you can. use the bottom nut to unscrew them post.
Your best bet would be a light engineering shop or mechcanics
05-24-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just looking at it...

Get two 1/4"x20 nuts and put them on shaft. Unscrew with wrench using the bottom nut.

1/4-20 screw is very standard throughout the world.

05-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

If nothing else, grab the bolt with a pair of pliers and turn it.
05-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good ideas all around however the mounting screw actually spins when I turn it. I think the bit where the mounting screw meets the camera is actually broken inside. Because at the moment not only does the screw spin in the base of camera but it can actually wiggle, a bit like a loose tooth....
05-24-2011, 05:54 AM   #7

Then it is probably a case of removing the bottom plate. It should then be fairly easy the unscrew the bolt. You will need a good screwdriver to do it and quite possibly a tube of super glue the stick the broken plastic piece back on!

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by kyles_jollies Quote
Good ideas all around however the mounting screw actually spins when I turn it. I think the bit where the mounting screw meets the camera is actually broken inside. Because at the moment not only does the screw spin in the base of camera but it can actually wiggle, a bit like a loose tooth....

05-24-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

With only rudimentary tools available..... File a slit in the bottom of the stud, then use a screwdriver to unscrew it. Pliers may be an option as well if you can get a good grip. Rubber, as stated, may well work too. I wouldn't take the bottom off the camera.
05-24-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fccwpe Quote
With only rudimentary tools available..... File a slit in the bottom of the stud, then use a screwdriver to unscrew it. Pliers may be an option as well if you can get a good grip. Rubber, as stated, may well work too. I wouldn't take the bottom off the camera.
From what the OP is describing, taking the bottom plate off is the only option.
05-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

There is a service manual here for the K10D.

Downloads

There is a photo of the bottom of the camera removed in the manual.
It shows a small metal plate for the tripod mount. Yours seems to have stripped threads or something. You might need to order a new part from Pentax.
05-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #11
Veteran Member

you should be able to use what is the tool and die industry standard fix for threads, the Helicoil
hear is a site that sells them but you should be able to get one at most any machine shop supplies
when you try to get it out, pull outwords to put pressure on the bolt while you are turning it with pliers which might work well

good luck

HeliCoil Screw Head Inserts and Thread Repair Kits | Babco Tools Canada's Source for Automotive Tools
05-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #12

From the issue, my opinion is that it has to be taken in to a proper repair shop and taken apart and fixed. If the mount is spinning inside the body, then the part inside the body is broken and need fixing/replacing.
05-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Take the camera to a local mechanic shop and borrow a vice grip and unscrew it out or pay the mechanic a small sum to have it removed. It should be a simple operation.
05-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

In that case, just remove the bottom plate and unscrew it. It's a 5min job. Something is probably torn off.

Last edited by wlachan; 05-24-2011 at 02:46 PM.
05-24-2011, 02:41 PM   #15
Veteran Member

OK, yeah, you have damage inside, sounds clear enough.

To remove the tripod bolt, I suggest just trying to cock it sideways enough to hopefully put enough pressure on the mounting socket to hold it still enough while you unscrew the mounting bolt with vise grips, or , better, use that trick with the two nuts tightened against each other someone else mentioned. I'd also try to at least put some thumb-pressure on the side of the bottom plate where the tripod mounting might otherwise want to bend upward.

If that fails, you might just want to hacksaw that off till you can get proper repairs or tools.