Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

dropped Kr, lost autofocus

so the strap came loose on the Kr while in animal kingdom last week with the 55-300 mounted. it only fell from waist level, landed on the hood of the lense and scratched it. at first I was relieved thinking the only damage was on the hood, but when I proceeded to shoot I couldn't autofocus. liveview has no effect, no autofocus sounds are heard, and I can shake the camera and feel something loose/rattling inside. I tried 3 different lenses and nothing. I was able to shoot the rest of vacation focusing manually.

has anyone had a similar repair? is it worth the cost or is it time to shop for a new one?

04-17-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey! Too bad that happened. Digital cameras are not as tough as old, metal SLRs used to be. Waist-elvel is plenty high, but it really depends on the angle of the fall (and what it falls on). What does the camera say? Does it just say MF all the time, or does it say AF (AF.A, AF.S, AF.C)? Also, look at the camera mount to see if the screw drive is damaged or not.

Either way, the K-r is probably out of warranty and it would cost more to fix than to buy a new one. You can send it in to a repair place and ask them to tell you how much it costs before attempting to fix it. Because it might be cheaper to buy another K-r. Or even a K-30 (and you get some new features, a better image sensor, and WR in case you have any WR lenses)
The other thing you can do, is just use the K-r in manual focus. Especially if you have any manual lenses, in that case you don't lose anything.

Oh and I just got another idea! Does the focus confirm in the viewfinder work? Do you have any lenses that allow the Catch in focus feature?
04-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pizzavandriver Quote
so the strap came loose on the Kr while in animal kingdom last week with the 55-300 mounted. it only fell from waist level, landed on the hood of the lense and scratched it. at first I was relieved thinking the only damage was on the hood, but when I proceeded to shoot I couldn't autofocus. liveview has no effect, no autofocus sounds are heard, and I can shake the camera and feel something loose/rattling inside. I tried 3 different lenses and nothing. I was able to shoot the rest of vacation focusing manually.

has anyone had a similar repair? is it worth the cost or is it time to shop for a new one?
The exact same thing happened to my K-x...I've been full manual ever since. I was really pissed when it happened, but in a way I feel that it was a blessing in disguise. Sorry for your loss, but I don't think that it is fixable.