Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2014, 05:51 AM   #1

K-x Flash Doesn't Pop Up - Not Setting or Lens Related

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently purchased a used K-x for a smoking price with the knowledge that the pop-up flash doesn't pop up. I received the camera and it is in flawless condition, aside from the aforementioned flash. It seriously looks brand new. I have an external flash that I can use when I need to, so not having the pop-up isn't really an issue, other than that it would be nice when I don't have the external.

Pressing the flash release button does nothing. Is there mechanical linkage between the button and the flash, or is it an electronic release? Does anyone have an approximation on the cost of getting the pop-up fixed? I got the camera cheap enough that a repair may still keep it under what the camera usually sells for.

Thanks!

04-19-2014, 08:40 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by matlobi Quote
I recently purchased a used K-x for a smoking price with the knowledge that the pop-up flash doesn't pop up. Pressing the flash release button does nothing. Is there mechanical linkage between the button and the flash, or is it an electronic release? I got the camera cheap enough that a repair may still keep it under what the camera usually sells for.
Appears you won this auction over me. I had the same idea.

The flash seems to be electrically released, otherwise, it would rise while the camera was turned off.
04-19-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Appears you won this auction over me. I had the same idea.

The flash seems to be electrically released, otherwise, it would rise while the camera was turned off.
Yes sir, that's the one. The condition really is much finer than they said in the description.

I feared it was electronically released, thanks for the confirmation. It'll probably be cost prohibitive to have it repaired in that case. Not a big deal, really, since I do have the external flash.
04-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about the K-x, but I have a K10D and a K-3 in front of me and both have a mechanical linkage in the form of a small catch that is released by the flash button. The release is purely mechanical and works even with the battery out.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-19-2014 at 07:12 PM.
04-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't know about the K-x, but I have a K10D and a K-3 in front of me and both have a mechanical linkage in the form of a small catch that is released by the flash button. The release if purely mechanical and works even with the battery out.
Interesting observation. My *istDL, K100D, and K200D are all electronic release and have the flash button on the back of the body. However, my K-30 is indeed mechanically released, and has the flash button on the side of the body, like the K-3.

So, it appears if the flash button is located on the back, it requires a battery and electronics to release, and if located on the side, it does not require a battery and is mechanically released.

The K-x flash button is on the back, and is probably electronically released. Obviously, mechanical release appears to be more reliable.