Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2014, 01:34 AM   #1

Pentax K/5 Unrecognised lens

Hi all
My own Pentax K 5 has started not to recognising my kit lens SIGMA 18/50 f/3.5 5.6 DC.
It means, when the lens is mounted on the camera and I switch it on, the camera asks me to insert the lens focal length, instead of directly showing me the chosen program and then allowing me to shoot.
I have tried to clean the electrical contacts both on the lens and on the camera body, but with no result.
Can anybody please help me on solving this issue?

04-24-2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you seeing any wear or looseness on the camera or lens mount?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #3

Original Poster
No, it's perfect.
Camera and lens never hit the ground or had similar incidents
04-24-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Not familiar with this lens, but does it have an aperture ring?

04-24-2014, 10:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Aperture ring

No it doesn't have any aperture ring
04-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos On the Road Quote
No it doesn't have any aperture ring
The body is not detecting the "A" contact on the mount. In order for your lens to be detected correctly, there needs to be electrical continuity between the center of the "A" contact and the mount face. This can be tested with an ohmmeter if you have one.

For a contact map see: Features and Operation of the Ka Mount. The "A" contact is labeled "*" in the diagram.

Are you able to check functionality with a different lens?

Steve
04-25-2014, 12:20 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you, this is useful.
All other lenses are perfectly functional.
I had the same issue years ago with a sigma 70-300 that was damaged by hitting the ground.
I have also located the A contact. I have a ohmmeter but i am not sure how to use it in this case

04-25-2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thank you, this is useful.
All other lenses are perfectly functional.
I had the same issue years ago with a sigma 70-300 that was damaged by hitting the ground.
I have also located the A contact. I have a ohmmeter but i am not sure how to use it in this case
Well, there you go. The problem is probably with the lens. Test for continuity (0 resistance) across the center of the lens A contact to the face of the lens mount. If the circuit is not open, the lens will not be recognized as supporting automated aperture control by the body.

Steve
04-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, there you go. The problem is probably with the lens. Test for continuity (0 resistance) across the center of the lens A contact to the face of the lens mount. If the circuit is not open, the lens will not be recognized as supporting automated aperture control by the body.

Steve
Thanks a lot.
And provided, is it the lens do you think the only solution is to throw it away and buy a new one or is there a way to fix it? Thank you again.
04-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks a lot.
And provided, is it the lens do you think the only solution is to throw it away and buy a new one or is there a way to fix it? Thank you again.
It may be something as simple as a loose wire or a broken solder joint. I can't say what the cost or effort to fix might be.

Steve
04-26-2014, 04:49 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It may be something as simple as a loose wire or a broken solder joint. I can't say what the cost or effort to fix might be.

Steve
Thank you very much for your help.

Giuseppe