Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #1

Pentax K-5 and White Lightning 10000 bcps

My question is a simple one but i couldn't find the answer anywhere online.
The white lightning 10000 bcps light from Paul Buff was made in the 80's. I just recently got my hands on one but was a little worried about connecting it to my camera with the sync cord.
I have found that the sync voltage for the light is 24 volts.
Is it safe to hook this thing up to my camera with the cord?
What is the max voltage that the Pentax K-5 can handle without hurting it?

Photo is for reference only. From B&H.

Attached Images

07-08-2014, 05:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

http://www.paulcbuff.com/manuals/wl5k10k.pdf
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
07-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The OP already determined the voltage to be 24V. The question is whether that is above threshold for the K-5 for its PC connector. This question has come up before with other flash units and I wish I knew the answer.

Steve
07-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The OP already determined the voltage to be 24V. The question is whether that is above threshold for the K-5 for its PC connector. This question has come up before with other flash units and I wish I knew the answer.

Steve
Time to contact Pentax, I'd say, or buy one of the interfaces which isolates the HV from the camera. Sure don't want to fry your K5.

07-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Yes the voltage is of a concern however if one reads the manual, It can be used remotely if the xsync voltage is of a concern. That is why I provided the link to it.

also;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/9245-k...0-10000-a.html
07-08-2014, 11:06 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Yes the voltage is of a concern however if one reads the manual, It can be used remotely if the xsync voltage is of a concern. That is why I provided the link to it.

also;
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/9245-k...0-10000-a.html
Cool! It was not particularly clear what the purpose of the posted links was.

Steve
07-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Still doesn't answer my question.

My question is... What is the max voltage the Pentax K-5 can handle safely?
I have a sync cable, not a remote triggering system. If the answer is to throw more money at it... I may be in the wrong place.

07-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kristinleeone Quote
My question is... What is the max voltage the Pentax K-5 can handle safely?
I have a sync cable, not a remote triggering system. If the answer is to throw more money at it... I may be in the wrong place.
This question has come up every once in awhile ever since the PC socket was included on the K20D. I did a little rummaging around in the PF archives and found this post that might be helpful:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/85528-k7-maximum...ml#post1016136

Nass, the commenter, is a moderator here at PF and may be able to help via private message.

You might also want to spend some time with the manual linked above. The White Lightning may be triggered using the on-board flash, though only in manual mode (no P-TTL pre-flash). A hot shoe pc socket adapter would be less than $15 and worth the investment if you are serious about using your White Lightning kit. All that failing, Blue Moon in Portland's St. John's district may accept your kit to sell on consignment. Ditto for Knight Camera in Vancouver.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-09-2014 at 07:26 PM.
07-10-2014, 05:34 AM   #9
Pentaxian

.. I may be in the wrong place.
You may well be considering none who have posted are Pentax engineers... Have you contacted them for a clear and precise answer that will satisfy you? My posting was to only show the unit you have has "built in" Slave and flash remote trigger capabilities.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 07-10-2014 at 07:38 AM.
07-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
Tested at 24v

So after doing a lot of sniffing around i still couldn't get a straight answer anywhere.
Then i decided, "what the hell, why not just give it a shot".
I mean... what's the worst that could go wrong.
So if you would like to know... the answer is yes.
The Pentax K-5 can handle 24v at the on camera PCsync with a cord.
So... now that we got that cleared up.
07-10-2014, 07:54 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So after doing a lot of sniffing around i still couldn't get a straight answer anywhere.
Then i decided, "what the hell, why not just give it a shot".
I mean... what's the worst that could go wrong.
So if you would like to know... the answer is yes.
The Pentax K-5 can handle 24v at the on camera PCsync with a cord.
So... now that we got that cleared up.
Cool!

It is a shame that Pentax does not publish the specification. After all, they added the feature to the cameras and do not sell any corded flashes.

Steve