Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Card error

Yesterday, and first time ever I experienced a card error. I do not remember the exact error message, but I'm sure "card error" was in there.

The card has been used before and was formatted prior to the photo session. I took some 2-3 photos before the error message showed. I formatted it again and was able to use it, but to be on the safe side, I swapped it with a different card.

How do I test the card?

08-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #2

If you have a card reader for your PC or Mac you can try formatting the card with SD Formatter

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

This should catch some errors.

If you are running a PC a benchmark program Crystal Disk Mark should show any read/write errors.

CrystalDiskMark - Software - Crystal Dew World

You can only write to the memory a finite number of times. After that you start getting errors. If you had the card for a while and used it heavily it may just be time for a new card.
08-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Why bother? They're cheap enough, so don't risk a failure, buy a replacement, but if you want to test, download H2testw.
08-20-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the links. I already have Chrystial Disk Mark installed and will give it a try with that.

JohnX: That's a good point. I suppose I want to make sure it's the card and not the camera.

08-24-2014, 12:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a program called h2testw that can check your cards (Windows). You can do a search here (and elsewhere on the web) to find more info. For Linux, badblocks can do the same.
08-24-2014, 02:18 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Why bother? They're cheap enough, so don't risk a failure, buy a replacement
+1 on this, just ditch it and move on, that having been said, I use SanDisk Extreme cards and I don't think I've ever had a failure.

However I do renew mine every six months, so perhaps that's why, cards are the cheap bit as I'm old enough to remember film.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 08-24-2014 at 03:55 AM.
08-24-2014, 03:07 AM   #7
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
+1 on this, just ditch it and move on, that having been said, I use SanDisk Extreme cards and I don't think I've ever had a failure.

However I do renew mine every six months, so perhaps that's why, cards are the cheap bit as I'm older enough to remember film.
Exactly so. I have had a few cards fail over the years. There is no way I will reuse a card that has shown any kind of suspicious behaviour. With time I have realised that buying quality cards really is worth it.

My past experience with card failures, few as they are, was an important factor when I got the K-3 with its dual card slots. No more losing pictures due to bad cards

08-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My oldest is 4 years old and still working, and I do shoot a lot. I tested and used the card since the error and didn't experience anything bad.

All cards are SanDisk except for a single Kingston card.
08-24-2014, 04:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Yesterday, and first time ever I experienced a card error. I do not remember the exact error message, but I'm sure "card error" was in there.

The card has been used before and was formatted prior to the photo session. I took some 2-3 photos before the error message showed. I formatted it again and was able to use it, but to be on the safe side, I swapped it with a different card.

How do I test the card?
"Card error" can occur if the SD card write-protection lock is on, just make sure that it is not accidentally moved to on when putting the SD card into the camera.
08-24-2014, 04:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When a card is write protected, my K-30 won't take the shot at all on AF-S/C, and when in manual focus mode, it will say "Card is locked". Beside this I also get a locked card icon in all modes, on the display.

I deliberately used the card yesterday, to see how it would behave in a real life scenario and filled it up entirely without anything going on. It's possibly it was a rare fluke and I'm currently not worried about the card being too old or anything like that.

I have other and older card, which have also been used much more frequently, and so far not had card related problems* (but sure, there is a first for anything).

*two of my (previously) most used cards have the lock mechanism break off. They are still working fine with some tape applied to them