Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax LX shutter stuck in the cocked position

I received today a Pentax LX that I bought through an e-bay auction. I received it with the shutter stuck in the cocked position, and of course ,the rapid lever will not advance: How do I fix this problem. Are there any tricks I could try too see if it would un-stick or, this is something that a professional will have to take care of?

I would like to keep it, but if repairing it would be too much, i would return it. Any inputs?

Thanks

08-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #2

Since you are in the US I would contact Eric Hendrickson and see about getting a repair estimate. If there is a simple DIY fix he will probably advise you.

Home

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/105296-penta...ndrickson.html
08-21-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ Not a number: Thanks. I already have his info. Tomorrow I will be calling him. I was hoping that there was something I could try today, in the meantime.
08-21-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for the obvious one, but have you changed the battery? I've also ran into many situations where people purchased new batteries from the drug store which were dead out of the box. It takes two 76 batteries, and they really should be purchased from a camera shop and/or checked before purchasing.

08-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
@ FrankC: Thanks for your input. That was the first thing I checked with my tester. It was completely dead on arrival (one 3V). I took two 1.5V (they tested at at 1.4v) from one of my other cameras to try, and the metering system is working fine now, but the shutter release is still stuck. The shutter curtain is closed, the mirror is down, the camera is not on automatic. Looks like a have a problem.
08-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #6

The LX shutter can be cocked and triggered without a battery. Just set the the shutter speed from "X" to 1/2000.

A copy of the manual can be found here
http://www.butkus.org/chinon/pentax/pentax_lx/pentax_lx.pdf

or here (password Pentax)

http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_lx_manual_s.pdf
08-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye you do have an issue, the LX can work independently of batteries across a whole range of shutter speeds, good luck with Eric.

08-23-2014, 02:54 PM   #8

Sorry for the super obvious one, but have you made sure the shutter lock is not engaged?
08-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Apart from the last good suggestion. Is the mirror stuck? A lot of times an older LX has damping rubbers for the mirror that deteriorate and the mirror will sometimes get stuck in an odd position or even in the normal position making it impossible to release the shutter.
When that happens you need to get the small rubbers replaced by a newer type that does not age.
Helping the mirror gently (with no lens fitted) when you release the shutter will sometimes help, but be careful not to break something.
Cleaning the rubbers won't help, because they will get sticky soon again.
Only replacing the rubbers by the correct type will help.
06-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bvanes Quote
Apart from the last good suggestion. Is the mirror stuck? A lot of times an older LX has damping rubbers for the mirror that deteriorate and the mirror will sometimes get stuck in an odd position or even in the normal position making it impossible to release the shutter.
When that happens you need to get the small rubbers replaced by a newer type that does not age.
Helping the mirror gently (with no lens fitted) when you release the shutter will sometimes help, but be careful not to break something.
Cleaning the rubbers won't help, because they will get sticky soon again.
Only replacing the rubbers by the correct type will help.
Dear bvanes, do you have an idea where to buy the new rubbers?
09-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Pete Quote
Dear bvanes, do you have an idea where to buy the new rubbers?
In the past every Pentax repair man had those rubbers. I had my LX repaired years ago. Maybe an old repair shop still has a set.

09-25-2017, 04:47 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm assuming you've opened the back to make sure there's not a roll of film in the camera, right? I'm asking because I ran across an old Petri at a Goodwill shop that people kept picking up, trying to cock the shutter, then putting it back down. The film advance seemed to be broken. The actual problem was that there was a roll of film in the camera and it had been wound to the absolute end of the roll by people constantly trying it. That kept the shutter from being fully cocked. All I did was hit the release button on the bottom of the camera, open the back, and take out the film. After that, the camera worked fine. I can't remember if the LX is this way, but some cameras will also stop once the frame counter gets past about 38 or 39. Hitting the film release and opening the back will reset the counter. Last, but not least, you might try the self timer. I've had some luck in using the self timer to make a camera fire that didn't want to otherwise. Good luck!
10-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Oh, I see replies post from last month. my original post was on 8/2014. So for all of you, update: as I said on my second post, I was sending the camera to Mr. Hendrickson. I did he fixed the camera and it's working perfectly. He is the best.
05-14-2019, 02:57 PM   #14

I also bought an LX in a very good condition but with the stuck shutter in the cocked position (it is not a sticky mirror, the mirror is down and there's no film in the camera). One guy told me he had a similar problem with his MX. Then he opened the bottom cover and managed to find a lever that made the shutter fire. After that the problem was gone.
I also opened the bottom cover of my LX but, unfortunately, wasn't able to find the right lever so far. Could anyone, please, help me? I also noticed that when I turn the aperture ring to the A position, the viewfinder turns dim.
http://www.penta-club.ru/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=atta...tach_id=398533