Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-28-2014, 09:43 AM   #1

Using shake control?

I tried the shake control versus no shake control on my K01 at 1/1000 of a sec with a 200mm lens. I did not see any difference in the pohotos with and without the shake control. Is there a cutoff point where shutter speed that does not offer more sharpness with shake control on?

Should shake control be left on all the time even if it does not help with high shutter speeds? Or is there a downfall is leaving it on all the time?

Thanks

08-28-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You should turn it off when on a tripod or other stationary surface, and when panning.

At really fast shutter speeds or with shorter lenses the effect will not be so noticeable.
08-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ilovemypentax Quote
I tried the shake control versus no shake control on my K01 at 1/1000 of a sec with a 200mm lens. I did not see any difference in the pohotos with and without the shake control. Is there a cutoff point where shutter speed that does not offer more sharpness with shake control on?

Should shake control be left on all the time even if it does not help with high shutter speeds? Or is there a downfall is leaving it on all the time?

Thanks
At 1/1000s you're not going to get any camera shake anyway. SR is the most useful when you're shooting at very slow shutter speeds that would otherwise almost always result in blur, such as 1/20s or 1/10s (note that the longer the focal length, the earlier you'll be able to observe camera shake).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
Instead of bothering turning it off and on does it hurt to leave it on all the time?

08-28-2014, 10:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I always leave it on. When I'm shooting from a tripod, I trigger the camera either with the 2 sec. timer or the IR remote, which automatically disables the SR.
08-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have permanently turned my SR off.

I shoot two kinds of subjects, landscapes on tripod with long shutter speeds and MUP, which turns off the SR anyway, and wildlife at 300mm and 1/1250 sec or higher. SR actually SLOWS DOWN my time to focus lock as the camera figures things out so if the subject is moving its a hindrance, if the subject COULD move quickly, I need a focus lock as quickly as possible and that extra 1/4 sec for SR used to cost me shots. Most of the sports shooters I know, use a monopod and turn off SR as well.

I think the only reason to USE SR would be for lower light slow moving subjects where a tripod is impossible, such as family gatherings, weddings or street shooting.
08-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #7

Does anyone know if using RF on the K3 will automatically turn off Shake Reduction as Johnyates indicated above on his K5?

08-28-2014, 12:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Any time your shutter speed is Faster than the focal length of your lens it will reduce shake. In the case of Pentax aps-c cameras it is 1 1/2 times the focal length of the lens.
08-28-2014, 01:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Any time your shutter speed is Faster than the focal length of your lens it will reduce shake. In the case of Pentax aps-c cameras it is 1 1/2 times the focal length of the lens.
Note however, while the golden rule for film was for 1/focal length, this was defined as a point source being distorted to 1/100 of an inch on an 8x10 print, and is similar to the blur from the limits of depth of field.

For APS -C sensors, this has become 1/(FL x 1.5) to account for the crop factor, but again that implies an 8x10 inch print. Crop in further or print larger and you will need even higher shutter speeds for the same shot to maintain the same 1/100 inch circle of confusion on the final print
08-28-2014, 01:38 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I also turn my SR off if I'm using an old manual zoom (ie, one that won't tell the camera the focal length its at). It took me a while, but I realized eventually that the SR was doing more harm than good in that situation.
08-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I also turn my SR off if I'm using an old manual zoom (ie, one that won't tell the camera the focal length its at). It took me a while, but I realized eventually that the SR was doing more harm than good in that situation.
I will have to give that a try one of these days. Are you saying that there is some sort of special sharing of SR information (other than the lens id) when when an auto-focus lens is mounted?

Steve
08-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will have to give that a try one of these days. Are you saying that there is some sort of special sharing of SR information (other than the lens id) when when an auto-focus lens is mounted?

Steve
I think here it is because the camera would not know the correct FL to choose for the optimum SR. Some people just use a FL mid-point, or nothing.
08-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
I know with my two Sigmas, my kit lens, and my old 28-90 the lens tell the camera "I'm at XXmm". A zoom thats only an 'A' (or lower) can't tell the camera where it its zoomed to, so the camera will just use whatever SR setting it was at last.

I'm not sure when the lenses started communicating focal length to the cameras - my FA28-90 and my rickety old Sigma 70-300 both communicate it, and they're film-era lenses.

Out of curiosity, what was the first camera to feature shake reduction from Pentax?

EDIT: Here's the EXIF data from my 28-90, for example...

EDIT II: This is also why I suggest if someone is new to digital photography and is looking to go buy a prime or primes to buy a cheap AF zoom with a good range in FLs first and use it for a while - you can look at a list like this and see where you gravitate to most often. In my case a 35mm, 55mm and 70mm would be worth checking into based on these results.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sagitta; 08-28-2014 at 07:05 PM.
08-28-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Out of curiosity, what was the first camera to feature shake reduction from Pentax?
K10D was the first model with SR and the first lenses to provide focal length information were the Pentax-F series. There are no manual focus lenses that support the data pin to transmit focal length information.

What you are saying is true. With manual focus zooms the last set focal length is the one used for the SR feature. This can be reset at any time if you know the focal length you are shooting at. My approach has been to at least use the shortest value for the zoom range or the shorter end of the range I intend to shoot at. For example, with my manual focus Tamron 70-150/3.5 I generally set the SR focal length to 70, though if I know I will be working at the longer end, I set it to 110. I figure that is better than shooting hand-held at 150mm with no shake reduction.

Steve
08-28-2014, 09:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve, actually the K100 I believe was the first. At the time pentax released the K100 and the K110 where the only difference was SR. The K10 came a little later. I decided when considering upgrades from my *istD, that only SR did not justify the change since the *istD actually made more functionality , although a little slower in image processing. I switched with the introduction do both SR and more megapixels

Focal length and focus distance have been sent to the camera since the advent of AF because the AF functions and also program modes that follow focal length to set such utter speed, and auto flash zoom functions all use focal length. My first body to use these functions was the PZ 1, and the FA28-80 and FA28-105 power zooms