Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #1

Spotmatic F - Metering

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hey guys,

recently bought my first analog SLR, a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F. Using a Danubigon 1:2.8 f=35mm lens with it. Battery is a 1.5V Energizer Alkaline. When metering I have noticed that the meter moves up to the + point perfectly fine but never goes into the - even if it should be very underexposed. It just stops in the middle. Also does not react to aperture change at all, shutter speed does though.

I'm just wondering if this is normal since I am a little worried the meter is stuck or broken, which I find annoying haha I know I can just use my DSLR or seperate light meter but like just using the camera on its own!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Seb

08-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like your meter has failed, which doesn't surprise me considering the age of the camera. If you're inside at f/22 with ISO set 100, then the meter should go down. I'd also try your camera with another lens just to be sure, but I doubt that the lens would cause this problem. Also you should double check the battery. It's fairly common for someone to buy one of these types of batteries from a drug store just to find that it's dead out of the box. Make sure you get it from either a camera shop or a place that sells them regularly. Check the expiration date on the battery to ensure that it's fresh.
08-29-2014, 08:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
I thought it might not be the battery since the needle does move and show overexposure and battery level. Will try different lens this weekend.

Would you bother fixing a broken meter?
08-29-2014, 08:32 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Read this thread to make sure you are using the correct battery:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/180904-what-...c-meter-2.html
Phil.

08-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you trying to open aperture meter with a non-SMC lens? Non-Pentax lenses have to use stop down metering with the Spot F.
08-29-2014, 09:02 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Are you trying to open aperture meter with a non-SMC lens? Non-Pentax lenses have to use stop down metering with the Spot F.
didn't know that, thanks! now the image in the viewfinder becomes darker depending on aperture which makes sense. needle still stops halfway though
08-29-2014, 11:06 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Seby123 Quote
Hey guys,

recently bought my first analog SLR, a Asahi Pentax Spotmatic F. Using a Danubigon 1:2.8 f=35mm lens with it. Battery is a 1.5V Energizer Alkaline. When metering I have noticed that the meter moves up to the + point perfectly fine but never goes into the - even if it should be very underexposed. It just stops in the middle. Also does not react to aperture change at all, shutter speed does though.

I'm just wondering if this is normal since I am a little worried the meter is stuck or broken, which I find annoying haha I know I can just use my DSLR or seperate light meter but like just using the camera on its own!

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Seb
Set your ASA to 100 and your shutter dial to B, if the needle goes to the top the battery is good.

08-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You'll need a 1.35-volt battery. The 1.5-volt batteries will be off by about two stops.

There are two easy options -- get a battery adapter for an A76 battery to fit the mercury size (these are about $5 on eBay) or get a Spotmatic battery cap retrofitted to hold an A76 battery. These are about $20, and I forget where to buy them.

That and the lens metering connection are probably your two issues.
08-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
You'll need a 1.35-volt battery. The 1.5-volt batteries will be off by about two stops.
No, they won't. Spotmatics have a voltage regulator.
08-29-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
No, they won't. Spotmatics have a voltage regulator.
Wow. You're right. That's the first time I've come across an old mercury cell camera that can correctly meter with a modern 1.5v.
01-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #11

Have you found any solution yet? Same problem on my SP1000
01-04-2017, 06:35 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have no solutions for you. I just wanted to say that the Spotmatic F was the camera that pulled me into the world of Pentax many, many years ago. Great camera! Hope you get your problems worked out.
01-04-2017, 06:58 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please continue discussions here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/337208-spotm...ter-issue.html
06-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

exact replacement battery for Spotmatic F

Just joined Pentax Forums - so a little late in weighing in on this topic

I own a Spotmatic F that needed a new battery

I found a vendor on eBay that sells an exact replacement for the original PX625 mercury battery which the Spotmatic F required

This replacement is a 1.35 volt WeinCell MRB625 battery. sold on eBay by 1111deals, costs: $5.91 with free shipping
type this into eBay search to pull up this listing: WEINCELL W990120 Replacement Battery for PX625/PX13

You should be able to do a web search for WeinCell MRB625 and find other vendors.

With this exact spec replacement you won't have to worry about any over-voltage issues and your meter should work correctly - pending any repairs to the meter itself

All the best,
Pierre

Read more at: 3v CR1616 Battery on a Spotmatic F - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by Seby123 Quote
Hey guys,

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Seb