Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

K-3 Glitch. very perplexing.

I've had my K-3 since February this year and have been having an inconsistent but disturbing problem.

The problem seems to happen when I use manual lenses(and by manual I mean no auto or 'A' feature at all). I always have it in the manual setting for my old lenses. Sometime after taking a picture my LCD and information in my veiwfinder go off but the top LCD display remains on. I can't do anything, the camera becomes a vegetable. Even when I turn it off the camera still displays a few numbers on the top LCD, kinda like when it's plugged into the computer. When I flip the switch back on everything seems normal and I can release the shutter, but it won't write to the memory card.

In the end I have to pull the battery to get things back top normal. And if I'm lucky haven't lost any photos.

What's going on here? I would appreciate any help. Thank you
-Chris

09-14-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you called Ricoh? This sounds like a warranty issue. Are you sure it only happens when non-A contact lenses are mounted? The reason I ask is that there is a known problem where the camera simply becomes unresponsive until the battery is removed as a form of reset.

Steve
09-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Have you called Ricoh? This sounds like a warranty issue. Are you sure it only happens when non-A contact lenses are mounted? The reason I ask is that there is a known problem where the camera simply becomes unresponsive until the battery is removed as a form of reset.

Steve
Yes and at the time they had no response(this was in march). I noticed it first switching between live view and the viewfinder so I just avoided live view. But the last time was during using the view finder. I have yet to update to the latest firmware. Maybe that will help?
09-15-2014, 02:13 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try the latest firmware. The other thing could be that there's a short with the lack of contacts on the old lenses, but it should not happen.

09-15-2014, 02:30 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I've been using M series lenses loads with my K-3 and thus far have had no problems.
I'd try the latest firmware just in case, seems like an issue with your camera though (I used a 28mm M with no issues on the default firmware before updating)
09-16-2014, 01:13 AM   #6

My K3 and m50 f1.7 combination works fine. I think you must have a camera problem.

Regards

Jeff