Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Scroll wheel not working?

My scroll wheel is not working in AV or TV. In Manual, it changes the shutter speed fine, but not the aperature. Any advice? I have a K-R with <1000 clicks. I shoot mostly in auto, which works fine, but wanted to do some macro today and am having issues?? Any help is appreciated.

09-20-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To change the aperture you have to hold down the ev button in manual mode.

You're not in instant review or playback mode by any chance, are you? That changes the function of the edial temporarily.

Also, check your menu settings to see if the edial options haven't been customized.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

And what lens are you using your k-r with? With M or K lenses or macro tubes or older TC or no lens (or a lens will very dirty contacts or not mounted properly) your control options will be limited.
09-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, but still not working.

I tried resetting all the defaults, but still not luck. Could this be a software/firmware issue? I've tried 2 different batteries, and a Pentax and Sigma lense.
The weird part is it will change the setting one or two stops, but as I continue scrolling, it will go back. It is like it is getting confused with the movement of the wheel. I know you said to check custom settings, but not sure how. I am pretty sure I run all defaults except maybe I set the time and date.
Greg

09-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gregsamuel Quote
The weird part is it will change the setting one or two stops, but as I continue scrolling, it will go back. It is like it is getting confused with the movement of the wheel.
Looks like the "too much dielectric grease issue" that plague many K-R (including the one I owned). The lubricant they use for the scroll wheel is affecting the contacts

Contact cleaner usually does the trick. I sprayed a minute amount of "Walter Slap-Shot" cleaner and degreaser in the scroll wheel and slowly scrolled for a minute or so. I've waited a few minutes and repeated the procedure a few times, changing direction every once in a while; always having the camera pointed upwards so no residues would go in the camera. Worked like a charm afterwards. The same procedure also help me fix my shutter button later on when it was acting up, not registering half press and often not working at all.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage that the procedure may cause. There are other ways of "fixing" this. Some involving taking the camera appart. The way I described above is what worked for me, with the supply I had available and the time I had (I was 1km underground, during lunch break...)
09-20-2014, 01:12 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Fgaudet. I talked to the folks at Hunt's photo, where I bought it, and they estimate ~$200 to send it out for repairs, based on prior repairs. They have the k-500 for $379, so it might be cheaper to just buy a new camera. I am very dissappointed in Pentax at the moment.
I have a Ricoh film camera that still takes photos as good as the day I bought it. I went with Pentax after tons of research, but am thinking I made a big mistake. I may try to find some contact cleaner
and try it. I guess it beats $200. I have so much invested in lenses, batteries, flash,....
09-20-2014, 10:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Looks like the "too much dielectric grease issue" that plague many K-R (including the one I owned). The lubricant they use for the scroll wheel is affecting the contacts

Contact cleaner usually does the trick. I sprayed a minute amount of "Walter Slap-Shot" cleaner and degreaser in the scroll wheel and slowly scrolled for a minute or so. I've waited a few minutes and repeated the procedure a few times, changing direction every once in a while; always having the camera pointed upwards so no residues would go in the camera. Worked like a charm afterwards. The same procedure also help me fix my shutter button later on when it was acting up, not registering half press and often not working at all.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any damage that the procedure may cause. There are other ways of "fixing" this. Some involving taking the camera appart. The way I described above is what worked for me, with the supply I had available and the time I had (I was 1km underground, during lunch break...)
I'll add to this. I certainly don't blame you for the suggestion, but I would like to serve as a cautionary tale. My scroll wheel was sticking such that it would take a few tries to move to a new setting, so I read this post and decided to try a contact solution I had on hand (mostly saline). The wheel was slightly better, but I just tried it out shooting tonight and the wheel now almost only recognizes one direction (making my camera useless unless I want to shoot at 1/6000 or f22). If you do wish to try this tip, please try "Walter Slap-Shot" or something else that is found to work.

09-21-2014, 12:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
please try "Walter Slap-Shot" or something else that is found to work.
Always use proper electrical contact cleaner/degreaser. The stuff I use is what we use to clean high voltage equipment and electronics and other various greasy bits that shouldn't be greasy. It leaves very little residues if any, dries out quickly, and it was designed for such work.

Saline will dry out and leave... well... salts and in the case of eye contact lens cleaner, some other goop that they put in the stuff to lubricate and clean the lenses. Probably none of which is good for a camera.

As I am typing this I realized why you used contact solution (saline)... honest mistake for someone who never fiddle with electronics or electrical equipment I guess.

Gotta use ELECTRICAL contact cleaner
09-21-2014, 06:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I found 'CRC QD Contact Cleaner' at home depot. It says it is safe for plastic, quick drying, and leaves no residue. I'll keep my eye on this thread for a while and try it in a day or 2. I really appreciate all the ideas.
09-21-2014, 12:06 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
fgaudet is a genius!!! Thank you thank you thanks you. A couple squirts with the electric contact cleaner and the scroll wheel is working again. I can't thank you enough!!!!
09-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gregsamuel Quote
fgaudet is a genius!!! Thank you thank you thanks you
Hahaha, don't thank me, thank the forum. But glad I could help.

As long as you don't shower your camera in cleaner you should be golden for a long time. I remember I needed to redo it a few times before it was completely sorted out since the leftover grease will spread out and may recreate the issue. But in my case, after a few times it ended up #1.
09-21-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Hahaha, don't thank me, thank the forum. But glad I could help.

As long as you don't shower your camera in cleaner you should be golden for a long time. I remember I needed to redo it a few times before it was completely sorted out since the leftover grease will spread out and may recreate the issue. But in my case, after a few times it ended up #1.
Um, before I rush off to buy the right contact cleaner, should I clean the wheel with alcohol or something else to get rid of the salt deposits?
09-21-2014, 07:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Um, before I rush off to buy the right contact cleaner, should I clean the wheel with alcohol or something else to get rid of the salt deposits?
A can will set you off about $10, and you only need a couple squirts... It's on the expensive side for very little use. But I never been a fan of alcohol for cleaning electronics, they make all sorts of specialized cleaning products for a reason...

I'm pretty sure that the cleaner/degreaser will take care of whatever crap is in there, you may need to repeat the procedure a few more times. Always go with very little cleaner at a time several times instead of soaking it up.
09-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Maybe some others have had luck with different cleaners. All I know is I found Electric Contact Cleaner at Home Depot that stated on the label that it was safe for plastic. It had a straw adapter to get right into the gap on either side of the wheel. Holding the camera, lense up, a short spray fixed my K-R. I let it sit for an hour, and was out taking photos this afternoon. I gave it a couple extra for good measure, and might store it lense up for a bit. The funny part is my local camera store was ready to send it to a repair center for ~$200. YOu would think they would know of such a cheap fix. Fgaudet saved me some bucks, so I became a contributing member!
09-21-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, it was a common fix for the K-r (and some K-x) which I found out after my incident. The store would have sent it for a scroll wheel replacement. Shipping and labour would have made up most of the cost of the repair, it does take a while to take the camera appart and putting it back together.

It's good that you pointed out that the stuff has to be safe for plastic, I forgot to mention it.