Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-23-2014, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
SMC Pentax-F 35-70 F3.5-4.5 Cult Club

Here it is, the one you've been waiting for: the original Plastic Fantastic!

Sure, it's slow, it's loud, it flares, it distorts, the thread spins, and it feels like a squeaky plastic toy. But it's compact, the autofocus rivals Pentax's fastest, it's sharp, and it has a beautiful dimensional contrast in the right lighting.

I am starting this thread to hopefully find more of you who love this stack-o-primes as much as I do, and to show everyone what kind of images it's capable of!

04-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Crocus in Spring

This lens is good for light macro work, rendering a nice bokeh - a very convenient all-around lens. It spends a lot of time on my camera, being good for point&shoot action.

(K100DS, SMCP-F 35-70 - cross-posted from the F-club)

-Joe-
04-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hello Cult Club I use this lens mostly with my K01 in the city
The lens is very sharp and contrasty
First picture from the city, the second one on an air show
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-01  Photo 
04-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Judging from all the fine photos above the FA 35-70 is a terrific lens. Nice work, all. Freddy

04-23-2014, 01:51 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And no self-respecting F 35-70 cult club should miss an honorable mention of its glorious, beautiful grey, black, orange, white, yellow, blue and green colouring. I'm talkin' the colouring on the lens itself - not its fantastic rendering! An appearance only a Pentaxian could love!

Yes, I have one and it rarely stays behind. I'll try to post a couple of pics soon.

- Craig
04-23-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Handoff?

Hello bsamcash,
Thanks for starting this new thread, I had an earlier one that Jean posted a link to, on 'plastic fantastic'. The old thread has pretty much run the course and I'm happy to see you carry the banner for this fine little zoom.
My copy has been idle and replaced by faster primes, but, as mentioned, I do miss the buzzy, whimsical and handy gem, surely one of the most under-rated short zooms Pentax has ever made. Craig's right about the colors, it's gaudy, but very easy to like. This lens has so many quirks it's hard to list them all. My favorite is the audible 'whack' when it nails focus. I'm laughing just thinking about it.
If used properly it delivers fine images, at least my copy and many others I've seen posted, did. I would still recommend the F 35-70 to anyone needing a short zoom, especially if they're on a budget.
Have fun, hope to see lots of F 35-70mm photos here!
Ron
04-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
And no self-respecting F 35-70 cult club should miss an honorable mention of its glorious, beautiful grey, black, orange, white, yellow, blue and green colouring. I'm talkin' the colouring on the lens itself - not its fantastic rendering! An appearance only a Pentaxian could love!
True. It is one ugly lens by traditional standards (especially on my sleek, black, metal K-5IIs), but it has a charm.

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello bsamcash,
Thanks for starting this new thread, I had an earlier one that Jean posted a link to, on 'plastic fantastic'. The old thread has pretty much run the course and I'm happy to see you carry the banner for this fine little zoom.
My copy has been idle and replaced by faster primes, but, as mentioned, I do miss the buzzy, whimsical and handy gem, surely one of the most under-rated short zooms Pentax has ever made. Craig's right about the colors, it's gaudy, but very easy to like. This lens has so many quirks it's hard to list them all. My favorite is the audible 'whack' when it nails focus. I'm laughing just thinking about it.
If used properly it delivers fine images, at least my copy and many others I've seen posted, did. I would still recommend the F 35-70 to anyone needing a short zoom, especially if they're on a budget.
Have fun, hope to see lots of F 35-70mm photos here!
Ron
I would start two threads on this lens if I could! I think I love its rendering more than any of my DAs. It has this unique filmy look that reminds me of my Yashica Electro 35 GSN. It is technically poor, and it's not going to win any awards on DxO, but it has a character and charm to it that I love!

04-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

allthough honestly, I never use it, itīs one light, small, not fast but hysterically lightning speedy focusing, sharp from wide open lens. Right now I gave it to my father because he wanted to "get more in the frame" than he does with the FA80-320.
If you donīt believe me, look at her smile:

04-24-2014, 01:40 AM - 3 Likes   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
True. It is one ugly lens by traditional standards (especially on my sleek, black, metal K-5IIs), but it has a charm.

I would start two threads on this lens if I could! I think I love its rendering more than any of my DAs. It has this unique filmy look that reminds me of my Yashica Electro 35 GSN. It is technically poor, and it's not going to win any awards on DxO, but it has a character and charm to it that I love!
I do not find the lens ugly on my K01 But of course there is a difference in taste
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
04-24-2014, 03:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian

That's a beauty , Joe. Marvelous bokeh and sharpness....the whole package. Freddy

---------- Post added 04-24-14 at 06:10 AM ----------

Nice shots BSA and carralangas. love the pig shot. Its' great when a lens can actually bring the beauty out of a traditionally ugly animal. Freddy
04-24-2014, 03:25 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Daughter with grand daughter

Great idea for a thread...
04-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Daughter with grand daughter

Great idea for a thread...
Rjay, Great shot. Love, love, your butterfly quartet and the ancient relics on your site, do you know model of the plane shown?. What lens did you use for the butterflies. Freddy
04-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fevbusch Quote
your butterfly quartet and the ancient relics on your site
Hi there Freddy - thank you for the comments. Had to review the pics to remind myself - time to add more pics to the site I think and update it a little.

The butterflies were with either the close up feature of the DA50-200 or DA16-45 or possibly the Vivitar 100 3.5 macro (no 4). The wreck is a DC-3 (C47) that went down during WWII coming in to a military airbase at night and landing short of the runway by a kilometer or two. All five souls on board were killed as the crash site was heavily forested. The wings are still there all concertinaed up around a hole in the middle where the tree used to be.

More details here - digression seems appropriate on ANZAC Day eve here in Australia.

Higgins Field, QLD, during WW2 - Also known as Red Island Point Airfield, or Red Point Airfield, or Jack Jacky Airfield and now known as Bamaga Airfield

However, apologies for the sidetrack
04-24-2014, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Taken with K-30; awesome lens combo:

Last edited by dcpropilot; 04-24-2014 at 08:42 PM.
04-24-2014, 08:31 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Taken with K-30

---------- Post added 04-24-2014 at 11:33 PM ----------

---------- Post added 04-24-2014 at 11:34 PM ----------