Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Different colored dog eyes

Experimenting with my new (to me) sigma 610 super (mounted on old k100dSuper), got this effect...... Thought that was pretty cool to get a red eye and a green eye out of the same shot! Did you ever have that happen? This was in manual/manual. I can already tell, regarding flash use, I've got a LOOOOOOONG way to go!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
02-25-2012, 06:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Was this a Christmas puppy? Just joking. I have seen this before, but not often. Usually you get one color or the other from a dog's eyes depending on the angles. I'm guessing this dog was not looking directly at the camera at the time of exposure and the angles between flash, lens and eyes are each slightly different. For what it's worth, the multi-flash red-eye reduction techniques work just as well on green eyes too.
02-25-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, Jim, I think it was the angle/distance that was in effect to get those eyes. Much more work on technique is warranted. I had earlier thought that the external flash had eliminated the red eye effect- guess not.
02-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
When you say 'external', was this flash off camera, or mounted on the hotshoe? If the latter, then as you can see, the flash is still too close to the lens to avoid red-eye. You need to have a greater angle of separation between the lens and the flash - if you can't completely take the flash off camera, another way to achieve that is by bouncing the flash.

02-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, still mounted on the camera. I'm still learning about the 610 Super, but I think that my K100d Super is too old to conveniently have the flash operate wirelessly (without a separate trigger, etc.) Thanks for the advice.