Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-02-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Viltrox JY-670 Ring Flash

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Does anyone have experience with the Viltrox JY-670 Ring Flash
see Professional Macro Ring Flash Light Lite Viltrox JY-670 for Canon Nikon Sony | eBay

It is manual but has many power and lighting options - under $100 with shipping

Thanks

06-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks pricey for an LED ring light, plus it doesn't go all the way around the ring. If it was actual flash tubes, maybe it'd be worth it and explain the lack of full-circle coverage (like the Pentax AF-160C). Here is one from Yongnuo (well-known cheap flash maker) that is less than half that price, and don't worry... none of these eBay LED flashes are TTL (except the Pentax) so it doesn't matter if the ad says "for Canon/Nikon."

Problem with all of these LED units off of eBay is that you can't tell just how bright or what color the light is (or even if the LEDs are a consistent color all the way around). No Guide Number or anything!

Good luck!
06-02-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. One of the features I liked was the ability to adjust the level individually on the left and the right. I did find one review for this unit see Viltrox JY-670 Macro Ring Lite review | Lighting Rumours
Just as your name applies I do panorama photography - PTGui, NIK HDR Efex. Photoshop Just did a HDR pano of the interior of a cathedral 255 shots (55 pictures at 5 exposure settings). I am just venturing into macro photography and feel I need a flash.
Thanks again for prompt reply
06-02-2012, 05:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RockvilleBob Quote
Just as your name applies I do panorama photography - PTGui, NIK HDR Efex. Photoshop Just did a HDR pano of the interior of a cathedral 255 shots (55 pictures at 5 exposure settings). I am just venturing into macro photography and feel I need a flash.
Well, rock on, fellow HDR pano-shooter! I'd love to see your cathedral pano (and I thought my average of 50 shots per pano (6 around, 1 up, 2 down, x5 exp.) was a lot of shutter time!).

The reason I know about the cheap ring lights on eBay is because I, too, am just venturing into macro photography:

No ring flash used (obviously), but rather a Metz-48 with a home-made reflector bending down toward the front of the lens. Lots of wasted light, and the recycle time means I miss lots of shots... hence my interest in adding a constant-on LED ring to the mix (like this JJC unit, or this Yongnuo - not the kind triggered by the hotshoe, though... I'd still like to have the option of multiple flashes).

Thanks for the link to the review of that unit. I'll take a look!

Last edited by panoguy; 06-02-2012 at 06:05 PM.
06-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

If you read the specs of this flash, it would seem that this is not LED but has flash tubes.
I was also interested in this since it has variable power levels perfect for macro.
Attached Images

06-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I cannot decide if they are LED or flash tubes but it seems quite capable with a ISO 100 GN listed as 14/46 meters/feet. Even if it is 80% that is still about 11/37 which is more than enough for macro. I have not found a person using one but the only review I did fine Viltrox JY-670 Macro Ring Lite review | Lighting Rumours said it has plenty of light plus all the adjustments to both tubes. I'll probably pull the trigger and get one but first I want to test out a rig with two small mini flashes that I have.
06-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This flash is a "real" flash not LED flash according to the seller on eBay. Here's the note I received from him:
Thank you for your interest in out product.

Regarding to your question, it's real flash. That's why the price is a bit higher that the LED one.
If you have any other question, please feel free to contact us.

Best regard,
Noolek

06-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just bought one - takes a few weeks to arrive. I will post a review. However I am just learning macro so the review may be a little off base.
06-07-2012, 07:41 AM   #9
Pentaxian

As far as LED vs. Flash tubes, it certainly looks like a flash tube model (not 360 coverage), but I was going by the description in the ad you linked to above:

QuoteQuote:
Specifications:
  • LED Light Size: 125x71x61mm/5.3x2.8x2.4"

Package includes:
  • 1x LED Macro Light and Power Controller
...etc.
Hope it works out for you! Might also want to tell the seller he'd get less questions (and more buyers?) if he actually described it consistently.
06-21-2012, 02:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I got the flash ring and so far I am very pleased with the unit, both its construction and performance. The unit has two flash tubes(NOT LED's) and you can adjust the power level of each one, shooting with both or just one at various levels as described in the literature and on the web site. The unit also has two led lights to help focusing which I find helpful. The Guide Number advertised is 46. Thanks to a friend, Richard Bender, I calibrated the lens using a ColorChecker and took a series of photos of a 18% grade card at varying exposures. The images were corrected and the color read in PhotoShop using the Eyedropper tool to determine a true 18% Gray exposure and knowing the distance and f stop a 'real' Guide Number. The GN at full power firing both tubes is 26 feet at ISO 100. I am just getting started with macro but plan to post a more comprehensive review with some photos as I gain experience. However, looking around at the competition and a price of under $100 with shipping, from my point of view this is a very good deal.
07-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That's great if these are real flash tubes!
I'm guessing it would be better than the Sunpak Auto DX12R since with this you have a very variable light source.
Although the DX12R does have an "auto" feature.
This looks promising for this Viltrox flash.
Please do update us with a more extensive review.
Thanks in advance Bob, since I have been looking for a good/cheap ringlight flash for a long time.
07-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's a review I found on the web which might prove to be helpful: Viltrox JY-670 Macro Ring Lite review | Lighting Rumours
07-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I planned to test the flash in my flower garden but unfortunately our house was severely damaged in a derecho storm (like a tornado but straight) and we'll be out of our home for two to three months. Fortunately there were no injuries but doing macro work and testing the flash has taken a back seat.
However, my initial impression is that it is a great deal for the price.
07-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your mishap Bob.
This is not a big deal. Attend to what you have to first 'coz that is what's important.
I hope you guys will be able to recover fast.
03-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #15

Delta DRF-14 TTL Macro Ring-Flash

These are Marumi re-brands though it's not listed for Pentax/Samsung! There are CaNikon and Sonolta versions though (I owned one for the A-Mount) and it's a cracking bit of kit. My query is that as Pentax shares the universal hot-shoe mount with all but Sonolta, would a CaNikon version work on a K-5 or are there voltage differences between the brands that share the universal mount?

I haven't checked to see if the JY-670 has TTL metering like the Delta, but if it does, then for the price, it's a bit of a bargain. The Delta is available from Foto-Tip via evilBay.