Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 06:48 AM   #76
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
Which do you think would yield better results? a) Creating a profile for AF-1 via the learning option, or b) selecting the 58 AF-2 pre-installed profile from the list and just sticking with that?
Seems to me that the Metz 58 AF-2 profile should work perfectly (given that the GNs are the same).

I do not know, though, whether the two flashes may use different TTL timings to achieve the same output (in which case the 58-AF2 profile would not be a perfect fit).

You could create a custom profile and compare the respective power output levels with the respective output levels from the 58-AF2 profile.

A custom profile has the advantage of taking into account the individual characteristics of your particular flash copy. On the other hand, the difference between 1/2 power and full power may not be exactly one stop. At least that's what I observed in my measurements of my self-made Canon 540EZ profile. I do not know whether this is a consistent problem and/or applies to other flashes as well. I never really bothered again, because the deviation was small and I do not need extremely precise output anyhow.

07-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
Hi, I just got my V6's yesterday and I was a bit disappointed that my Metz 58-AF1's don't work with them. I mean, I may have read it somewhere in the compatibility list before I ordered, but I thought the only difference between AF-1 and AF-2 is the plastic/metal hotshoe, so I thought AF-1's surely must work with V6's out of the box. Now, my question is this: Which do you think would yield better results? a) Creating a profile for AF-1 via the learning option, or b) selecting the 58 AF-2 pre-installed profile from the list and just sticking with that? The b) option surely works and given that the GN of AF-1 and AF-2 are the same, I would think that it should work just fine, or am I missing something? Any opinions are appreciated.
T my knowledge the metal foot is the only difference betweent the Metz 58 AF 1 and AF 2, well, that and the fact that the AF 1 is no longer in production. I would think that the AF 2 profile will work perfectly, but why just speculate? You can actually test it yourself.

Mount you camera on a tripod and mount the 58 AF1 on a light stand or on the hotshoe. Take a series of exposures using manual control on the flash at full power , half power, quarter power, etc... down to 1/128th. Keep your ISO, Shutter speed and Aperture the same for the duration of the experiment (in other words, shoot in full manual mode on the camera). Then attach the Cactus V6 and select the 58 AF2 profile. Take the same series of shots full power down to 1/128th (the Metz can go down to 1/256th of course, but skip that for now.) Finally create a custom profile for your 58 AF 1 and take the same series of shots.

Ideally all three series of exposure should look exactly the same, but if there is a difference, use the profile which most closely matches the first series of manual exposures.
07-24-2014, 10:51 AM   #78

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the V6 compatible with the V5?
07-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Racerdew Quote
Is the V6 compatible with the V5?
Yes, the V6 can be used to fire the V5, and the V5 can be used to fire the V6, but you will be limited to simple sync commands. The V5 can also be used to fire the RF60 flashes, but again the only control you will have is basic sync functionality, power will need to be adjusted on the back of each light.

07-25-2014, 10:22 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Will the V6 support my Metz 58-1 and Metz 50 for remote adjustments? Thanks for this informative review

EDIT: I just found out on their website that the V6 does not support My Metz 58 AF-1. But rather the 58 AF-2 only. Shame.
Correct it does not support the 58 af-1 or the Canon 550 EX which I own both. The Cactus V5 supports those flashes although only in Manual mode.
07-25-2014, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Correct it does not support the 58 af-1 or the Canon 550 EX which I own both. The Cactus V5 supports those flashes although only in Manual mode.
Weird, both of those flashes are listed as being profiled successfully here. Care to share how you attempted to profile them, or if you tried a similar profile (like the AF-2)?

I've profiled a couple of oddball Metz flashes now, and had no issues using them in TTL mode on the V6 to control the power remotely. Just because they aren't listed on the Cactus site as "profile included" doesn't mean it cannot be added manually. That's the beauty of the Cactus V6 solution... it's open-ended!
07-25-2014, 08:25 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Correct it does not support the 58 af-1 or the Canon 550 EX which I own both.
Further to panoguy's very good points, I can only assume that you equate "supported" with "a predefined profile exists".

However, as panoguy pointed out, for both the Metz 58 AF-1 and Canon 550EX users have reported that they were successful in profiling these models with V6, making them available for remote power control.

N.B., a third option (in case profiling isn't available because the flash only supports digital TTL but not analogue TTL) is to use an existing pre-defined profile for another flash model for the same system (Canon, Nikon, Pentax) and with a similar guide number. While there may be slight accuracy issues (may be not, I don't own such flashes to test it), this is certainly another way in which a flash model could be supported.

07-29-2014, 03:35 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Two new features

The V1.0.173 firmware update for the Cactus V6 introduces two new features:
  1. "group sequence": cycle through groups as trigger events occur.
  2. "dial lock": disable the dial so that one cannot inadvertently change all group levels with one's forehead while shooting.
The first "group sequence" feature is quite nice as it can be used to eliminate recycling pauses and to follow a moving object with light.

If one uses the sequence A-B-C-D (the other option is AB-CD) then one can use four groups to cycle through. While the last flash that fired recharges, then next one (in the next group) can accept the next trigger event immediately. This technique thus enables firing at 1/1 power without any recycling pause between the outputs.

An alternative to achieve the above is of course to reduce the power level of the multiple flashes and let them all fire simultaneously (e.g. in the same group). But if, for instance, you need 1/1 power for two shots in quick succession and only have two flashes to combine and the recycling speed at 1/2 power is not quick enough, the above technique is a solution.

I guess, however, the group cycling feature will be most interesting when the flashes are positioned at different places. One could thus follow a moving object with light by sequentially firing flashes positioned strategically.

I never felt I needed the new "dial lock" feature, but some people apparently move the dial with their forehead while looking through the viewfinder. By a long-press on "OK" one can now activate a "locked" mode in which the dial is locked by default and requires a quick push of the "OK" button to become temporarily enabled again.
07-29-2014, 07:32 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The V1.0.173 firmware update for the Cactus V6 introduces two new features:.
173 seems to have been taken down ?

I never felt I needed the new "dial lock" feature, but some people apparently move the dial with their forehead while looking through the viewfinder. By a long-press on "OK" one can now activate a "locked" mode in which the dial is locked by default and requires a quick push of the "OK" button to become temporarily enabled again.
Cro-Magnon Man !!
07-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #85
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
Yeah, seems like I managed to see it although it wasn't ready for publishing yet.

As per the PDF description it also fixes a bug with some Nikon profiles, so perhaps it was only made available for someone to test this part?

I trust they'll publish the real version soon.
07-30-2014, 02:22 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Seems like it has become officially available now.
07-30-2014, 02:55 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems like it has become officially available now.
yep

What a brilliant concept
I can set ab-bc and my remotes in a-c and fire alternate per trigger

Though I think they (Cactus ) may have talked me into two additional rf60's to give me a-b-c-d flexibility
07-30-2014, 05:10 AM   #88
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Though I think they (Cactus ) may have talked me into two additional rf60's to give me a-b-c-d flexibility
If you think hard enough, you may come up with a scenario that requires four full power shots in very quick succession.

I'm not sure I'll ever employ the group cycling myself, but it is very good to have it one's arsenal, should the need for it arise.

One application for the AB-CD type could be to create a normal shot with groups A&B and then a backlit shot with groups C&D in order to create a cut-out mask for post-processing. I'm not sure though, how I'd get the camera to exactly fire twice (and not more often) in burst mode. I guess two quick presses of the shutter button will do as well, but they would allow more movement of the subject in between.
07-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I noticed that group cycling does not work with the RF60.

I trust, however, that they'll fix that soon. Wouldn't make sense to only make it work for V6 receivers, but not for RF60 in radio slave mode.
07-30-2014, 07:29 AM   #90

Anybody got an idea of why I can't get my yongnuo yn560 mark III to get fired by the v6?
Before I get any stupid answer let me get clear that I have 5 more flashes including two YN560 mark I, wich all work flawlessly in full manual or remote power control mode fot the ttl ones.
If I press the test button, the flash fires off, so connection between trigger and flash is there, but wen I try it wirelessly the green light comes on but the flash doesn't fire.
Seems quite odd to me, is there some option in the M mode of the flash I am missing or what?