Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A flash question.

I have four flash units, three of which I think would be good to use with slave units..... so, my question is, could I use the built-in flash on my K2000 and use the other three as satellite flash units, coupled with slave units, to provide the light coverage I want? Two of the off-camera units have swivel/tilt heads that I think would serve me well. How would one go about this? Perhaps fashion some type of "holder" for the flash units, thus holding them in position so I could aim them in the direction I want? Or.... would I need a "hot shoe" attachment for each of them? I'm thinking they might work well for portraiture. As you can tell, I know very little about this subject, so any help you can provide will be appreciated. It seems a shame to just have these flashes just gathering dust and not be put to use.

Dewman
SW Idaho

I might mention, the flashes are a Pentax AF200S, a *Sunpak auto zoom 933 "dedicated," and a *Kalimar 175A automatic.

* Swivel/tilt head units.

07-28-2014, 08:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
could I use the built-in flash on my K2000 and use the other three as satellite flash units, coupled with slave units, to provide the light coverage I want?
Unless you use radio triggers, this will only work if your off-camera flashes have optical triggers built in.

You can also buy optical triggers as accessories, but I'd rather buy radio triggers because they will give you a lot more flexibility and reliability for little more money.

Another challenge, when using optical triggering, is to avoid the off-camera flashes from triggering on the camera's pre-flash. Your K-2000 will issue a P-TTL pre-flash unless you use a manual lens on it. This pre-flash will set off all off-camera flashes too early, unless they support pre-flash suppression. I don't think your flashes will do that (but I haven't checked for all of them).

QuoteOriginally posted by MD Optofonik Quote
Some helpful links:
Yes, the "Strobist 101" pages are very helpful indeed, but the gear recommendations are outdated. The author (David Hobby) does not update the blog anymore.

Meanwhile, there are a lot more attractive flashes (like the YN560-III, Godox V850, or Cactus RF60) with remote power control and there are also better radio trigger systems.
07-28-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Yes, the "Strobist 101" pages are very helpful indeed, but the gear recommendations are outdated.
Meanwhile, there are a lot more attractive flashes (like the YN560-III, Godox V850, or Cactus RF60) with remote power control and there are also better radio trigger systems.
The Sunpak auto zoom 933 and Kalimar 175A aren't exactly new and I think the OP wants to use the flash unite he currently has so flash recommendations don't seem relevant to his stated needs. I think the ancillary gear recommendations, however, are still relevant to his stated needs, "Perhaps fashion some type of 'holder' for the flash units, thus holding them in position so I could aim them in the direction I want? Or.... would I need a "hot shoe" attachment for each of them? I'm thinking they might work well for portraiture."

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
The author (David Hobby) does not update the blog anymore.
Strobist: July 2014

Strobist: A Guide to Lighting Indoor Sports

Strobist: Ecosystems 101: Intro

Strobist: On Traveling With Your Camera

Seems kinda recent to me.

Just sayin'.

07-29-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The Sunpak auto zoom 933 and Kalimar 175A aren't exactly new and I think the OP wants to use the flash unite he currently has so flash recommendations don't seem relevant to his stated needs.
They weren't meant as flash recommendations.

The list was meant to demonstrate that the gear recommendations at "Lighting 101" at the Strobist site aren't current anymore.
Sorry, if that wasn't clear.

Or would you still seriously recommend a LumoPro LP180? I compared the LP180 to modern flashes and it does not hold a candle to them in terms of value for money.

From one of the June posts
"In January Strobist was restructured from a standard, 2x/week blog into a core knowledge archive. Rather than publishing all of the time, we made the 2,000-post archive more organized and accessible. Now, Strobist only updates when there is something meaningful to say."
Apparently there hasn't been a lot meaningful to say recently. The "Traveling Photographer series", e.g., isn't published at this blog but at another commercial site.

In strobist circles, it is well-known that David Hobby has almost exclusively withdrawn to Twitter.

In any event, it does not really matter whether he has abandoned his blog or not, fact is that his flash recommendation is outdated.

As new accessories are being developed all the time as well (from Phottix, Godox, etc.) I would take the ancillary gear recommendations with a grain of salt as well. They probably were very good at the time (with a focus on what is available from MPEX, though) but nowadays there may be more functional and/or cheaper alternatives available.

Last edited by Class A; 07-29-2014 at 02:09 AM.
07-29-2014, 04:52 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Sunpak auto zoom 933 and Kalimar 175A aren't exactly new and I think the OP wants to use the flash unite he currently has so flash recommendations don't seem relevant to his stated needs. I think the ancillary gear recommendations, however, are still relevant to his stated needs, "Perhaps fashion some type of 'holder' for the flash units, thus holding them in position so I could aim them in the direction I want? Or.... would I need a "hot shoe" attachment for each of them? I'm thinking they might work well for portraiture."

Strobist: July 2014

Strobist: A Guide to Lighting Indoor Sports

Strobist: Ecosystems 101: Intro

Strobist: On Traveling With Your Camera

Just sayin'.
Thank you for your information, sir. You are absolutely correct in that I DO NOT want to spend a ton of $$$ acquiring new gear, but to use what I have ON HAND to accomplish my intended task. This is not a pressing mission, only some thoughts in passing of what I might be able to do with these otherwise idle flash units. I will read the articles provided and see what I can accomplish.

Thank you again for your help and guidance.
Dewman
SW Idaho
07-29-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thank you for your information, sir. You are absolutely correct in that I DO NOT want to spend a ton of $$$ acquiring new gear, but to use what I have ON HAND to accomplish my intended task. This is not a pressing mission, only some thoughts in passing of what I might be able to do with these otherwise idle flash units. I will read the articles provided and see what I can accomplish.

Thank you again for your help and guidance.
Dewman
SW Idaho
You're welcome. The recommended stands and umbrellas I linked to are the ones I bought when I put together my kit using some older flash units as you are (mine are the Sunpak Auto 433). You'll also need something to bag your stands; I found these work well and store compactly. Use ziplock bags inside and they'll be easier to keep clean. Best of luck.

07-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're welcome. The recommended stands and umbrellas I linked to are the ones I bought when I put together my kit using some older flash units as you are (mine are the Sunpak Auto 433). You'll also need something to bag your stands; I found these work well and store compactly. Use ziplock bags inside and they'll be easier to keep clean. Best of luck.
I have one of the Impact umbrella stands w/ light and 42"(44"?) white umbrellas I bought from a woman on CL. They belonged to her soon-to-be former husband and she was selling them to spite him! Imagine that! Anyway, I got the whole kit for $25.00 and I use them often for still life photos and the like, but thought of trying to use the flash units with them, as well. I have some physical limitations that preclude my getting out and about as much as I would like, so I find myself more inclined to shoot my photos within close proximity to my house and that's where the idea of using the flash units happened to spring up.

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-29-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have one of the Impact umbrella stands w/ light and 42"(44"?) white umbrellas I bought from a woman on CL. They belonged to her soon-to-be former husband and she was selling them to spite him! Imagine that! Anyway, I got the whole kit for $25.00 and I use them often for still life photos and the like, but thought of trying to use the flash units with them, as well. I have some physical limitations that preclude my getting out and about as much as I would like, so I find myself more inclined to shoot my photos within close proximity to my house and that's where the idea of using the flash units happened to spring up.

Dewman
SW Idaho
Wish I could have gotten that kind of a deal. I would still bag the stands, especially at home, to avoid tripping or damaging gear and/or furniture.
07-29-2014, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wish I could have gotten that kind of a deal. I would still bag the stands, especially at home, to avoid tripping or damaging gear and/or furniture.
Funny thing.... I felt kinda' guilty buying them. It reminded me of all the things that meant a lot to me that went by the wayside during my divorce back in the last 70's. But, at least they went to someone who will appreciate them, although it's of no consolation to the guy in question. As they say, it's "The screwin' ya' get for the....... " Fill in the blanks!

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Funny thing.... I felt kinda' guilty buying them. It reminded me of all the things that meant a lot to me that went by the wayside during my divorce back in the last 70's. But, at least they went to someone who will appreciate them, although it's of no consolation to the guy in question. As they say, it's "The screwin' ya' get for the....... " Fill in the blanks!

Dewman
SW Idaho
For all you know the guy was a jerk and she was justified.
07-29-2014, 06:52 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For all you know the guy was a jerk and she was justified.
Hmmm.... never thought of it that way. I feel very happy that I bought it, come to think of it! She WAS a very nice, foxy lady, too!

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-29-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

LOL, you said, "foxy". I haven't heard that word in awhile. You should have offered to take her portrait with the gear you had just bought.
07-29-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
LOL, you said, "foxy". I haven't heard that word in awhile. You should have offered to take her portrait with the gear you had just bought.
I guess that's showing my age, huh? Maybe, "She was the bomb"? or whatever the catchphrase of the day is. I'm out of the loop by a wide margin. Foxy still works for me!

Dewman
SW Idaho
07-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I guess that's showing my age, huh? Maybe, "She was the bomb"? or whatever the catchphrase of the day is. I'm out of the loop by a wide margin. Foxy still works for me!

Dewman
SW Idaho
"Da bomb" was, I believe, the phrase of the day in the 90's. These days I believe it is "hot". I am, also, very out if the loop.