Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2015, 04:08 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz 52 AF-1 - New Firmware

Somewhere in late September last year I had my Metz 52 firing randomly by itself when in HSS mode. I contacted the Metz Germany and explain my problem. At that point they were unaware of the problem and after I reported this they responded back asking me on more details on the problem. I send another email with detailed info and settings used on Pentax K-3 and K-5II, lenses used, etc. Turns out that they did not have neither camera but they had K-7 and K-30 and was able to replicate the problem I had. I was reading here that some other users had the same problem and reported this to them as well. Finally in October they forwarded the issue to development department and informed me that they will notify me when they got problem fixed.

I thought first that this is it and I have to live with it... but no way, Metz did take this seriously and responded back on January 23 that they have fix for this and released new firmware which solves the problem. I guess tomorrow is update time, borrowed flash to a friend, after I pick up.

Kudos to Metz and with this they won me again back (using Metz since mid 90's), even I was short of pulling trigger on some other Pentax flash.

Here is the email I got with update link:

Dear Mr Lxxxx,

As of now a new firmware version (1.3) for the flash unit mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital for Pentax is available by which the mentioned problem is solved. This new firmware can be downloaded from our homepage by following link:

http://www.metz.de/en/flash-units/firmware-download-flash-units/mecablitz-52...al/pentax.html
Best regards

from Metz webpage:

Firmware 1.3 (released on 23.01.2015)

Improvements:

1. Sporadic triggering in P-TTL HSS mode by itself removed.
2. Triggering together with K-lenses in Rear function enabled (Attention: P-TTL isn't possible with K-lenses determined by the system).
3. P-TTL-flash-mode enhanced.
4. Zoom size function is automatically activated.

Last edited by RAART; 01-24-2015 at 09:39 PM.
01-24-2015, 04:19 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
This is great to hear! One of the reasons I stuck with Metz for my external flash is because of the ability to easily update the firmware at home. I don't like the idea of needing to ship the flash or take it somewhere just to do something that I can in 5 minutes at home.

obin
01-24-2015, 04:30 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
This is great to hear! One of the reasons I stuck with Metz for my external flash is because of the ability to easily update the firmware at home. I don't like the idea of needing to ship the flash or take it somewhere just to do something that I can in 5 minutes at home.

obin
That's interesting; how do you carry out the firmware updates then? I may well decide to take a look at those in the autumn when I have more spending money.
01-24-2015, 04:56 PM   #4

The Metz firmware updates are really easy. All you do is download the firmware from their website and then hook the flash into a USB drive. It is extremely easy to do!

Take a look at the Metz firmware page:
Firmware Download Flash Units: Metz

They spell out the steps really easily:
http://www.metz.de/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin/fm-dam/Do...6a83d048a049d3

The whole process is painless and fast! I updated my Metz flash very easily.

obin

01-24-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update done... Now have to wait and test it whenever I have chance!
01-25-2015, 03:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have had a 52 for a year and a half. Great Flash and have always been happy. Metz is great with FW updates, the second since I got it but I wonder what this means exactly:

2. Triggering together with K-lenses in Rear function enabled (Attention: P-TTL isn't possible with K-lenses determined by the system).

Does that mean P-TTL does not operate correctly with focusing from the back button rather than the shutter?

I wonder what enhancements were made ?
01-28-2015, 06:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I performed the update, it's pretty easy (if maybe a little long, with all the drivers installation). Works perfectly!

I can't say I observed any changes, given that the flash was performing fine before this, I probably was never in the situations that needed improvements.

01-28-2015, 11:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Update done. All OK.

Kudos to RAART for diligently pursuing the issue with Metz. It's also excellent to see Metz actively and responsively updating their firmware.
01-29-2015, 03:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@rawr Thanks!

@JimC1101 I might reply to the Metz tech and ask him what was done exactly there but to be honest I do not expect any response

@bdery Glad that it worked perfectly... I tested HSS on random firing and none... This has been fixed for sure.
01-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote
I have had a 52 for a year and a half. Great Flash and have always been happy. Metz is great with FW updates, the second since I got it but I wonder what this means exactly:

Does that mean P-TTL does not operate correctly with focusing from the back button rather than the shutter?
K lenses are all manual focus and manual aperture. I would guess the "rear function" is probably rear curtain sync on the flash...?
12-25-2016, 01:23 PM   #11
Forum Member

Hello all. I've a Metz af 52. It is very easy to use. I've updated it to ver. 1,3. since first day, so I didn't knew last version. But When plug it to my k3ii on pttl or M mode only goes to 1/90 shutter speed or HSS it jumps speed from 1/90 to 1/200. anyone have the same problem? Should I update the firmware again?
08-24-2017, 06:00 AM   #12

Latest firmware update for Metz 52 released 4/20/2017

Pentax: Metz

I am currently researching the best flash for my K5 IIs and found this update available.

Firmware history:

http://www.metz-mecatech.de/index.php?eID=tx_nawsecuredl&u=0&file=fileadmin/...c079e07d220486

Best,

Paul

Last edited by Pentax K5; 08-26-2017 at 11:36 AM.
08-24-2017, 11:12 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimC1101 Quote

I wonder what enhancements were made ?
No, I don't think it is about any camera buttons ...I interpret the sentence to mean that Rear Curtain Sync will be possible with K and M lenses. Something new and interesting for sure .... Anyone up for a bit of that ??

I'm guessing the"enhanced P-TTL" is to do with flash exposure metering. Any improvements always welcome!

---------- Post added 24-08-17 at 18:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luismpg Quote
Hello all. I've a Metz af 52. It is very easy to use. I've updated it to ver. 1,3. since first day, so I didn't knew last version. But When plug it to my k3ii on pttl or M mode only goes to 1/90 shutter speed or HSS it jumps speed from 1/90 to 1/200. anyone have the same problem? Should I update the firmware again?

That exposure time limitation is usually related to 2nd Curtain Sync being activated ..... Check that this is not the case. In M mode you should be able to set any shutter 'speed' through to 1/180th, then in HSS mode right down to 1/8000th.
08-28-2017, 03:42 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote

That exposure time limitation is usually related to 2nd Curtain Sync being activated ..... Check that this is not the case. In M mode you should be able to set any shutter 'speed' through to 1/180th, then in HSS mode right down to 1/8000th.

Thanks for you response again. I've posted here the results a couple months ago, in fact i was with the 2nd Curtain Sync activated, onde I put it in 1st courtain works fine:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/316242-metz-...ml#post3869914
02-20-2023, 05:13 AM   #15
Forum Member

Coming late to the party, my Metz 52 AF-1is at V 1.1 and apparently the latest is V1.4

metz-mecatech.de is "coming up soon" and Google has found V1.3 from to me unknown source "drivers.plus"

Has anybody anything newer than V1.1 laying around?

TIA