Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
First flash,not too much time

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi to everyone,i'm new to this forum and i'm searching for an advice
i have to buy an external flash before the 5° may before a 18 birthday,and i have 3 chances :
1)Yongnuo YN-560 - Mark III + trigger wireless - 100 euros
2) used metz 44 - 100 euros
3) new metz 52 - 190 euros
i'm tempted to buy the yongnuo ,but is a manual flash too difficult to use in a dynamic situation such a party?
at the other hand i've heard bad reviews of pentax p-ttl ...
could you help me??
sorry for the bad english,i'm in this forum even to improve it

04-25-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would either buy a very good P-TTL flash, which will not be cheap.
Or an "auto" flash, which controls light output by its own photocell.

In the days before the introduction of computerized flashes, one had to calculate aperture setting before each shot. It was possible, but often slowed down the shooting, and still let to a certain amount of bad pictures. I remember that the use of "auto" flashes was a BIG improvement. And later the motor zoom flashes added.

As an "auto" flash I would look for a Metz 40MZ-2, 40MZ-3, or 40MZ-3i.
If the rooms are not VERY big, even a Metz 32MZ-2 would do, they are very cheap.

For all of these, you would need a modul SCA3701 or SCA3702.
Be aware that the 40MZ series tends to develop problems with the gear of the motor zoom, when they get older and have been used a lot.

EDIT:
I just saw you are in Italy.
I know eBay sellers from your country usually set minimum prices for photographic equipment far higher than the average level items will be sold for in Germany. So I guess the prices in Italy (for used equipment) are generally higher than here.
In Germany, a 32MZ-2 should be about €30-40, a 40MZ-2 about €50-70. With some luck, a Pentax SCA modul is included. Seperately they are not so cheap, €15-25.

EDIT:
Don't get fooled by the seemingly low guide number ("GN") of 32 or 40 of these flashes.
The base of the GN calculation has changed since. Today the 40MZ series would be offered with approximately GN58.

Last edited by RKKS08; 04-25-2015 at 03:43 PM.
04-25-2015, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From the list, the Metz 52.

If you want to buy 2nd hand, look for a first generation AF540FGZ or Metz 45 CT-1 or 45 CT-4. For another thread, I found Metz Mecablitz 45ct 4 Hammerhead NiCad Flashgun Complete | eBay

The CT-1 is basically auto-thyristor only (it only has full power manual mode), the CT-4 adds a number of manual power levels.

//Edit
There are two versions of the CT-1. Serial numbers below 534000 are not safe to use directky with a digital camera.

Last edited by sterretje; 04-26-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Added warning about CT-1
04-26-2015, 04:36 AM   #4

I have got the metz 48 af which is great for the price

if you want to use on camera the metz 44 is easy to use (use in pttl and forget it) and a great starting flash but has some limits, you can find a used metz 48 or 50 at the same price which are better (lcd display, easy to use with remote control ecc)

05-02-2015, 01:06 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I picked up the metz 52, I hope I will be satisfied of it and of the p-ttl
maybe I could try to use it in manual mode and if I can do it, I return it and take the yongnuo...
05-02-2015, 02:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by onepluser Quote
I picked up the metz 52, I hope I will be satisfied of it and of the p-ttl
It's a great flash on Pentax P-TTL. You won't be sorry you bought it.