Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 01:36 AM   #1
Forum Member

How to make Pentax-K5 II work with Canon off camera flash units ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi All,
I have the following equipment :
Pentax K-5 II
Metz Mecablitz 50 AF-1 for Pentax flash unit
Canon Speedlite 430EX II flash unit
Canon Speedlite 90EX flash unit (no power control but hopefully can be used as hair light or background light)
two flash mounted diffusers, DIY snoots (ex stubby holders)
two tripods (one flimsy - still good enough for a flash unit, and a proper one).

I am really keen to try three point lighting, etc.
Can you please advise me on what else I need to get it working.
Pentax K-5 II and Metz 50 AF-1 work perfectly with both optical slave mode (no transmission) and wireless (optical transmission).
Unfortunately neither Canon 430EX II nor Canon 90EX do not have optical slave mode (no transmission) ("dumb" optical slave mode).
And as they are eTTL they cannot be used in wireless (optical transmission) mode either.
All I want to do is to make it work, so I do not want to spend a lot. Just bare minimum.
What do you think about this
Wireless Radio Slave Remote Flash Transceiver Trigger 3 Receiver 4 Channels | eBay
AU $28.59

The only issue I can see with this kit is that it won't sync faster than 1/125.

Or, do you think I should invest a bit more and get better/proper radio triggers ?
If so, which ones would you recommend ?

Thank you

Last edited by Foma2; 04-26-2015 at 02:05 AM.
04-26-2015, 02:07 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know ZERO about Canon flashes, so my answer may be totally off, but if the flashes have any sort of manual mode any dumb trigger should able able to get them to fire. Of course you will have to do the calculations yourself to get exposure (or shoot and chimp).

Im not sure where you get the 1/125th sec limit from. the Pentax should work up to 1/180th sec, unless this is a limit of the triggers you have selected.
04-26-2015, 04:33 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Limit of the triggers. I have a set I use and the synch is slower than my K5IIs.

I have used some cheap triggers (not this variety) and besides the slower synch are unable to "wake" a sleeping slave. Other than that no complaints.
04-26-2015, 04:42 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The Cactus v6 can control Canon 430 EX, and the Metz 50 AF1 for Pentax, and may also do other helpful stuff for you:
Cactus Wireless Flash Transceiver V6 | CACTUS

04-26-2015, 04:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
I know ZERO about Canon flashes, so my answer may be totally off, but if the flashes have any sort of manual mode any dumb trigger should able able to get them to fire. Of course you will have to do the calculations yourself to get exposure (or shoot and chimp).

Im not sure where you get the 1/125th sec limit from. the Pentax should work up to 1/180th sec, unless this is a limit of the triggers you have selected.
Thanks for response.

Unfortunately as I said in my post neither Canon 430EX II nor Canon 90EX have optical slave mode (no transmission) ("dumb" optical slave mode).
So, there is no way to fire them without extra triggers / sensors, etc.

Last edited by Foma2; 04-26-2015 at 04:58 AM.
04-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Foma2 Quote
You need to study the Cactus v6 features more, I think.

Cactus V6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
04-26-2015, 05:06 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You need to study the Cactus v6 features more, I think.

Cactus V6 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
I did and it looks like it is a wonderful thing to have but
- it is quite costly : at least $70 a piece and I will need 4 of them (or at least 3).
- the biggest advantage of having it is a TTL mode. But I have a Pentax camera with Canon flash units so it is a mixture of pTTL and eTTL. I do not think that it is going to work too well. As per the specs it has a "Learning Mode for Analog TTL". I haven't dug deep and probbaly it may work well for my configuration but I do not really need TTL functionality for extra $200.

04-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
All I want to do is to make it work, so I do not want to spend a lot. Just bare minimum
The units you are looking at will work fine indoors. I have the same units and I've been using them for over 3 years. The one thing to remember is that the trigger unit does not have an on/off button and the battery will eventually drain. It is easily replaced or can be pulled out between shootings.

Just as a warning, once you travel down this road, you will probably end up buying a cheap set of umbrellas and stands.

Tim
04-26-2015, 05:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Sell your Canon speedlights and use the cash to buy two Nikon SB-26 speedlights. Readily available on eBay and/or keh.com usually for $85-$100US, and the SB-26 has a built in optical slave.
04-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Those should work fine, however for inexpensive take a look at the similar Cowboy studio trigger and receivers, they have an on off switch.
04-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
The units you are looking at will work fine indoors. I have the same units and I've been using them for over 3 years. The one thing to remember is that the trigger unit does not have an on/off button and the battery will eventually drain. It is easily replaced or can be pulled out between shootings.
Thanks. Good point.

QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Just as a warning, once you travel down this road, you will probably end up buying a cheap set of umbrellas and stands.
Tim
It's on my list as well. I found a set of two stands with umbrellas for $38.
They are not a pro quality but good enough for random shooting.
But first I need to try how things work woth what I have right now.

PS nice shots BTW

---------- Post added 04-27-15 at 08:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
Sell your Canon speedlights and use the cash to buy two Nikon SB-26 speedlights. Readily available on eBay and/or keh.com usually for $85-$100US, and the SB-26 has a built in optical slave.
Thanks but no. I have a Canon EOS M camera and I may need them one day.

---------- Post added 04-27-15 at 08:33 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Those should work fine, however for inexpensive take a look at the similar Cowboy studio trigger and receivers, they have an on off switch.
Do you mean these ones ?
Amazon.com : CowboyStudio NPT-04 4 Channel Wireless Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Receiver : Camera Flash Accessories : Camera & Photo

If so, it does not look like there is an on/off switch on the trigger.
04-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for response.

Unfortunately as I said in my post neither Canon 430EX II nor Canon 90EX have optical slave mode (no transmission) ("dumb" optical slave mode).
I didn't say anything about optical triggering. The flash will fire if you short the trigger pin to earth ( usually the centre pin, but I'm not sure about Canon gear). The radio poppers you havee will probably be able to do this do this for you. They communicate with each other via rf signals and the master simply tells the slave unit to fire. There is no P-TTL or E-TTL or anything fancy, just 'fire'.

As I said earlier, as there is no TTL signal of any type, the flash power will need to be set manually ( look up the inverse square rule)
04-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Yes, those are the ones I have,
there are on off swtiches.
07-12-2015, 04:06 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi All. Thanks for helping me.
Finally I got this set
Yongnuo RF 602 2 4GHz Wireless Remote Flash Trigger 3 Receivers 1pcs Transmitter | eBay
Yongnuo RF-602 2.4GHz Wireless Remote Flash Trigger 3 Receivers 1pcs Transmitter
it is a better quality set than the one I posted before and the one I posted before was not available anyway.
It is a bit dearer for AU $67.99 but with 20% discount code which was available a few weeks ago it was brough down to $54.40 which is not much dearer than the one in my first post.
I tried it a few days ago and it works perfect for all possible combinations of Canon and Pentax (Metz) flash units and cameras.
07-12-2015, 04:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've used these for years, very reliable. Two warnings though:

-Take the battery out of the transmitter when storing or make sure the fire button can't be depressed in your bag. Holding the button down for long periods of time can drain the battery (of course) and/or make it go kooky (the LED flashes repeatedly and it won't trigger the receivers). If it goes kooky, remove the battery for a minute or so and all is good.

-You may find they don't sync reliably at 1/180th (or possibly even at 1/160th). Manually half pressing the test button on the Tx as you hit the shutter gets around this, or there is a mod if you're so inclined - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/69648-rf-602-...iggers-11.html.