Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-26-2015, 09:26 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Review of the Godox AD360

Although I continue in an attempt to find a way to allow the 645Z to perform HSS with any of the 360s, the AD360 is a remarkable strobe for ultra portable use. You can find my article here.

Attached Images

04-26-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Great work, Mark (or "pureblood"). You not only describe working with the flash unit, but also the modifiers and the lighting decisions you made for each shot. Invaluable!

As far as off-camera HSS with the 645Z, this is something of a unicorn many of us are chasing, from the APS-C bodies up to the 645's (and soon the 35mm's). Getting one of the old leaf-shutter lenses (135mm f/4?), or waiting for the rumored "new" 645 LS lens is difficult.

I've done some messing about with the Cactus V6 triggers using a Pentax AF-540FGZ and the trigger's "TTL pass through" feature, which allows my K-3 to send a flash signal above sync speed, but haven't gotten the millisecond timing down for the delay in firing the other strobes (and it changes on ya!).
04-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your experience with the Cactus v6 as I had considered trying one, but based upon your experience I'll hold off. As much as I'd love to figure out how to achieve HSS with the Z simply because I LOVE the feel of MF, I'll have to stick with the Canon or Fuji for now. I too am waiting for some modern LS lenses. Right now my best bet for outdoor ambient knock down is to use my Rovelite 600 with a variable ND filter. But it doesn't resolve high movement like dance in high ambient conditions. I need to take my own advice and use the right tool for the right job, so the Z remains in studio...for now.
05-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
I've done some messing about with the Cactus V6 triggers using a Pentax AF-540FGZ and the trigger's "TTL pass through" feature, which allows my K-3 to send a flash signal above sync speed, but haven't gotten the millisecond timing down for the delay in firing the other strobes (and it changes on ya!).
If you have an HSS-capable flash, you don't need any delay settings at all up to a certain shutter speed by simply configuring the V6 to optically trigger on the main flash. This works for me up to 1/2000s.

If you want to go beyond this shutter speed then you can trigger on the pre-flash using a delay. Try 94ms. Another K-3 user found this to be a delay that works for a large range of apertures. You may have to tweak the value a bit since it applies to a technique I thought off that does not use any HSS-capable flash at all.

05-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pursang Quote
Thanks for your experience with the Cactus v6 as I had considered trying one, but based upon your experience I'll hold off.
I don't think there is reason to be discouraged.

There are a number of ways you can achieve HSS illumination with a V6. The variability of the delay value panoguy alluded to applies to two of them but only occurs when you change the aperture value and for the K-3 apparently is largely non-existent even then.

I refer to two HSS techniques in my V6 review with one of them not needing a delay setting at all (but being limited in the maximum shutter speed).

Since then I came up with a HSS technique that does not need a HSS-capable flash for triggering purposes.

The question in your case is whether you can manually set a Wistro to using HSS mode. If you can, you can use the same techniques that work with the RF60, but there is a chance that the Wistro depends on the Cells trigger to operate in HSS mode.

If you could not engage HSS mode on a Wistro manually, you would be left with the HyperSync technique only, i.e., you could do all of the above but the Wistro would have to run on full power output because only then its flash duration would be long enough to illuminate the whole frame.

Last edited by Class A; 05-25-2015 at 07:05 PM.