Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #1

neewer tt560 not firing in time in wireless

Hello,
I was playing around with my Pentax k5iis the other day with wireless flash mode. and had some trouble...

I had my settings as this...
-camera in M
-iso 800
-1/30
-F5.6
-first had camera built in flash discharge method as default 1 = "discharge built in flash as master"
-then tried 2 = "discharge built in flash as controller flash"

flash on full power.
-neewer flash in s1 slave mode

In ether case neewer flash had no effect on the picture at full power. looks like flash didn't fire from the result. I watch it close and it does fire but is it late or early?

Just for fun tried the neewer flash on lowest power. At 1 it did show in picture. At 2 it showed in pictures. At 3 it showed in pictures. At 4 and up nothing same result as if the neewer was off.

What am i missing here.? Bad flash?

06-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jalmeter29 Quote
Hello,
I was playing around with my Pentax k5iis the other day with wireless flash mode. and had some trouble...

I had my settings as this...
-camera in M
-iso 800
-1/30
-F5.6
-first had camera built in flash discharge method as default 1 = "discharge built in flash as master"
-then tried 2 = "discharge built in flash as controller flash"

flash on full power.
-neewer flash in s1 slave mode

In ether case neewer flash had no effect on the picture at full power. looks like flash didn't fire from the result. I watch it close and it does fire but is it late or early?

Just for fun tried the neewer flash on lowest power. At 1 it did show in picture. At 2 it showed in pictures. At 3 it showed in pictures. At 4 and up nothing same result as if the neewer was off.

What am i missing here.? Bad flash?
From what I can see, that flash does not appear to support P-TTL. Its a fully manual, single pin flash. The wireless flash options you are trying to use are for P-TTL wireless flashes. In order to use this flash wirelessly, you will have to trigger it with radio triggers (ideally) or using either optical dumb slave or smart slave.

S1 mode (dumb slave) means it will flash when it sees a flash. If you use the onboard pop-up flash to trigger it, you must use M mode so that there is no pre-flash. The P-TTL metering pre-flash will trigger the flash before the actual exposure.

S2 mode accounts for the P-TTL pre-flash by waiting after the pre-flash and then going off. You will need to use regular P-TTL on the pop-up flash. Using manual flash on the pop-up will make the Neewer go off too late.
06-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
From what I can see, that flash does not appear to support P-TTL. Its a fully manual, single pin flash. The wireless flash options you are trying to use are for P-TTL wireless flashes. In order to use this flash wirelessly, you will have to trigger it with radio triggers (ideally) or using either optical dumb slave or smart slave.

S1 mode (dumb slave) means it will flash when it sees a flash. If you use the onboard pop-up flash to trigger it, you must use M mode so that there is no pre-flash. The P-TTL metering pre-flash will trigger the flash before the actual exposure.

S2 mode accounts for the P-TTL pre-flash by waiting after the pre-flash and then going off. You will need to use regular P-TTL on the pop-up flash. Using manual flash on the pop-up will make the Neewer go off too late.
Ok thanks for the quick reply. I knew there was something to it.

yes flash is full Manuel.

Whats my best bet for off camera flash with the neewer? Get a cable? Does anyone know of any good value ones. Just want something for product photos or macro so the flash inst sitting right on top of the camera.

thanks again,
Jake.
06-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ok thanks for the quick reply. I knew there was something to it.

yes flash is full Manuel.

Whats my best bet for off camera flash with the neewer? Get a cable? Does anyone know of any good value ones. Just want something for product photos or macro so the flash inst sitting right on top of the camera.

thanks again,
Jake.
If you don't mind having the pop-up flash contribute to the exposure, then using S2 mode should be perfectly fine.

Ideally, get some cheap radio triggers like Cactus v5 or v6 and use those.

06-29-2015, 10:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ok I can give S2 mode a try later today.

I'm assuming S2 refers to the mode the neewer flash has to be set to..

what mode should the camera be set to under flash discharge method?...
-1 = "discharge built in flash as master"
-2 = "discharge built in flash as controller flash"
06-29-2015, 11:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok I can give S2 mode a try later today.

I'm assuming S2 refers to the mode the neewer flash has to be set to..

what mode should the camera be set to under flash discharge method?...
-1 = "discharge built in flash as master"
-2 = "discharge built in flash as controller flash"
Yes, the Neewer should be in S2 mode.

The camera should be set to standard Flash On. Then set the flash exposure compensation to -3 ev or lower. The Neewer flash will have to have a pretty good line of sight of the pop-up flash.
06-29-2015, 02:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
That worked. Not happy with the pop up flash showing up in the picture. I will be in the market for a flash cable or a wireless solution. i have a mini flash cable that's a foot long. Looking for a springy one now.