Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-30-2015, 04:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Photos: Gallery
Which P-TTL flash to buy? Metz 52, 58, or Pentax 540

I love my Cactus RF60 and V6 combination, but I'm needing an easier to use high-speed flash setup for upcoming indoor action shots.

Given the guide number of the Cactus RF60, I'm not willing to settle for less, especially as this new flash might become the primary with its HSS and P-TTL abilities. Further, I'd like something with a nice diffuser cap and battery pack option.

I think the Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash, Metz - mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital Flash, or Metz - mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital Flash would work well for me. The question is, what do you suggest?

The flash would be mounted to a Pentax K-5ii.

06-30-2015, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by comprock Quote
I love my Cactus RF60 and V6 combination, but I'm needing an easier to use high-speed flash setup for upcoming indoor action shots.

Given the guide number of the Cactus RF60, I'm not willing to settle for less, especially as this new flash might become the primary with its HSS and P-TTL abilities. Further, I'd like something with a nice diffuser cap and battery pack option.

I think the Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash, Metz - mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital Flash, or Metz - mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital Flash would work well for me. The question is, what do you suggest?

Take a look at the Sigma EF-610 DG Super. It does a great job and is cheaper than the Pentax version.
06-30-2015, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Location: Portland, Montreal, Menton, Dubai, Pondicherry, Singapore, Kaohsiung, Coupeville
Original Poster
Thank you @Dmoran. Any experience with the Cactus V6 controlling it when off camera? Do you know if the K-5 ii wireless flash controller works with this?

---------- Post added Jun 30th, 2015 at 22:47 ----------

@Dmoran, per https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/125-flashes-lighting-studio/261793-cactus...-failures.html, Cactus V6 doesn't work with the Sigma 610. So that means the Sigma is out for now.
06-30-2015, 07:57 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Dmoran Quote
Take a look at the Sigma EF-610 DG Super. It does a great job and is cheaper than the Pentax version.
I agree. I paid 78£ for mine, from Amazon Warehouse Deals.

07-01-2015, 03:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I checked your link and it looks like the 52 AF-1 does not work with the Cactus V6. Pity though I have that flash and really like it. I've been considering the RF60 and V6 combo how do you like it?
07-01-2015, 04:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Metz - mecablitz 58 AF-2
this guy seem to have every features possible
07-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I think the Pentax AF540FGZ II Flash, Metz - mecablitz 58 AF-2 digital Flash, or Metz - mecablitz 52 AF-1 digital Flash would work well for me.
Both the Metz 58 AF-2 and the AF 540 FGZ II would be good choices in principle but note that they both take considerably longer to recycle than the RF60 (need not be a problem, though) and that the Metz cannot act as an HSS master while the AF 540 FGZ II is rather expensive.

You may still find the older AF 540 FGZ model for a lot less money and will just forgo weather-sealing and the LED light.

07-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@wstruth, up until I realized that I needed flash on my camera so I could do high speed, I was rocking on my Cactus V6 and RF60 combo. I still really like it, but I'm finding that my next flash so I can have HSS will become my primary on camera when shooting action. Either that or I need to find a remote trigger that'll take Pentax's HSS and fire one of my Cactus units.

@redcat, I'm leaning towards the Metz - mecablitz 58 AF-2, but I've not confirmed if there's a battery pack option for it. The 540 is a good option, but lack of battery pack is making me feel some pain.
07-01-2015, 07:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

@wstruth, up until I realized that I needed flash on my camera so I could do high speed, I was rocking on my Cactus V6 and RF60 combo. I still really like it, but I'm finding that my next flash so I can have HSS will become my primary on camera when shooting action. Either that or I need to find a remote trigger that'll take Pentax's HSS and fire one of my Cactus units.

@redcat, I'm leaning towards the Metz - mecablitz 58 AF-2, but I've not confirmed if there's a battery pack option for it. The 540 is a good option, but lack of battery pack is making me feel some pain.

I've been looking at the Metz 58 AF-2 for a long time. Soon as I get the funds, it will be on it's way to me. Here's a link for a power pack that I'm pretty sure will work with the 58 AF-2:
Amazon.com : Metz MZ 53129 Power Pack P76 with Charger : Digital Camera Battery Chargers : Camera & Photo It $430.
07-02-2015, 05:01 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I've used the Sigma, Pentax 540 v1, Metz 52 extensively. And handled the Metz 58 and 540 v2 a bit.

The Sigma is the cheapest, I don't like the menu structure. It will work well enough but it feels cheaper.
The Pentax is well made, some options are lightning quick to adjust, some others are much more complicated. What I dislike the most is the convoluted method for switching from wireless TTL to optical slave.
The 52, with its on-screen menu, is slower to perform some tasks, but faster for others. It's the TTL flash I now use exclusively.

I suggest you read the review I wrote here, it will tell you if this is the flash for you:

Metz 52 AF-1 Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
07-02-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I've used the Sigma, Pentax 540 v1, Metz 52 extensively. And handled the Metz 58 and 540 v2 a bit.

The Sigma is the cheapest, I don't like the menu structure. It will work well enough but it feels cheaper.
The Pentax is well made, some options are lightning quick to adjust, some others are much more complicated. What I dislike the most is the convoluted method for switching from wireless TTL to optical slave.
The 52, with its on-screen menu, is slower to perform some tasks, but faster for others. It's the TTL flash I now use exclusively.

I suggest you read the review I wrote here, it will tell you if this is the flash for you:

Metz 52 AF-1 Flash Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
@bdery, thank you for the notes. You write in the review…

QuoteQuote:
PTTL and PTTL-HSS are the modern, standard Pentax TTL protocol, with or without support for high-speed sync. HSS works as expected but the flash does not communicate its HSS status to the camera. This means that the camera will default to a shutter speed of 1/180s even when HSS is activated. However, speeds faster than 1/180 can be used and the flash will fire accordingly
Does this mean that with the Metz 52 on the camera if I have a 1/250 or 1/500 shutter speed that the flash will fire when in PTTL-HSS mode?

Also, what do you see as the pros and cons to using the Metz 58?
07-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Does this mean that with the Metz 52 on the camera if I have a 1/250 or 1/500 shutter speed that the flash will fire when in PTTL-HSS mode?
If I understand your question correctly, then eyes. any flash with HSS available will fire at shutter speeds faster than 1/180. With my 52 AF-1, my default mode is PTTL HSS. When I want to use HSS, I simply select an aperture that will give me a faster shutter speed.

Be aware that HSS lowers the effective guide number on the flash, because to achieve a correct result the flash fires multiple short bursts.

Also, what do you see as the pros and cons to using the Metz 58?
I haven't used it much. As for pros, I'd say the dual light, the GN, the build quality. As cons, the menu system is ok but not as straightforward as the 52 (better than Sigma; different, but no better or worse than the 540), the front light apparently has limited controls, and I don't think it can act as a wireless HSS master (only relevant if you use multiple PTTL flashes in wireless HSS).

Given the complexity of advanced flash functions, I really like what Metz did with the menu-driven 52, everything is clear and easy to access. I heard many good things about the new 64, a merge of the 52 and 58. More expensive however.
07-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@bdery Thank you for all of the feedback here. I'm somewhat feeling that I need to try out multiple flashes to pick the new primary unit. My Cactus RF60 might stay home more and become relegated to being fill or rim.
07-02-2015, 12:52 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

I'm somewhat feeling that I need to try out multiple flashes to pick the new primary unit.
Well you can read manuals and reviews. If you have access to a well-furnished store you can try them. Otherwise, remember that they will all work, at the end of the day. It boils down to ease of use and personal preferences.
06-14-2016, 06:14 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Howdy all,

I picked up a couple of Metz 52 AF-1 at a great inexpensive price locally. I've tried out their P-TTL, and it's rocking easy to use. I'm impressed. Cycle times at full pop are decent like my Cactus RF-60s.

Now, though, how do I trigger them in an off camera configuration?

Any ideas for using my onboard Pentax K-5ii flash controller or the Cactus V6?