Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Acon R930 P-TTL radio trigger and 1/8000 Sync

Anyone tried one of these new Pentax wireless P-TTL triggers?
Looks promising.

acon-photo - wonderful photography

QuoteQuote:
The Acon R930 is the first radio trigger function P-TTL and 1/8000 Sync. developed for PENTAX in the world. it is very reliable, feature-packed, easy-to-use solution for remote flash and camera triggering available。

Feature description:
  • Remote trigger high speed sync. PTTL
  • Remote manual controller
  • Digital Timer Remote
  • Remote flash power adjust
  • Firmware Update. Even to Canon or Nikon firmware.(for SN with PX prefix only)

TTL compatibility: Pentax P-TTL,
Frequency: FSK 2.4 GHz
Channels: 8 channels
Groups: A-B-C
Antenna: internal coil
Range: Up to 100 m (dependent on enviroment)
Sync speed: Up to 1/8000
Status Indicator: LED: Green, Amber, Red status indications
Transmit Output Power: Less than 1 milliwatt (0.001 watt)
Power: Two (2) AAA
Battery life: Up to 50 hours (with alkaline batteries)
Max Port Sync Voltage: 5 Volts (Camera/Flash Port)
Voltage Present: 3 volts, safe for use with all digital and film cameras
Weight: 120 grams (4 ounces) with batteries installed
Dimensions Height: 13.3cm| Width: 5.1cm | Depth: 3.2cm
Operating Temperature: Above -15° and below 50° C.
Storage Temperature: Above -30° C and below 85° C (without battery)
Input/Output: 3.5mm (1/8”) stereo miniphone jack, hot shoe
Mounting: Hot shoe, lanyard/D-Ring loop, ¼-20 threaded insert
Overview and usage video: [Nov 2015]

Last edited by rawr; 02-24-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Added overview video
07-31-2015, 03:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Anyone tried one of these new Pentax wireless P-TTL triggers?
Looks promising.

acon-photo - wonderful photography
Yep. I got an early pair, and it's pretty surprising that they transmit *all* P-TTL information over pretty long distances. Not only is the P-TTL exactly like having a flash on a cable (flash comp, etc.), but the flash head zooms with the lens, the AF assist light comes on in low light, and naturally HSS mode on the flash allows up to 1/8000 exposures.

The downside is that right now they only work with the AF-540FGZ II and 360 II, but not with the older Pentax flashes, and other Mfr's P-TTL flashes. Further, they don't work with every Pentax camera out there.

Naturally to test them out, I went to visit the Ricoh Imaging Canada office, and together we tried out a slew of current models. My K-5 works very well (again with the 540 II) but my K-3 requires some wiggling in the hot shoe. The new K-3II doesn't work at all, nor does the K-S2, and the K-S1 and Q-S1 only fire at full power. The Q7 works well, though, so it's probably something to do with the version of the camera, almost as if Pentax P-TTL is a moving target.

I'm working with the developers to improve the firmware so they will be "production ready" for all cameras and flashes old and new. In the meanwhile, here is an example image (of our local Pentax rep) shot from a 645Z at 1/4000 with the AF-540FGZII off camera. I'd also recommend getting a pair if you have some patience for trying things out.

Any doubters can download the full image from this link here.

Last edited by panoguy; 07-31-2015 at 03:21 PM.
07-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
he downside is that right now they only work with the AF-540FGZ II and 360 II, but not with the older Pentax flashes, and other Mfr's P-TTL flashes. Further, they don't work with every Pentax camera out there.
Have you seen the table in this PDF? They seem to have verified compatibility with a wider range of cameras and flashes. Maybe they have updated the firmware. (Download was dated 30 July).

07-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Have you seen the table in this PDF? They seem to have verified compatibility with a wider range of cameras and flashes. Maybe they have updated the firmware. (Download was dated 30 July).
No, I hadn't seen that yet, and I've been away for a while, so didn't check the firmware downloads as of... yesterday?

I know Jerry & Jeff were working hard on supporting more flashes and cameras, as well as expanding the multi-flash capabilities. Interestingly, the triggers themselves have a "multi-hotshoe interface" which could also support Canon and Nikon TTL (the pins are there) through a firmware update. I think the idea is that if you switch systems, you just update the firmware!

07-31-2015, 03:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think the idea is that if you switch systems, you just update the firmware!
That's a great concept. More power to them.

Last edited by rawr; 02-24-2016 at 05:55 PM.
07-31-2015, 04:11 PM   #6
Pentaxian

One other important thing to mention about the triggers is that they support P-TTL, manual, and an "override" mode which basically allows you to use more (or less) power than the TTL calculations require. One area where this is important is when using HSS in daylight, where P-TTL limits how much power multiple flashes would output. Ever try to use flash exp. comp in HSS mode?

This isn't a complete system like Nikon's CLS, or even as advanced as the manual Cactus V6 triggers (groups, ratios, etc.), but it is full P-TTL for Pentax on wireless triggers without a need for line-of-sight!
07-31-2015, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
it is full P-TTL for Pentax on wireless triggers without a need for line-of-sight!
I'm just kind of amazed that a small Chinese company working probably from a garage somewhere in Shenzen can make a RF wireless P-TTL product, yet Ricoh (or Metz or Sigma, for that matter) can't.

07-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wonder if it works with the new K3II?
07-31-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

$120 plus $16 shipping for transmitter, receiver, 2.5mm cable and USB update cable. Send an email to info@acon-photo.com

Is the 2.5mm for triggering the body?
07-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Good news, that Pentax is receiving some attention!

If only P-TTL would be worth having. I think P-TTL as it is, is unsuitable for working with multiple flashes (the level ratio control is extremely limited) and my experiences with single flash usage have not been great either. Perhaps it is my K-5 II (the K-5 series is known to have a P-TTL bug which the K-3 replaced by a P-TTL delay), but bouncing with my P-TTL Metz 58 AF-2 requires serious positive flash exposure compensation, while direct flash results in overexposure unless addressed.

Bit unfortunate that there aren't any more product images available showing the triggers from multiple angles. It would also be interesting to know what the controls / LEDs on the trigger are for.
07-31-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The "Careers" page mentions "Dassault Systèmes". Does anyone know whether there is a connection, or should that company name not be there?
07-31-2015, 10:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Does anyone know whether there is a connection, or should that company name not be there?
I'd say they have cut-and-pasted some biolerplate HTML text from a template somewhere, (or from Dassault's career page ). Plus there are several mentions of '401K' benefits, which is an exclusively USA pension plan thing, not available in the PRC. A bit sloppy of their web people not to notice.
08-01-2015, 05:18 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Bit unfortunate that there aren't any more product images available showing the triggers from multiple angles. It would also be interesting to know what the controls / LEDs on the trigger are for.
Here ya go:

...Aaaand the photos show I've left one turned on. No auto-shutoff = dead eneloop AAAs.

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Is the 2.5mm for triggering the body?
No, it's for updating the firmware. The ECP/Flash port is the input port for updating the firmware from the USB port on a Windows machine (using a USB-to-COM software updater). A regular 2.5mm male-to-male can be used to trigger a shutter release from the "Camera" port to the body, and on the receiver from the "Flash" port to a strobe without a hotshoe connection.

Last edited by panoguy; 08-01-2015 at 05:57 AM.
08-01-2015, 11:25 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Here ya go:
Thanks!

Are the four LEDs channel indicators?

You mention an "override mode". How does that work? There do not seem to be any controls for that.

Are the bits at the front AF-assist lights?

What does ECP stand for?

Are you satisfied with the lifetime of the AAAs?
I was very happy when Cactus switched from AAA (V5) to AA (V6). While the AAAs worked for a shoot, the AAs provide much more capacity, allowing a much more relaxed approach to re-charging. Not to mention that it helps to be able to swap batteries between flashes and triggers. The big advantage of the AAAs is their size, but I really wouldn't want a trigger using AAAs again, after having enjoyed the AA experience.
08-06-2015, 07:48 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

The manual states
"TTL pass through:
Although not recommended. due to mounting up the flash and transmitter on a SLR made more unstable structure. User can do this for some cases. before using this. make sure the power of the
transmitter if off."

Seems counter productive I use pass through to allow P-ttl on camera as well as firing remote flashes why would you want to mount a p-ttl on a transmitter if it has to be off .?!!

Just a thought using these with Cactus v6 to enable P-ttl/ Cactus mixed without having anything but a Acon TX on camera.

i.e
Acon TX on camera
Acon RX with Cactus V6 mounted in Pass through P-ttl flash on top

But unless I can fire an on Camera P-ttl and remotes then $120 seem excessive for no real advantage over oakatec P-ttl triggers.
Though ease of use of these is nice.

---------- Post added 06-08-15 at 03:51 PM ----------

If the 50 hours posted in specs is true aaa will be fine.