Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 08:53 PM   #1

Pentax's Sorry Flash Unit

After getting the 645Z I bought an AF540FGZII Pentax flash unit. On 4 days notice I was asked to take pictures at my son in laws sister's wedding which was today. This was the first significant use for the flash excepting a few shots here and there.

In my opinion this flash should be an embarrassment to Pentax. As far as I know this is their best flash offered. The recharge time is miserably slow.

I also used my canon 5D with their flash. With the canon its - bang, bang, bang - as long as the batteries are relatively fresh their flash is right there with you.

As far as the Z being slow - for what I was doing the buffer is quite adequate - but the flash - grrr.

So much for my rant! I just had to express a little frustration. A magnificent camera needs a comparable flash unit.

Phil

08-29-2015, 09:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The original AF540FGZ has an option for an external 6 C cell battery pack. I don't know if that version fires faster with that pack but I would expect that it would. My guess is that they expect that camera to be paired more often with studio lights and flashes setup on wireless triggers and that it just was not expected that a high speed fire rate was needed.

That said, how slow, shot at what distance and zoom level on the flash?
08-29-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

What kind of batteries were you using? You get faster recycle times with NiMH (rechargeable) cells. Were you using the TR power pack? According to the review on the unit "Recycle Time: Approx. 4.5 seconds, but comments here on PF have indicated that "With 4 Sanyo Eneloop AA NiMH battery cells in the flash, and 6 cells (in adapters) in the power pack, you can get at least 250 full-power strobes, with the cycle time from 1 to 2.5 seconds."
08-29-2015, 10:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
I was using Duracell alkaline batteries. I think the flash was pretty well drained after most shots as I was using F11 most of the time to get good depth of field. Cycle time was several seconds. When I'm in the process of taking several shots; I don't want to have to bring the camera down and wait for the flash to recharge. Cycling time was slow even when the shots were at close range. For group shots I like to take several in a row to get a good picture since someone always seems to be distracted.

There must be a better flash available to pair with the Z. Is there a power pack available for this flash? I didn't think there was.

08-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PhilRich Quote
Is there a power pack available for this flash?
The previous model AF540FGZ offered support for both the power supply TR and 5P sync cable. These ports were shed on the Mk2.

The Mk2 has its strong points and in many ways a better flash, but in a couple of ways the predecessor is more versatile.

Steve
08-29-2015, 11:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm going to be the owner of a new AF-540II in two days ....I was looking forward to it! This is clearly one of the first things I'll check, although accepting that the issue could be something to do with the camera .... Perhaps on the K7 all will be fine?

In tests with the K7 and MK1 model, at low power levels (a close subject) I get around 2.5 - 3 frames per second in burst shooting with no loss of flash firing, which I was quite impressed with. This continues in RAW until the normal buffer limit of around 16 shots.

F11 plus any distance could add up though, in power required. Full discharge would take a few seconds normally, that's to be expected really without some kind of supercharged batteries. Did you make sure your flash head zoom was set properly? If it was too wide for the subject then its wasting power ... You may not have needed the entire frame filled with flash ... Longer zoom settings will increase effective flash power.

Lets hope its just these issues in configuration you were using, What Steve said in summary of the new flash is about the gist of most feedback on it .... It's reported to be better built and the controls are more logical in layout and design. Can you test some bursts with a wide aperture and something quite close, so we can assess if the flash is slowing the camera down .. In theory, like with my K7, you should get repeated frames not too far off from the cameras max rated FPS figure.

Last edited by mcgregni; 08-29-2015 at 11:49 PM.
08-29-2015, 11:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Were you shooting f/11 with the Canon?

08-30-2015, 12:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I was using Duracell alkaline batteries.
Why? You probably couldn't have made a worse battery choice for endurance and re-cycle times.

Eneloops Eneloops Eneloops. Buy 2 dozen of them (I like the Tropicals but also the black 2400 mAh Eneloops) and a Maha Powerex charger. Eneloops fire all of my flashes and they recycle very fast.
08-30-2015, 12:28 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
+1 for Eneloops.

I'll only use alkalines if I'm caught short somewhere and the store has nothing else.
08-30-2015, 12:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Could it be the same issue posted further down in this forum ...'AF-540FGZ Long Recycle Time' ... There wasn't a solution or outcome posted in that earlier thread. Lets hope its not a generic issue affecting all the units. The other member didn't say what settings were in use so it wasn't possible to gain an idea on power drain.

Last edited by mcgregni; 08-30-2015 at 12:55 AM.
08-30-2015, 01:10 AM   #11
sbc
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The version 2 has half the recycle time compared to version 1. But you have to use Ni-MH or low self discharge (Eneloop, ReCyko, etc) to get the full benefit of short recycle time.
08-30-2015, 01:16 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
the Pentax AF540FGZ is easily among the most powerful TTL capable Hotshoe flashes around, if you use it at 1/1 power all the time of course the recycle times are going to be long. Up the Iso, open your aperture up a bit. Even Nikon SB910s have issues with recycle times, and overheating...
08-30-2015, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

After getting the 645Z I bought an AF540FGZII Pentax flash unit. On 4 days notice I was asked to take pictures at my son in laws sister's wedding which was today. This was the first significant use for the flash excepting a few shots here and there.

In my opinion this flash should be an embarrassment to Pentax. As far as I know this is their best flash offered. The recharge time is miserably slow.

I also used my canon 5D with their flash. With the canon its - bang, bang, bang - as long as the batteries are relatively fresh their flash is right there with you.

As far as the Z being slow - for what I was doing the buffer is quite adequate - but the flash - grrr.

So much for my rant! I just had to express a little frustration. A magnificent camera needs a comparable flash unit.

Phil
Return your flash immediately it's obviously missing the instruction manual

Page 62 clearly states full recycle time for the flash with alkaline or lithium is 5sec but with NiMH is 3Sec.

This is not Pentax's fault but is because of the the internal resistance of the battery technologies limiting power and will be the same for ALL manufacturers you can't pull a quart from a pint pot

Recycle time are mainly related to battery delivery Vs GN of the flash.

You may want to return your Canon flash as well (I assume 580EXii)
Page 53 states

• Flash Recycling (with size-AA alkaline batteries)
Recycling time Normal Full flash: 5 sec.

I'd advise you read your camera manuals and get a good book on flash photography especially around GN and aperture as your issue is all about your technique and not related to the equipment your using.
08-30-2015, 02:28 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If really fast recycle time is important, than get an older 540 version 1 flash and get the add on battery pack. It isn't particularly pricey and it drops the recycle time to about a second.
08-30-2015, 03:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+4 for eneloops (got 4 guns so one vote each!). Not got the Pentax one but have 2x Metz 58AF1 guns, a 48AF1 and a Nikon SB26. They're a bit pants on alkaline for re-charge time but even when shooting at high powers and lots of wireless triggers, I've not had to wait for the recharge time in 95% of circumstances when using Eneloops. They still did 2-3 continuous shots when not on full power without a problem as well.