Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2015, 01:08 PM   #1

AF540FGZ Boot broke on the side =(

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I've been having issues with my AF540FGZ flash, it keeps falling off the boot. So I was doing some shooting this weekend and it fell off and hit the pavement and of course because it's places the side broke off. Thanks Pentax for making it plastic (It's my understand the new ones are metal...).

Is there a place where I can get a new bottom piece? I tried super gluing it, but it seems it may not work out

See picture below:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nexus 5  Photo 
08-31-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Oouch! I always understood the point of the plastic shoe was to make it break instead of the camera hotshoe, which might get pulled out. Far more expensive to replace. I think the idea is to replace the shutter shoe component base unit from the bottom of the flash, which unscrews. There must be a wired connection inside which is easy to reconnect to a new base unit. I think its a service centre job though .....
08-31-2015, 03:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It should be an easy fix if you can find the part. Kinda makes sense though like that pin on your lawnmower.
09-01-2015, 02:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UMDTERPS Quote
I've been having issues with my AF540FGZ flash, it keeps falling off the boot. So I was doing some shooting this weekend and it fell off and hit the pavement and of course because it's places the side broke off. Thanks Pentax for making it plastic (It's my understand the new ones are metal...).

Is there a place where I can get a new bottom piece? I tried super gluing it, but it seems it may not work out

See picture below:
Speak to your local Service department it and easy change

4 screws and a plug

this will give you the idea (and if your in USA you can order it here)

540fgz

09-01-2015, 03:15 AM   #5

Ricoh's policy is not to sell parts to end users or non-authorized repair places and seems quite adamant on enforcing this policy. Your only options are to send it to an authorized repair center or finding the part or a parts flash on eBay for a DIY repair. Some place that do repair work might fix it - if they can get parts. Try KEH.

Last one (plastic):
Pentax AF 540 FGZ P TTL Hot Shoe Mount Flash Hotshoe Foot Replacement Part New | eBay
09-01-2015, 06:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
Wow, that is steep for a small piece of plastic....
09-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Wow, that is steep for a small piece of plastic....
The supplier I listed above was cheaper than that ebay one.

maybe you missed it click on the 540fgz in my thread.

still not cheap but then its a sellers market

09-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
The supplier I listed above was cheaper than that ebay one.
If you factor in lowest shipping the difference is only $5.22 USD.
09-01-2015, 11:24 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you factor in lowest shipping the difference is only $5.22 USD.
And ??

That is cheaper !
09-02-2015, 07:06 AM   #10

Original Poster
I ended up buying the last one ebay, better then spending $300-400 on a new flash.
09-02-2015, 07:55 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
And ??

That is cheaper !
Any price will be cheaper if US camera is out of stock. I've ordered stuff from them off the website before that they told me was out of stock and no longer available. And it is a lot cheaper from the eBay seller (free shipping) if you pick some of other shipping options.from US camera.

And It appears the price difference didn't matter to the OP, making the whole argument moot.

I ended up buying the last one ebay, better then spending $300-400 on a new flash.