Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
09-04-2015, 10:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

AF360FGZll save setting

Hello to all.
I have a new AF360FGZ II - my first flash to learn. I could make it work in P-TTL and P-TTL W.
However, now I should be spending to tern how set it correctly for good lighting.

My question: How to save the set mode, as I have to set the mode to P-TTL W every time the flash is powered down?

Can the flash corrections or adjustments like flash strength to be made from the camera?

The manual search did not say how to save the flash settings or I just could not find it. The older flash AF360FGZ has mechanical switches and the settings stay.
Thank you,
Leo

Last edited by nucleon; 09-04-2015 at 11:03 PM.
09-05-2015, 01:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

There isn't any way to save mode settings on the flashguns once powered off ... It was the same on the older models as well. The Auto-power off will hold the settings though, so long as the power switch stays on. In wireless slave mode it takes an hour before auto-powering off. On-camera it's 3 minutes. You can disable that function in the new function menu.

You can save your camera flash settings, including mode and flash compensations, in the 'Memory' section of the custom menu (grab my guide to Pentax flash ...page 39). ... That can help a bit if you usually work wirelessly.

The new MII flashes have simplified this sort of thing ... The interface and controls are more intuitive and logical, so resetting things after power off doesn't take much really. I quite like the reassurance of going through the modes and checking it's all ready when starting each time....
09-05-2015, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Just to add, you asked about on-camera corrections ... Yes, in wireless P-TTL mode with the built-in flash used as the trigger, then flash compensations made on the camera will control the brightness of the off-camera slave flash. They will accumulate with and add to any flash-set compensation.

With a Master flash gun on the camera then the compensations need to be made on both flash units. I'm not actually sure about when the on-camera flash is in Control mode .. Logically we might expect then the camera compensation to apply again to the slave .... ? Have to test this.
09-05-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

My Metz AF50-1 saves it's settings, I hadn't used it for months with the batteries removed. The Yongnuo 560iii saves it's settings over a few days. The Pentax doesn't. The AF540FGZii has some settings it saves but not operation modes.

I was a bit frustrated with this when I got it, but in use it isn't a problem. I turn it on, hit mode once for manual mode, hit set and turn dial for power, set again. Or turn it on, his sync four times for hss. It works very well for what I need it for, a weatherproof flash unit.

And as mentioned above, not turning the switch off keeps the settings. It goes into sleep mode. Awakening the camera wakes up the flash, which doesn't work reliably with other manufacturer models.

Cycling the power is a handy way of resetting the unit to default.

All in all it has become my flash unit of choice.

09-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
There isn't any way to save mode settings on the flashguns once powered off ... It was the same on the older models as well. The Auto-power off will hold the settings though, so long as the power switch stays on. In wireless slave mode it takes an hour before auto-powering off. On-camera it's 3 minutes. You can disable that function in the new function menu.

You can save your camera flash settings, including mode and flash compensations, in the 'Memory' section of the custom menu (grab my guide to Pentax flash ...page 39). ... That can help a bit if you usually work wirelessly.

The new MII flashes have simplified this sort of thing ... The interface and controls are more intuitive and logical, so resetting things after power off doesn't take much really. I quite like the reassurance of going through the modes and checking it's all ready when starting each time....

Thank you for the quick reply!
It seems, that I may learn, which buttons to push to make flash functional :-), however the hard part would be to learn lighting. It seems to me after reading the spec (functionality) for METZ 58AF, that the Metz flashes are more functional than AF360, Does it make sense to return AF360 and purchase Metz assuming, that I would be successful in learning lighting?

Today and tomorrow will familiarize myself with AF360.

Your Pentax Guide is a very excellent material to learn the flash. I am sure that Pentax is happy to see this guide for their flashes published for free. I think that your next logical step in development is to create a video tutorial and offer it for sale in the similar manner as it done by David duChemin Crafts and Vision.

Link/address:
Craft & Vision

He offered publications in pdf format for a very low price, but sells thousands. You also may offer this video or written tutorial to post on his site as he invites authors/photographers related to different side of photography including lighting. There are several publications on his site related to lighting. I have purchased two one for $2.50 and another for $4.

Thank you for the help.
Leo
09-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

. You're very welcome. Unless you feel that the issue of modes re-setting is a major problem then I don't see reason to return the excellent Pentax flash. The Metz has more power , but so does the Pentax AF-540 FGZ ....

There's good reasons to choose the new Pentax flash units now. They are high quality in build and offer weather resistance to match up with a Pentax WR camera. I'm going to post a new thread soon highlighting some key differences to the previous models. In the meantime there's the excellent 'Staff Review' on this site which gives very good coverage and insight into what these new flash models offer ...

Great tips on money making for the guide ! I'll check it out. Truth is, it's a new thing for me and my main interest is on getting involvement on the forums and boosting understanding of the Pentax proprietary system ..... We're a small bunch of Pentaxians really, and I wouldn't want to restrict the distribution with a charge, not for now anyway. The guide will develop for sure and may morph into a bigger scope and even a printed format one day ..who knows, if the demand is there. I have to get far more people using Dedicated Pentax system flash first!!
09-05-2015, 10:15 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nucleon Quote
Thank you for the quick reply!
It seems, that I may learn, which buttons to push to make flash functional :-), however the hard part would be to learn lighting. It seems to me after reading the spec (functionality) for METZ 58AF, that the Metz flashes are more functional than AF360, Does it make sense to return AF360 and purchase Metz assuming, that I would be successful in learning lighting?

Today and tomorrow will familiarize myself with AF360.

Your Pentax Guide is a very excellent material to learn the flash. I am sure that Pentax is happy to see this guide for their flashes published for free. I think that your next logical step in development is to create a video tutorial and offer it for sale in the similar manner as it done by David duChemin Crafts and Vision.

Link/address:
Craft & Vision

He offered publications in pdf format for a very low price, but sells thousands. You also may offer this video or written tutorial to post on his site as he invites authors/photographers related to different side of photography including lighting. There are several publications on his site related to lighting. I have purchased two one for $2.50 and another for $4.

Thank you for the help.
Leo
I don't know about the Metz flashes but he AF360 II has the front LED which to me is extremely useful (replacing the bounce card and for video) for me.

09-05-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

As far as I know the newest Metz 64 model is the only one so far to have gone the same as the new Pentax's. It's an expensive unit and I haven't seen any Pentax user reports yet .... But there's a Staff review in the accessory section of this site.
09-05-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I don't know about the Metz flashes but he AF360 II has the front LED which to me is extremely useful (replacing the bounce card and for video) for me.
I need your help to understand the LED use to replace the bounce card. The bounce card redirects the main flash light, while the LED is just a source, however of much lesser power. How they can be equivalent?
Leo
09-05-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Are you referring to my comment? About the two being ' equivalent ? I mean that the actual light emitted to give catchlights is of an equivalent strength. What I've said about the LED power output is assumption for now, there's nothing documented about how it's power is set. But the reflected light from a plastic panel is always a fixed percentage of the total light output ... I'm guessing around 10-15 per-cent of the total, maybe? But the actual amount of light sent forwards varies depending on the main flash power.

My assumption is that the LED catchlight works on the same principle, a fixed percentage of the main flash ... Just enough, like the old panel, to give that small front-fill and catchlights. Presumably it' has to vary, as if it didn't then it would be too strong in some situations and too weak in others.
09-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nucleon Quote
I need your help to understand the LED use to replace the bounce card. The bounce card redirects the main flash light, while the LED is just a source, however of much lesser power. How they can be equivalent?
Leo

Sorry, I forgot that you were directing the question to me... any how, I think mcgregni has provided an even more detail answer(s) for you in his other thread (points 13, 14 and 15).
New AF-540FGZII WR - Key Impressions
09-16-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Sorry, I forgot that you were directing the question to me... any how, I think mcgregni has provided an even more detail answer(s) for you in his other thread (points 13, 14 and 15).
New AF-540FGZII WR - Key Impressions
Thank you!
I have read his detailed answer.