Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2015, 11:33 AM   #1

Thinking about new flash

After reading through The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison I came to conclusion to order this: Tumax DPT588AFZ Flash for Pentax

Am I doing throwing my 120 euros out of window? Yes I know recycling times are long and it can't work as wireless master but are there other issues?

I will also open up it and see if it is safe to use normal li-ion batteries effectively doubling power supply input voltage. And maybe manipulate faster HV cap charging. Why do I have to hack my toys?

11-26-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I listed some of these Tumaz models as fully Pentax compatible Dedicated System flashes in my Guide, because they are the only ones apart from some of the Metz models, and the Sigma '610 Super' model, that offer practically every feature as the Pentax AF-540FGZ. This one, the DPT588AFZ has HSS, and according to the Tumax product site, it does offer wireless 'master and slave' functioning, so it seems to have pretty much it all .... even has an accessory 'High Speed Charger', and a PC socket.

Its built to a budget, of course, but if the price is good for you then there's not too much to lose I'd say ....

Check out the full details here http://icorpandtumax.com/DPT5Series.html

I converted the currency on that online shop you linked to, and the price (for me) was £91.00, which is very cheap indeed for a Dedicated System flash with so many features. The next comparable product might be the Sigma '610 Super' model which is on Amazon Uk for £130 at present.

It only goes down to 1/32 power in Manual mode, which is a bit limiting for closer work ..... having said that I rarely use that low power myself, mostly I find I'm not going below 1/32nd with a softbox and umbrella, although I mostly use wireless P-TTL. Not sure what the P-TTL compensation range is on that Tumax .... ?

There is a newer 'top of range' Tumax model, the DPT786AFZ, which looks less budget and has nicer controls and an LCD ... I couldn't find it for sale online though .....

Last edited by mcgregni; 11-26-2015 at 12:47 PM.
11-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Good point. I'll mail to Poland and ask if they can get the charger. My plan is to buy bunch of them if one works nicely. They aren't cheap as yongnous but offer more features. Comparing with Youngnou 650IV and Tumax I wish I could send settings wireless to all group flashes but getting everything is impossible and Tumax has pTT L so it isn't really needed.
12-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #4

Original Poster
It didn't went as I expected. I had to ask Tumax where are their dealers. I ordered charger pack and flash from http://www.siolex.de They have shipped and I'm waiting to get flash and charger. But changing country helped and price was lower

12-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sounds like a deal! I agree that they seem to be hard to find. .... Amazon UK don't have the top model available, but I'll keep looking because it appears to be a very enticing prospect ....
12-15-2015, 06:26 AM   #6

Original Poster
I received the flash and charger today. Batteries are charging now. First impression for flash was light and plastic without batteries. With batteries it starts to feel credible. All buttons are smooth and feel good. Tilt and swivel don't feel precise but are usable. Reflector and diffuser don't come easily out. Diffuser is also just hanging in front of flash head and not aligned straight. Nothing keeps it locked to head and it might cause some trouble.

The charger is totally different beast. It is heavy. Made of 1 mm aluminium. Power button gives very good feedback. I thought battery wasn't connected and opened the door. It is locked with thumbscrew. Only problem with that is hard to get in right thread and the screw is very soft. So be careful.

Next I'll get the batteries charged and try how this works. So far so good. I'll write update when I get some test shots done.
12-15-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I guess its all what you might reasonably expect with such a budget ... they have to keep the costs down somewhere. The 'diffuser' you mention is a wide-angle panel I assume , only needed for the widest focal lengths, so you probably won't need it much.

The main thing is the performance in actual use! Fingers crossed that you enjoy working with it .... good buttons is always nice and makes it efficient to work with.

12-16-2015, 01:13 AM   #8

Original Poster
I haven't tested the diffuser, which is indeed for wide angle and I think I need to get more flashes if it goes to needing really wide angle.

Recycling times are horrible without charger. With charger it is instantaneous. 1.2s with 1/1 power. HSS, rear curtain and pTTL wireless slaving works. And light output is enough. Another difference between Yongnous is switchers don't whine. The switcher inside flash accelerates rather quickly beyond 20 kHz. With charger, there isn't any sound.

So if budget (230e 170£) isn't problem, I think this might be solution for cheap and versatile flash system.
12-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought an older Tumax and found it to be quite capable. I got mine for a steal off eBay. The big caveat with older models is that they used the same model numbers for different generations and making sure of features is hard. Also they don't seem to offer upgrades despite having a socket for it. Mine is my dads flash now.