Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-29-2015, 04:37 PM   #1
Forum Member

Flash and studio lighting question

Hi , I am looking to purchase a new flash for my K-50 and an affordable starter studio lighting set up kit. Any suggestions ?
Thanks
Kim

I apologize if this is posted twice didn't see it in the thread

11-29-2015, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you say flash do you mean hot shoe flash?

And when you say studio lighting, do you mean mono-lights?

Are you interested in doing PTTL with the flash or is all manual OK?

"Studio lighting" implies studio mono-light strobes or strobes and power packs. If that is what you are looking at those will be all manual. Which really is not an issue in the studio as once you have things dialed in nothing much has to change. I use a pair of Flashpoint mono-lights in the studio. These are the Adorama house brand. Something like this: Flashpoint 320M 150 Watt AC/DC Monolight Strobe FP-LF-M320

Then you will need radio triggers and light modifiers, either umbrellas or softboxes plus stands. Check the Adorama site they have a number of 'kits' that include all you need. There are lots of other choices and depending on your budget and needs you might want to look at them but I have been very happy with my Flashpoints. They get used 2 - 3 times a week and have performed flawlessly.

For triggers I use Cactus v5 though I would go with the Cactus v6 if I I was buying now.

For hot show flash, it depends on whether you want PTTL or not. If all manual is OK, then look at Cactus or Yongnuo or perhaps an older flash like a Nikon SB-26. If you need PTTL then the Pentax flashes are best bet, or Metz has nice flashes that will work.
12-01-2015, 02:35 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
When you say flash do you mean hot shoe flash?

And when you say studio lighting, do you mean mono-lights?

Are you interested in doing PTTL with the flash or is all manual OK?

"Studio lighting" implies studio mono-light strobes or strobes and power packs. If that is what you are looking at those will be all manual. Which really is not an issue in the studio as once you have things dialed in nothing much has to change. I use a pair of Flashpoint mono-lights in the studio. These are the Adorama house brand. Something like this: Flashpoint 320M 150 Watt AC/DC Monolight Strobe FP-LF-M320

Then you will need radio triggers and light modifiers, either umbrellas or softboxes plus stands. Check the Adorama site they have a number of 'kits' that include all you need. There are lots of other choices and depending on your budget and needs you might want to look at them but I have been very happy with my Flashpoints. They get used 2 - 3 times a week and have performed flawlessly.

For triggers I use Cactus v5 though I would go with the Cactus v6 if I I was buying now.

For hot show flash, it depends on whether you want PTTL or not. If all manual is OK, then look at Cactus or Yongnuo or perhaps an older flash like a Nikon SB-26. If you need PTTL then the Pentax flashes are best bet, or Metz has nice flashes that will work.
Hi Jatrax, Thanks for your response, Ok.... Im not sure when to even begin. I have the "free" flash that came with camera the Pentax Af-200FG. I am still in the learning phase. I took a couple of beginner classes and try to watch a lot of tutorials. AND Shoot alot. I have just recently been asked to do a few paid jobs from people who have seen my work on my FB page. A sweet 16 party and a 25th wedding Anniversary photo shoot. I get together with ppl that I met in my the first class. We have a professional photographer that gets together with us. If I ask about buying equipment he usually advises to buy better now instead of replacing later. But he is talking BIG BUCKS! Which I am not really in a position to do right now. I have done outdoor portrait shoots. So....What I am trying to achieve right now is to get a better quality flash that has tilt so I can bounce light and use as a wireless flash. And I would like to have some type of set up such as: umbrella/softbox with back drop and external flash to do portraits. Something just to get me started that doesn't cost a ton of money. I hope this helps with some of your questions. I also had the Yong Nuo recommended but from the research I did it seems that it wont communicate with the camera with the hot shoe, only wirelessly... I am so overwhelmed with the all the info I am getting as I try to research and make an educated decision. Hopefully I can get the advice I need here
Thank you in advance for any help you can offer
Kim
12-01-2015, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
An umbrella with stand is the cheapest way to start, Mikshyle. It tends to spread light a bit, but you can still find uses for it if/when you go to a more directional softbox (such as lower intensity fill from one side).

In a studio, HSS is not necessary, so you can combine a very cheap second hand manual flash with a pair of inexpensive radio transceivers, such as Cactus or Yongnuo.

That's how I did this one, a minimal setup I threw into the car and took on location at a cycling club meeting:

Last edited by clackers; 12-01-2015 at 05:29 PM.
12-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the helpful info! That's an awesome shot
12-01-2015, 08:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
I am looking to purchase a new flash for my K-50 and an affordable starter studio lighting set up kit. Any suggestions ?
You've got some great advice already, so let me just add that "affordable" most easily translates to a manual system.

There are shooters who are happy with spending considerably more money on system-dedicated equipment but AFAIC, they are not getting much for their money except convenient solutions for second-curtain flash and HSS (High-Speed Sync).

In my Cactus RF60 review, I've tried to point out why getting the flash off-camera is important and why many people believe manual flash power control is to be preferred, even when you have the option of automatic (P-TTL-based) flash power control.

The cheapest way to get a very flexible manual control flash setup is to use the simplest radio triggers possible and make all adjustments using flash controls. However, nowadays there are a number of options supporting remote flash power control, which is enormously quicker and much more fun compared to the "walk to all flashes" approach.

Yongnuo offers the cheapest remote control system and it is working fine for some. Personally, I'd recommend spending a bit more on the Cactus system because it
  1. has better reliability (the price advantage of the Yongnuo gear can quickly disappear once units start failing).
  2. has more features (e.g., delays for second-curtain sync simulation, HSS-sympathy approach, group cycling, absolute power mode, etc).
  3. has better usability (using the products is more efficient and more fun).
  4. has better compatibility to other brands (whereas the Yongnuo system is closed and even has compatibility issues within its own eco-system).
The comparison of the RF60 to its competition at its time of launch could need an update because some of the unknown aspects of the Yongnuo system, for instance, are now known, but many points still stand today.
12-02-2015, 04:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
You've got some great advice already, so let me just add that "affordable" most easily translates to a manual system.

There are shooters who are happy with spending considerably more money on system-dedicated equipment but AFAIC, they are not getting much for their money except convenient solutions for second-curtain flash and HSS (High-Speed Sync).

In my Cactus RF60 review, I've tried to point out why getting the flash off-camera is important and why many people believe manual flash power control is to be preferred, even when you have the option of automatic (P-TTL-based) flash power control.

The cheapest way to get a very flexible manual control flash setup is to use the simplest radio triggers possible and make all adjustments using flash controls. However, nowadays there are a number of options supporting remote flash power control, which is enormously quicker and much more fun compared to the "walk to all flashes" approach.

Yongnuo offers the cheapest remote control system and it is working fine for some. Personally, I'd recommend spending a bit more on the Cactus system because it
  1. has better reliability (the price advantage of the Yongnuo gear can quickly disappear once units start failing).
  2. has more features (e.g., delays for second-curtain sync simulation, HSS-sympathy approach, group cycling, absolute power mode, etc).
  3. has better usability (using the products is more efficient and more fun).
  4. has better compatibility to other brands (whereas the Yongnuo system is closed and even has compatibility issues within its own eco-system).
The comparison of the RF60 to its competition at its time of launch could need an update because some of the unknown aspects of the Yongnuo system, for instance, are now known, but many points still stand today.
I agree with ClassA the cactus system will cost you a little more (possibly see later) than others but will give you room to grow and not require scrap and start again if you change your shooting style (Ptt, mixed matrix etc etc)

You can get a 'cheap' cactus solution by the following

1 select any 2nd user ttl flashes that fit your need (power recycle time etc) you can pick these up for a few pounds from the normal source (2nd hand shop , online auction sites)
2 buy as many V6's as you need

you then just select the approiate flash make/model in the v6's and off you go.

12-02-2015, 06:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikshyle Quote
What I am trying to achieve right now is to get a better quality flash that has tilt so I can bounce light and use as a wireless flash. And I would like to have some type of set up such as: umbrella/softbox with back drop and external flash to do portraits. Something just to get me started that doesn't cost a ton of money. I hope this helps with some of your questions. I also had the Yong Nuo recommended but from the research I did it seems that it wont communicate with the camera with the hot shoe, only wirelessly...
My friend I think you need a little flash basic training course before you start spending money. Many here are glad to help, but at this point you do not even know what questions to ask. And 'flash' or lighting in general is not a simple thing where someone can say "do this" and it will work. It is very complex with a dazzling array of options. Even worse the terminology is not consistent, one persons strobe means speedlite, to another it means studio monolight.

Here is some reading that might help:
Camera Flash: Appearance
Flash photography basics: every common question answered | Digital Camera World
Strobist: Lighting 101

A few things to think about:
portable or studio - from you comments I think you are looking for an on camera flash, on the hot shoe, not studio strobes
on camera or off camera - on camera means it is mounted to the camera hot shoe. Off camera means the flash is elsewhere and needs to be controlled by one of several means
P-TTL or manual - P-TTL means Pentax through the lens, which means the camera meters and communicates with the flash telling it how much light to produce. Manual means the camera says fire and that is all. It is up to you to set the flash for the amount of light you want it to produce

Also, the Yougnuo does communicate with the camera, to the extend that the camera can fire the flash, it is just not a P-TTL flash. So you need to set the flash power manually.

As noted by others, the Cactus v6 system has a lot of nice features and a price point well below any P-TTL flash solution.