Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 12:24 PM   #1

Fast recycling flash for K5ii

I'm looking for a new flash to use both on and off camera with my K5ii.

Principle requirement is quick recycle time and low cost. Pttl isn't necessarily a priority, since it will mainly be used in controlled conditions and I have a sigma 530 DG ST for occasions where pttl is necessary.

So far I'm looking at the yongnuo 560 and the godox v850.

Does anyone have direct experience of either or both of these units, or any suggestions for others I should consider?

08-29-2016, 01:45 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you consider adding an external battery pack to the AF540FGZ or using multiple units to reduce flash recycle time or a combination of both?
08-29-2016, 02:04 PM   #3

Original Poster
The 540fgz would be the ultimate answer in Pentax flash world, but I think it's going to be outside my means for the time being. Thanks for the suggestion though!
08-29-2016, 02:10 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tekmongoose Quote
The 540fgz would be the ultimate answer in Pentax flash world, but I think it's going to be outside my means for the time being. Thanks for the suggestion though!
No worries. Other options might be to use multiple flash units like the AF280T all in low power mode. Those flashes are cheap and on low power recycle times are around 0.6s. But the path you are on is likely more practical.

08-29-2016, 02:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you want a fast recycling flash the Godox Ving 850s are great.

I have some and when compared to waiting around for an AA battery flash to recycle you will feel very pleased.

If you can get down below 1/1 power you can even shoot continuous flash shots which is kind if nice.

Also, down the track if you have the spare cash you can combine with a Cactus V6 II trigger and get them to do HSS.
08-29-2016, 03:10 PM   #6

Original Poster
That's why it's in contention, I like the whole "it's basically a flash with a built in power pack but without the bulk" thing.

I did find one review which said the yongnuo was a hair faster on fresh eneloops, but I understand the godox maintains its performance better throughout the charge.

On the yongnuo side, it's cheaper, and there seems to be some debate over the reliability of the godox.

Howeib101, you say you have several of the v850, what's your experience reliability wise?
08-29-2016, 03:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For those in Australia with the AF540FGZ and who want faster recycling, CRK still have the TR POWER PACK 3 FOR AF-540FGZ for A$130

08-29-2016, 11:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hi.

The flash itself is very robust and is very reliable.

Initial batches of batteries were poor and they suffered the consequences.

However, I believe quality control of the batteries is now under control but you better Google to confirm this.

Given that Adorama in the States is willing to stock Godox I wouldn't be too worried. In fact they sell rebranded Godox products.

If they were trash, I would not expect Adorama to stock them
08-30-2016, 03:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Cactus RF60 is another modestly priced option. It also has a radio transceiver built in so you can build a radio controlled flash system over time. I have an AF360FGZ and two Cactus RF60's. Since getting used to manual flash - the Cactus is the flash I pack when I'm only taking one with me. Recycle times are good. Because it's a higher power unit than the 360 - I can dial down the power and significantly reduce the recycle time. Any flash that you can dial the output down on while meeting your lighting needs - will have a short recycle time.