Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
Winners: Challenge #296 Triangles
Posted By: LarsW, 09-08-2014, 01:37 PM

Thanks to all 24 participants of Weekly Challenge #296 with the Theme Triangles.

Judging is also a challenge!
Well... how on earth to pick winners from all great images? And very subjective of course. Many of your images qualifies well to the theme "Abstract" from 2 weeks ago, as well as this weeks theme. Interesting background stories for some images, that's a plus.

The photos i picked speak to me mostly through composition.

3rd place: Catscradle - Eyes and nose
I've had cats before and know most cats don't like to pose for photos. This is great eye-contact ("damn paparazzo you found my secret hiding place!") and lucky alignment.

2nd place: atupdate - Watoto Children's Choir
Several triangles to find here, of course the clothes. And you can form a few triangles with the lines between the children's faces. And great action shot, you can almost here the choir from the photo only!

WINNER and challenge #297 organizer: tessfully - glass abstract

I like this very much! Difficult to put in words. Lovely colors and glow. The composition here is spot on. Kind of a spinning motion though it's a still image. Is it glass, is it ice? Bubbles? A drink? Questions that really need no answer.

Honorable Mentions:

itsahabit - Harthill Trig Point: Interesting background story about Triangulation points and the perfect timing for the crossing lines in the sky.

casil403 - abstract windows: Lovely b/w abstract

SpecialK - sailor ship: All these lines tells the story, you only need this portion to see what this is abuot. Strong composition!

Congratulations to tessfully!
Views: 1,863
09-08-2014, 09:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well... Mind to comment on my picture so that i can learn to improve it?
09-09-2014, 01:52 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well done Tess. You have continued to provide interesting photos with your images through ice. Is this one using that same technique?

Look forward to seeing what you come up with for the next week.

Well done to catscradle and Tim and the HMs and to LarsW for the comp.
09-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fantastic shot, agree with our judge, a lot there but difficult to put into words- which I suppose is what abstract is all about. Great shot so a hearty congratulations Tess, you're becoming a familiar face on the podium around here Congrats extended to catscradle and Atupdate for 2nd and 3rd spots and also to the HM's itsahabit, Casil403 and SpecialK. Another fine round of images in this challenges, making judging a difficult exercise, and a thank you to our judge LarsW, not just for the challenge, but also for the judging exercise, is in order. Now to see what Tess has in store for us.

09-09-2014, 04:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks so much Lars! I enjoyed your challenge which inspired awesome entries. Thanks for the nice comments and congrats to Catscradle and Tim, and the honourable mentions.

For those interested this is a pinwheel crystal candy bowl that I placed in front of my garden planter teaming with a mosaic of colourful annuals. The glass and flowers are backlit by the sun and I used a macro lens wide open. I also set the camera on manual and got some pretty funky oof abstracts. Yep, wasted a whole morning playing this way!
09-09-2014, 04:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
For those interested this is a pinwheel crystal candy bowl that I placed in front of my garden planter teaming with a mosaic of colourful annuals. The glass and flowers are backlit by the sun and I used a macro lens wide open. I also set the camera on manual and got some pretty funky oof abstracts. Yep, wasted a whole morning playing this way!
Oh sure, use the old macro-candy bowl-backlit flower trick. Is there nothing you won't do to win? :-) It is an amazing shot and it takes a special eye to see the potential in the first place. Well done Tess.

Thanks Lars for the second place (my favorite placement, as you don't have to judge the next one) honor. This ended up being a very interesting topic for viewing.

Tim
09-09-2014, 05:01 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Congrats to Tess on her winning the challenge and the others who placed at the top. Looking forward to the next challenge.--charliezap

09-09-2014, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
Well... Mind to comment on my picture so that i can learn to improve it?
Your Malaysia's hanging bridge is of course spot on this weeks theme. To my personal taste the 6 above mentioned are images I like much, their composition and colors etc came to my heart. Your picture could, in my opinion, gain from having more distinct foreground and background for more depth, but where on that location it's possible to find different angles can maybe set limits how to compose.

I'm sorry i wasn't able to comment to all images, like Arjay Bee excelently did last week.
09-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Well Done! Love it the moment I saw it!