Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
Weekly Challenge #301 "Night Lights" The Winners!
Posted By: elpolodiablo, 10-15-2014, 07:34 AM

I have to say some of the image from this week's challenge blew me away with different light sources and some really nice use of different weather conditions, deciding on a winner was hard but here it is, my pick of the top 3 entries are:

1 . The Winner - StephenHampshire

Simply stunning! Sharp, moody, intriguing background and the red work light gives red highlights that really catches your eye, and the street light catching the fog makes the image look so airy. My favourite! So there you are, @StephenHampshire you are the winner and please select a theme for next week's challenge!

Runner up - Caver

Twin Peak? Silent Hill? Very moody and mysterious!

Third place - MichalW

Star shot was nice, but the foggy one is a stunner, the fog was lit with different colours, looks unreal, and the reflection on the river is a nice touch too.

Honourable mention - zantaphia & SpecialK

zantaphia - This is not a usual perspective that we sees the skyscrapers of Shanghai(usually shots were taken from across the river), I especially love the way the cloud wrap around the tower on the right, the detail on the exterier of the tower in the middle is beautiful and you had the moon in the shot too!

SpecialK- Very nice contrast of style between the Observatory and the modern skyscrapers in the background, and I love the light from the row of window of the Observatory, draws your attention straight away. The people around the Observatory gives perspective as to the scale of the buildings too, love it!

As for other entries, here are my comments:

alamo5000 - Very colourful night scene, is that a tram station? Nicely done.

atupdate - Using the backlight to create a silhouette of the grasshopper is a beautiful idea!

Murfy - Interesting shot of a beautifully lit old building, unfortunately it still look badly compressed, maybe just link your shots from Flickr?

scomatic - A set of barely organised night lights, dizzying!

LarsW - A sky full of stars! Not something we city folks sees that often, love the farm house in the foreground too.

rbefly - Love the different interpretation of the night light theme, great atmosphere.

charliezap - My first thought was chemical warfare. lol Very surreal.

tessfully - Nice moon shot with CN Tower in the background, are those Christmas lights? Already lights up in October?

normhead - Lovely lovely lovely, spectacular colour on show here.

ramseybuckeye - Very atmospheric, the silhouette of the house and the trees created by backlighting are so eerie!

K David - Nice shot, hard to balance moonlight and the light from the building here.

mecrox - Ah the good old starbust from the SMC DA Limiteds, love them, alos the stillness of the water here.

Clou - Wonderful really, love the different shape of light and the line created by the lights, and those snow flakes!

sealonsf - Gotta love those old school European street lights, the shadow of passersby on the street is very intriguing.

Kendigitize - Nice comet shot(I assume), the foreground is nice, gives a sense of perspective.

spikey_korean - A lot of negative space here, nice, but I would like to see more detail in the buildings, zoom in a bit would be nice.

MacLo - Intriguing scene, the bright shop from in the centre of the frame contains all the detail, contrast to the darkness around, and the reflection on the wet ground is a nice touch too.

arnold - Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr looks cold, DO. NOT. WANT, I can feel the chill here.

Livingstudio - Lovely detail in the tower clock, a spike that penetrate the darkness.

AlexM - A very dreamy feel to it, nice twist of a very futurist looking building, trail light from passing car is a nice touch too.

dtmateojr - Nice shot of Brisvegas skyline at night, star burst on the bridge is a highlight.

Han - Beautiful bridge shot, the colour in the sky and lights on the bridge look so nice.

LucaK10 - Very creative, and the colours come out very nicely againts a dark background.

lukulele - Nice moonlit scene, is that cloud bank or mountains in the background?

Dieterson - Nice use of reflection here, the repeating elements are very nice indeed.

68wSteve - Now that's not a perspective that you see everyday, your framing is excellent, the way the pillar and the bridge intercept in the centre. Love it.

pearsaab - Colourful and festive, another example of using reflection for night light, maybe there's a theme going on here lol

Jessesdad - Lovely shot of the kids enjoying Xmas light at night, completely different perspective from others, nice.

Rashedul - Great interpretation of the Night Light theme, we have the moonlight hiding behind the cloud, the city illuminated in the fog(I am guessing?), and a nice star burst from a street light on the right.

reeftool - Ah the SMC DA 15 Limited star burst against blue hour sky, start burst from the car headlights,and the reflection of street night on the motorbikes are very nice too.

Bill2849 - Quite an unorthodox way of taking night shots(hand held f8 & 3sec) but the result is still interesting.

scomatic - An explosion of colour, nice but I want to see the whole burst

noelcmn - Nice arrangement of starbust, the colour is very unusual, was it really like that?

Polestar - Nice entry of a highway at night, the winding side road on the left is nice, and the sky is stunning too!

Last edited by elpolodiablo; 10-15-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Views: 3,792
10-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My congratulations to StephenHampshire! A great shot, with lots of atmosphere.
elpolodiablo, you did a good work commenting on so many great photos!
And last, thank you very much for the honourable mention! 😀
10-15-2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Agree with the winner - fabulous shot. Congrats StephenHampshire and the runners up - lots of beautiful photos.
10-15-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, agree with choice of winner-what a super shot! Congrats Stephen, and extended to Caver and MichalW. ANd the HM's Zantaphia and SpecialK. Beautiful comp this one- so thanks Elpolodiablo-great job on judging with so many entries.

10-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First of all, I agree 100% about the winner, when I first saw the photo I was almost sure about it. Great shoot!
Congratulations StephenHampshire and good luck on hosting the next week's challenge.

Taking in consideration all of those very nice entries especially MichalW's splendid photo I'm honored to be the runner up - thank you.
And yes, when I shot and processed my photo I thought about Twin Peaks, and the mood of that series

Congratulations to all of the participants! - Thank you Elpolodiablo for hosting this challenge, nice work!

Last edited by Caver; 10-15-2014 at 12:43 PM. Reason: +info
10-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Thanks for commenting on them all - the toughest part.
10-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stephen, I thought that was the winner as soon as I saw it. Well done, I probably wouldn't even have submitted one had I saw your beautiful photo first. Lots of other good entries too!

10-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you Elpolodiablo for hosting and I was quite surprised to win because there were s many great images submitted!

Thanks also for the kind comment above.....see my new thread for this week's challenge!

Stephen
10-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Congratulations again StephenHampshire for winning, great shot indeed, I would like to apologise to several of the competitors as comments on their entries somehow got left out in the original post, I guess 1AM and post composing doesn't mix well....OP has been updated, should include comments on all 39 entries now. 39 entries, WOW!
10-15-2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

All is forgiven for not critiquing my submission to your challenge. lol:-charliezap
10-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

No surprise for all the winner there... Your photo is awesome... whereby I find no clue on how to fight with yours... that why... trying something that's not ordinary of night light... but failed... lolzzz....
10-15-2014, 08:25 PM   #12
Forum Member

Congratulations to the winner. Totally agree with the selection and the honourable mentions. The entries were amazing and quite inspirational. I love posts like these because it makes me want to go take more pictures. Thank you to the host for commenting on all the entries and providing some great feedback. Yes the city was a bit foggy in the shot.
10-16-2014, 12:27 AM   #13

Thanks for the comment on my photo! is the first time that I participate in the weekly challenge and will continue to participate now!

Thanks!
LucaK10
10-16-2014, 02:29 AM   #14

First of all, congratulations to StephenHampshire, a stunning photo indeed!

And a really big thank you to elpolodiablo, for commenting on 39(!) competition entries (and especially the nice comment on my picture). Well, I guess it's your own fault when you select such a popular topic
10-16-2014, 03:10 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congratulations!

Congratulations to all the winners and this theme certainly produced many high-quality images!
Thanks to elpolodiablo for the comments,
Ron