Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
WINNERS: Weekly challenge #318 - Photos Inspired by Song Lyrics
Posted By: tessfully, 03-19-2015, 11:49 AM

Well, I must say I thoroughly enjoyed the entries this week. I love music as much as photography, and seeing the two put together was quite inspirational. I honestly feel that there are many winners, and some of them got left off at the end. But that is the problem with competitions like this, the host always has to pick no matter how badly she doesn’t want to.

Thanks to all for playing along.

Tim/atupdate, Up, Up and Away, a happy upbeat tune that put a skip in step and a smile in my heart. Dig the orange pants and groovy white patent leather shoes! Also, love the symmetry and colours of your image.

Charlie – Surfin’ USA – Another toe tapping can’t stop wiggling kind of song I enjoyed revisiting. Your composite image is so well done, each frame a lyric moving the narrative forward, up, over and back to shore, only to be coaxed out to sea again.

Tamia – Summer is Over - stirring richness and syncopation of Dusty Springfield’s voice compliments the rich colour, drama and tension in your fall image. Lovely in all ways.

SpecialK – Learning to Fly – In my youth I was a rabid Pink Floyd fan and still follow Gilmour’s career. It was great to see this powerful video set against the backdrop of the song and your stunning image. The whole presentation was synergistic and awesome to experience.

Simon – Heart of Sunrise – This is a thoughtful, layered and artfully presented submission. Excellent skill photographing the record as it spins. I love that it is the actual vinyl recording of the ‘you tube’ version I am listening to. Nicely imagined and conceived!

Bill – I don’t want to set the world on fire - Wow, that link appears to be to the original Ink Spots. Lovely ballad! And the photo is a great addition to the song; round in shape, it is as if the flame is melting the earth before my eyes, and I love the negative space it floats within. Nicely done!

Dieterson – Illusion - Powerful …deeply emotional Image… well seen and captured. The song just makes this photo even sadder, and the lyric fits perfectly within this (used?) clothing shop. The image carries itself with or without the song. Broken.

KMcCall – Never Going Back – (I wonder who Lindsey is singing about? ☺) This is an awesome portrait and song that compliment each other perfectly. I have always found your work encouraging and this is no exception. Just love that you used songs as direct inspiration. Inspiring artful result.

KDavid – Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Theme Song – I was raising my son during the hay day of these Ninja’s and sat through every film and cartoon many times. I love your photo. The heart of the turtle can be found in its gaze. Wonderful portrait … (not sure the heart of the song matches though)!

Matt – Fire and Ice – Absolutely stunning image. Stunning colour and reflections in the sky and on the ice. Not sure about that song… (like David’s Ninja Turtle song) it has the perfect title, but I find the image sultry and moody and the song upbeat and fun. But it worked for you and you are the artist, so don’t mind my critique.

Jcdoss - Bricks in the Wall – Not an easy shot and you pulled it off perfectly. It matches the lyrics, which I find evocative. I especially like the last two lines:
All in all it was all just bricks in the wall.
All in all you were all just bricks in the wall.

Noel – I can see clearly now the rain is gone – That is definitely one of those recognized songs that get stuck in my head and I didn’t need a video for the melody. Wonderful image of elephants in the river. They are really enjoying the sunshiny blue sky day. Love seeing that environment.

Hattifnatt – Blown Minded - This is a band and song I have not heard of so thank you for the introduction. Awesome video, great beat and lyrics. The video is amazing, and so is your image. There is so much in that photo. Love the light painting on top of the misty landscape and reflections. Really truly enjoyed the whole experience.

Arnold – Chariots of Fire – Wow… what a superb photo to rehabilitate. I love everything about it… the monochromatic colour, the essence of film, the subject itself. The dog giving chase adds enormously to the viewing pleasure. Nice work indeed!!

Sealonsf – Vincent – This is another layered and thoughtful submission. The photo is poignant in and of itself, but the added story and song make it even more emotive. I have seen that video before and was really happy to revisit. I can’t objectively look at the photo now without the story and song influencing my perception.

Like I said earlier, so many winners here. In the end the images that spoke loudest to me seem to truly have a voice that told a story, which was complicated further by the lyric and/or song. So it really isn’t just about the photo submitted. I can hardly choose between these:

It comes down to…

First place and next weeks host:
Dieterson

Second Place -
K McCall

Third Place -

Arnold

Honourable mentions to specialK, sealonsf and Hattifnatt for inspiring work.
Views: 1,501
03-19-2015, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a cracking image that is Dieterson. As Tess noted, no need for music on that one, though the song and the image fit perfectly together. CONGRATULATIONS,a worthy winner imho. Congrats extended to K Mcall and Arnold-another two cracking images. And of course the HM's SpecialK, Sealonsf and Hattifnatt. Thanks Tess for a wonderful inspiring challenge that brought out some beauties. Now to get the music out of my head.
03-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent submissions by all, and thank you Tess for your fine involved judging.
03-19-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Dieterson, an evocative image and song to go with it. Congratulations also to Keitha and Arnold for your stirring entries, and to Kyle, Sealonsf, and Hattifnatt for your honourable mentions. All of them well deserved, indeed. As always, Tess, your theme and thoughtful judging combined with a sharp eye (and ear!) are much appreciated. Thanks!

03-19-2015, 06:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Tess, I did not envy you your task! There was so much great work submitted, and I am honored to be mentioned. This was a really fun challenge, and I particularly enjoyed getting exposed to so much new music! Thank you for hosting and judging this, Tess, and congratulations to Dieterson and Arnold. Well-deserved!
03-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for taking the time to comment on them all, and the HM.
03-20-2015, 08:57 AM   #7

Wow, thank you very much, I feel honored!

Congratulations to my fellow winners K McCall and Arnold, as well as specialK, sealonsf and Hattifnatt for their honourable mentions.

Thank you Tess for this great challenge. I really enjoyed going through my music and searching for pictures. That alone was worth participating! As for the picture: it is not a second hand shop. It is a shop in a small 1960's mall somewhere in the outskirts of Vienna. It is a rather poor neighbourhood, the mall is slowly decaying, and even the clothes in this shop seemed to went out of date several decades ago. The weather was cold and wet, and an old lady came to me accusing me of being a robber because I took pictures... So, perfect day for depressing-mood-photography

Expect the next challenge to be posted in a couple of hours!

03-20-2015, 05:15 PM   #8

The new challenge is >here<
03-21-2015, 03:47 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Today I took my time listened to all the songs submitted while watching the pictures. What a great challenge! Congratulations everybody.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Love the light painting on top of the misty landscape and reflections.
Don't know if this goes for light painting, I was actually moving the camera in an "8" pattern while there were two lights plus their reflections in the water.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
This is a band and song I have not heard of so thank you for the introduction.
Actually my secret masterplan behind this challenge was to introduce you to this band
03-21-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Congrats to all the winners and to Tess for a fine job of judging.----charliezap