Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS: Project 52-7-11-Ideas-Reflection
Posted By: scomatic, 03-26-2015, 02:45 AM

Hi all,
sorry for waiting long... as per said, I'm super busy on this week...

Thanks for spend time to participate, and sorry for the result I make it short ya...

TimPGH - Lovely color + background... I love the part of blur, leading line and the reflection of the image... Nice job~!

Tamia - Nice shot with nice reflection of light... But the picture didn't talk to me...

Bill2849 - Am I watching the upside down picture? Well meet the theme of this week, but a bit bluish... 18-55mm kit len, the best performance is at 24-50mm. I wonder 55mm make it bluish...

tessfully - It is adorable dog~! What dog is that husky? Nice, but not meet the theme...

Saltwater Image - WOW!!! What lens you using? Superb sharp~! Lovely lovely~! The star burst and reflection in the river is superb..

mtux - Another super sharp image~! Greatly snap... I love almost every aspect... nothing to comment...

Dieterson - A predator? Great ideas of reflection... Never think of it...

Helena - Lovely sunset picture, if this in sunset theme it might be 1 of winner here... but doesn't meet the theme...

Noelcmn - u purposely shooting this? Ermm... your car? It is a well reliable and cheap to maintenance car~ OOpps... Back to topic, overall is ok... But hope you can snap the more interesting picture... I know u can do it..

mattb123 - Wow... The landscape is superb + the reflection = dominated! Great job!

Now the standing:
3rd place: TimPGH & Helena
2nd place: Saltwater Images & Mtux (Because I really dunno how to choose between this 2 picture)

1st place: mattb123

Please feel free to comment ya..

Last edited by scomatic; 03-26-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Views: 2,560
03-26-2015, 04:47 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats Matt ... a super beautiful image. Schematic, thank you for commenting and judging. I always love reflection photos. btw, The reflection of the forest and sky in his Tripper Dawgs eyes. Subtle, but there.

Loved all the interpretations this week. (P.S. Isn't 2nd place to judge if 1st can't.?)
03-26-2015, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, a winning image by all accounts, touching the soul somehow. Wish I could be there. Congrats Matt-your landscapes are just awesome. Congrats too Saltwater Images, Mtux and TimPGH. Super shots again in this weeks Project 52- keep it up. And I thought Tess's image had it in the bag, with that wonderful reflections in Trippers eyes. Thanks Scomatic, for taking time out of your busy schedule to judge this one- hope you have an easier week ahead. Now to get in on the action
03-26-2015, 06:22 AM - 4 Likes   #4

Photos: Gallery
Doesn't meet the theme? It's the same as the example you gave "Inception in New York" - the sunset light reflected in a window! Have you at least read what I wrote about it? Did you even notice that, as the glasses aren't completely parallel, the reflected image is repeated in one of those? Can't you see there's a curtain and it's valency behind the window? Could I shoot this from the inside? It had to be a big room!
This is just a challenge, not a contest, I enter it for fun and to learn something, and I always do. As I said before, it is quite addictive. Every week I think I won't be able to shoot anything that meets the theme, but as the week passes I start thinking of something and then develop the ideia, and finnaly I find myself standing up on the top of some wall to get what I've been idealizing.
I wasn't expecting some podium place, and surely not a first place - as I say in the post of my entrance, I didn't get what I wanted and I don't think this photography is worth of anything, at least with respect to technique. But I expected a fair judgement. Maybe you shoud take into account that it takes more time to judge than to shoot one photography and if you couldn't take time to participate this week, you probably would have no time to judge properly.
I'm not angry, just a bit disappointed. I'll stay around, anyway... I guess I'll regain the enthusiasm...

03-26-2015, 06:52 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congratulations to Matt for a photo very much deserving the win; and to Saltwater Images, Mtux, and TimPGH for your photos as well - all truly deserving of honors as well. I did think that Helena's photo would do better. The reflected image of the outdoor sunset in the window was a clever and beautiful response to the challenge. I also thought highly of Tess' photo as well. Thank you Scomatic for your comments and judging. I believe the bluish cast may have been a result of a white balance not being set for the early morning overcast light (and to my failure to catch this in post-processing). I was aware that something seemed to be not quite right and you have helped identify at least part of the problem (although there may have been a problem with condensation that contributed to this problem as well).

Hope to find some good action shots over the coming week (although at my age I don't see as much action as I used to).
03-26-2015, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Congrats Matt, you can never go wrong with a beautiful sunset photo, and yours never disappoint! Also congrats to TimPGH and Saltwater for some worthy shots.

QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
Helena - Lovely sunset picture, if this in sunset theme it might be 1 of winner here... but doesn't meet the theme...
To me, Helena's photo was one of the winners BTW! And I like it when someone doesn't take the theme straightforward and think and find a different interpretation!

And I'm still not convinced about the idea of changing judge! specially when the judge hadn't any issue in judging! if someone don't have time to shoot, no problem, don't shoot! it doesn't hurt anyone! does it?
03-26-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow, thanks! I was fortunate to catch that light. The water on the rise made for this nice pool before the creek narrows and it just all came together that evening.
Lots of other nice images here as well so good job to everyone!
I guess I need to get busy and come up with a theme!

03-26-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I guess I need to get busy and come up with a theme!

Not so. In the Project 52 photo events the weekly theme is set by the moderator (in this case, Scomatic). This next week's theme is Action. You can find the thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/291471-projec...as-action.html

However, as winner of this past week's challenge, you will be the judge for this next week's event.

Cheers!
03-26-2015, 12:07 PM - 5 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The photos in this P52 were all a pleasure to see, and I enjoyed going back to them several times to see each person's interpretations of the theme. Congratulations Matt for a worthy win. Beautiful colors and sharpness there. Congratulations to Saltwater Images and Mehrdad/Mtux and TimPGH, too, for your very appealing shots. Thanks for judging and commenting, Scomatic. I know you've been very busy this week, and it can't have made your life easier to do the judging.

Tess, I really liked Tripper Dawg's photo. The reflections in his lovely eyes were super, almost as if you were seeing right through to the soul, as if the dog is reflecting a part of the land which is home.

Helena, your photo was one of my favorites, especially given how you had to shoot that photo while balancing on a knife edge (), and it certainly a relevant entry in this week's contest. I think that it shares some of the same feeling as Tess' photo of her dog's eyes reflecting the surroundings. Yours ties the building to the landscape, an organic whole. I do hope you'll continue to participate in the P52 challenges. It's wonderful to see what photos you bring to the forum from your part of the world.

Some Thoughts on the Project 52 Challenges

Because we have to shoot the theme in the stipulated time frame, it's made more difficult, which adds to the challenge and provokes creativity. So I think that in some respects the P52 challenge is tougher than the Weekly Contest, when we can go through our archives for just the right image to suit the theme. These are generally the photos we can shoot in our normal day to day lives, not pictures we take on vacations to extraordinary places. So I think that makes the images for P52 even more impressive, in a way, because they're shot under more restrictive conditions.

Similarly, the P52 challenge in some ways demands a bit more from the judge, an opportunity to stretch his or her own abilities, because in most cases the judge didn't choose the theme of the week and might not have a familiarity or experience of the theme. That makes judging a learning experience as well, since it requires trying to see how that photographer saw the image, and what it was they were trying to convey.

Overall, then, the P52 challenges are a great learning experience for all who participate, whether as the photographer or the judge.
03-26-2015, 01:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill2849 Quote
Not so. In the Project 52 photo events the weekly theme is set by the moderator (in this case, Scomatic). This next week's theme is Action. You can find the thread here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/129-weekly-photo-challenges/291471-projec...as-action.html

However, as winner of this past week's challenge, you will be the judge for this next week's event.

Cheers!
Oh thanks for the clarification. I knew I had some kind responsibility!
03-26-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
Forum Member

Congrats Matt, you had my vote as soon as you posted. I love sunset photos.

And I really appreciate 3rd place, really means a lot. Thanks for all the kind words.
03-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #12

Congratulations first of all to Matt and of course to Saltwater Images, Mtux, and TimPGH as well. Great photos!

Of course there are reflections in both Tess' and Helena's photo. Subtle maybe, but beautiful. One might not notice the reflection at a first glance, but that makes the second look even more interesting and enjoyable. I for sure enjoyed both photos
03-26-2015, 06:56 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Helena Quote
Doesn't meet the theme? It's the same as the example you gave "Inception in New York" - the sunset light reflected in a window! Have you at least read what I wrote about it? Did you even notice that, as the glasses aren't completely parallel, the reflected image is repeated in one of those? Can't you see there's a curtain and it's valency behind the window? Could I shoot this from the inside? It had to be a big room!
This is just a challenge, not a contest, I enter it for fun and to learn something, and I always do. As I said before, it is quite addictive. Every week I think I won't be able to shoot anything that meets the theme, but as the week passes I start thinking of something and then develop the ideia, and finnaly I find myself standing up on the top of some wall to get what I've been idealizing.
I wasn't expecting some podium place, and surely not a first place - as I say in the post of my entrance, I didn't get what I wanted and I don't think this photography is worth of anything, at least with respect to technique. But I expected a fair judgement. Maybe you shoud take into account that it takes more time to judge than to shoot one photography and if you couldn't take time to participate this week, you probably would have no time to judge properly.
I'm not angry, just a bit disappointed. I'll stay around, anyway... I guess I'll regain the enthusiasm...

Helena... After your statement, and I look it seriously...
I'm sincere apologize on my judgement, because every photo I only got 10 sec to impress.. Now I realize there is reflection of sunset... I'm overlook the message you wrote there too..

Your photo should in podium place... Sorry for miss judge

---------- Post added 03-27-15 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
And I'm still not convinced about the idea of changing judge! specially when the judge hadn't any issue in judging! if someone don't have time to shoot, no problem, don't shoot! it doesn't hurt anyone! does it?

I'm sorry... I feel Noel is very keen to participate this week challenge, and while I'm seriously not free for the week... So just feeling not wasting a chance, and let him enter... and this is agreed by both party...

Btw... I as facilitator for the event.. I will show my example to all, as all challenge must participate.. this is my concept.. sorry if feel not convinced...

---------- Post added 03-27-15 at 10:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by noelcmn Quote
Yes, a winning image by all accounts, touching the soul somehow. Wish I could be there. Congrats Matt-your landscapes are just awesome. Congrats too Saltwater Images, Mtux and TimPGH. Super shots again in this weeks Project 52- keep it up. And I thought Tess's image had it in the bag, with that wonderful reflections in Trippers eyes. Thanks Scomatic, for taking time out of your busy schedule to judge this one- hope you have an easier week ahead. Now to get in on the action
thanks for concern... I still will not get easy until end of April as our national is implementing the VAT, and my role is strategy planner, price changing, module changing... and etc..

Tess image i was putting in account too, but the rest participate is well better than Tess... Sorry this is my opinion, and different people might have different choice...

---------- Post added 03-27-15 at 10:14 AM ----------

As promised... Every week must have 1 picture to participate as well...
This week my photo is:

Anyone please feel free to judge ya..
03-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tho I did not get a chance to capture something for this weeks challenge. I did enjoy each and everyone of the entries..
Congratulations to Matt and all the other Podium finishes. Good job everyone.
03-26-2015, 11:11 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that photo Scomatic, but the color is a bit too intense, maybe play around with it on the color scales. That haze could do with a bit of darkening. Personally would probably have taken the shot at a different angle, to minimize the direct sun. Still a lovely photo! Best wishes for your busy schedule.