Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
1 Like  #1
WINNERS: 52-7-12-Ideas-Action
Posted By: mattb123, 04-01-2015, 02:57 PM

Ok, sorry for the delay! Nice entries everyone, I know it's not easy to have to take the shot the same week instead of digging through your archives, but I think that makes this fun!

Without further adieu, I'm happy to report the winner is tessfully! Nice job!

I like the movement in this. It really looks like the bird is flapping, maybe to brush the snow off.
The DOF is perfect for this kind of shot. The birds eye is sharp and the bokeh looks really nice. Composition is good too (rule of thirds, subject coming into the frame).
What I think could be better is maybe more action from the bird, like being in mid-takeoff with wings fully spread. Not much else to find wrong (and even then not all that wrong) with this image. I like it.

Second place is normhead
Third is Bill2849

Great job everyone!
Here are my comments on the rest of the photos:

normhead:
Nice shot of that camp robber (right?). I've lost cheese to them before myself!
I really like the frozen action and extended wings. They are frozen sharp but motion is still conveyed. The cheese is a nice touch too.
My criticism would be the busy background and the DOF being a little too deep for good separation from the branches. The twig coming from it's head is a little distracting.

mtux
This looks like an interesting performance! I like the action and fire but I wish you were closer and/or facing her. Action is certainly conveyed, so that is good.
On the negative side, maybe too much motion blur on her which I realize was probably the result of trying to get the fire motion. That's a good reason I think but I want more fire to keep the viewer's attention.

Tamia:
Ice and water are favorite subjects of mine. I like the lines from the upper corners, it seems like you were thoughtful with their placement. Action is definitely being portrayed where the water is a little blurred. It's got some movement and it's well exposed which isn't always easy with snow.
On the downside I find there isn't a clear focal point to the image leaving my eyes to wander aimlessly. I'd also like to see a slower shutter speed of this with a little more blur. That could still illustrate the motion while giving the water a nicer cleaner look.

Saltwater Images
Wow, looks like you overcame adversity to get a shot at all! The action is frozen and you captured that expression well.
As for negatives, the challenges you faced are evident. Harsh yet still weak overhead light doesn't help. I also wonder if this shot is just a little late. It's just after the action which I can assume was a punch. It seems like the punch would seem more "actiony". A square crop might help too, lots of open space on the right.

Bill2849
That's a pretty neat image. I like the creativity and I like that it's still a pretty discernible scene. There is a lot of movement happening and some apparent background action adding to the buzz. I think long exposure can express this kind of action well.
As for a criticism, the subject which I assume is the bus gets a little lost in all the action. It's tough to make out exactly what I was looking at at first.

noelcmn
That's a pretty good pigeon shot. I like the diving posture and the shape of its wings. The focused eyes and ready claws put it in a very non-pigeon like pose to me. Kind of unexpected. The tight crop works and accentuates the bird's shape. There is some bokeh adding separation of the subject.
On the down side the background is kind of busy. The bokeh helps, but it is still distracting. The wing tips are a little blurry from motion, which in theory is ok, but I think this would be better all crisp.

patrick9
Hmmm. I do like the shadow line coming from the corner, but this shot doesn't really make the cut. Perhaps if you had taunted the goose a little more and it charged you, it would have resulted in some good action!

scomatic
Beautiful raptor! The composition is good and I like it's position with the wings spread.
The negatives are the busy background and that it's slightly blurry (can't tell if it's focus or movement).

Saltwater Images:
I think I like this one better than the first. The composition is stronger and the background is better. There is also more action.
It would be better if there was less motion blur and again, it seems like this is just after the punch. I'd love to see one like this but with the glove connecting with opponent.

Helena:
That's a nice burst of color and I like the line from the corner of the frame. The plain background is nice for isolating your subject.
Unfortunately if you had not said so I wouldn't have identified it as a butterfly. I think a faster shutter speed would have worked better to freeze all the action or at least freeze enough to make the butterfly look like a butterfly.

Last edited by mattb123; 04-03-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Correction on third place. Sorry!
Views: 1,342
04-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the comments and judging this week Matt.
I was sure I had a lock on last place. So thanks for the podium position
Congratulations Tess on the win and Norm for second.
04-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job, Tess. I love that chickadee shot. Very hard to capture those little guys in any position but entirely blurred -- bravo. Contrats to Norm and Bill -- good shots both. Thanks for judging, Matt, and for your critiques, too. I've been trying to decide for myself what the best strategy is for photographing moving water, and your comments are a big help.

Last edited by Tamia; 04-02-2015 at 06:15 AM.
04-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

mattb: I'm using long lens Cosina 200mm that why the background is still busy... haha... anyway.. thanks for comment...

congrate to Tessfully, Patrick, and normhead, you photo is well captured! Great~

04-01-2015, 08:45 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
Thanks for the comments and judging this week Matt.
I was sure I had a lock on last place. So thanks for the podium position
Congratulations Tess on the win and Norm for second.
Whoops, I'm sorry to say I made an error and you didn't really get the podium spot. Probably less of a surprise.
Please accept my apologies!

The real third place winner is Bill2849
04-02-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That's a stunning action shot Tess. congrats.
also congrats to Norm and Bill.
Thanks Matt for taking the time to judge and leave comments. Yes, I chose the shutter speed to have a longer fire trail, and it was a rainy evening, so the light was a real issue that I had to open the aperture.
BTW, I was happy about not not facing her straightly because in that case it wouldn't look as sharp as her hair here.
04-02-2015, 12:38 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Worthy winner Tess, small birds are a bane to capture, well done on that score-lovely and sharp. Congrats too to Normhead and Bill3849, and Patrick9 . Thanks Matt for the excellent judging and comments-very helpful. Lovely entries again-I'm really enjoying the round of Project 52. Now to find some funny faces. Are selfies allowed Scomatic?

04-02-2015, 04:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No Problem. Since I didn't think I belonged there this week anyway. Congratulations Bill
04-02-2015, 04:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you so much Matt! First, for taking the time to share your insights into each photo, and for the honour of first. I am very surprised as I thought some of the others more dynamic, but I am also happy as I took 270 shots of the chickadees fluttering about, diving into the snow for seeds, arguing with one another in the air, and this in the only one that turned out with the eye and head in focus and wings in the process of taking off. That is 1/270! I am out of practice.

Congrats to Norman and Bill on fine shots and sharing the podium. Good work everyone.
04-03-2015, 04:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks Matt. The motion blur was something I was trying to capture, looking for crispness on the body and blur on the arms. Yes I was a little late on both. The best image for a punch connecting was perhaps this one from the middle of the match - unfortunately the composition wasn't terrific (such are the limitations of working with a bag of primes). Great job and very balanced insights. Cheers.

Last edited by Saltwater Images; 04-07-2015 at 04:17 PM.
04-03-2015, 04:57 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you Matt for your comments and insights on each of the entries, and thank you for the 3rd place honors. Congratulations to Tess and to Norm for your photos which were fully worthy of 1st and 2nd place.
04-03-2015, 10:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Nicely done Tess.
04-04-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

noel... Allowed selfie...