Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
52-7-16-Landscape - Clouds
Posted By: scomatic, 04-21-2015, 06:54 PM

Welcome to PROJECT 52-7 for the year 2015.

PROJECT 52-7-15-Landscape - Clouds

Images for Project 52-7-15 are to be taken between the 21 April 2015 Tuesday and 27 April 2015.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-7 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. You may request to submit a photo outside of the time frame, but its
acceptance is dependent on the judge of the week. Please try and keep to within a day or two (either way) of the week. This is to make allowances for
those that would like to participate, but for one or other reason, are not able to do so during the time given for the challenge, such as illness, weather,
travelling etc.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next week's Project 52-7
10. JUDGE may participate the challenge, but the picture of JUDGE will be comment by 2nd and 3rd WINNER, and there is no podium place for JUDGE's picture. *** New Rules ***
11. The Facilitator (in this case scomatic) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.
12. Closing date for the challenge is Monday at midnight in your time zone, this will encourage people to snap the picture during weekend and post it up on next days. Late entries are accepted but subject to the acceptance by the current weeks JUDGE. ** Amendment **

JUDGE need to provide either with Option A or Option B or Both AB options criteria when during JUDGEMENT *** New Rules ***:

OPTION A (Just provide 1-10 point on each criteria and average out is the overall point)
Technical criteria
- Exposure Focus/sharpness
- Colour and/or tonal rendition
- Contrast
- Lighting

Visual and aesthetic criteria
- Framing and choice of viewpoint
- Background
- Design elements and principles
- Visual impact

Content
- Emotion / Mood /Feeling
- Relevance

Viewer’s response
- Excitement
- Interest

OPTION B (Good / Bad comment)
Example:
the good: Composition is perfect, I like your lighting. blah blah blah
the bad: I think levelling the horizon would be better, the blown out highlights on top left are distracting to me. blah blah blah.

Nature often rewards us with incredible opportunities for photographing sunrises, sunsets and sun rays piercing through the clouds, creating stunning views. As a landscape photographer, I tend to wait for partly cloudy and stormy days, because clouds make photographs appear much more dramatic and vivid. Without clouds, sunrises and sunsets often look boring, forcing us to cut out the sky and focus on foreground elements instead. In contrast, if you get to witness a sunrise or a sunset with puffy, stormy clouds that are lit up from underneath with colorful sun rays, creating a fiery view, including the clouds in your photographs would make the scene appear much more colorful and alive. In fact, clouds can be so beautiful, that they could become the main element of composition in your photographs. In this article, I will not only talk about the process of photographing clouds, but also will focus on making clouds appear much more dynamic and dramatic in your photographs.

Clouds are the noble contributor for awesome photos. They are some of the really great examples of natural portraits taken by professional photographers and as you can see, in each of every photo, the clouds defines or deliver the dramatic effect. Moving on, clouds comes in various forms and some can only be seen in certain weather and places. Taking a decent photo of beautiful cloud is no easy task. Have a look at these following photos:

Thanks the photo from 40 Stunning Photos of Beautiful Clouds - Hongkiat

3 Tips for Taking Great Cloud Photos
1. Shoot when the sun is brightest and cloud movement is dynamic
2. Wait for sunset to capture vibrant colors
3. Shoot on a tripod and bracket exposures to produce different moods

Thanks tips from 3 Tips for Taking Great Cloud Photos

Have fun on taking clouds... oh yeah, remember wear sunglasses ya, and do not see the sunlight directly...
Views: 2,788
04-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Huh? Where is the rest?

Let start with my photo on flight to Kelantan on 24 April 2015...
04-27-2015, 11:37 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's been a tough week to shoot pictures of clouds here because the weather has been uniformly overcast or completely cloudless, which is a shame, since cloud pictures are among my favorites. But the clouds did break up a little for a few minutes, long enough for me to shoot this picture, which is my entry:

A Break in the Storm Photographed with a Pentax K-5IIs, Pentax DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED at 55mm (it was the lens I had on at the time), 1/2000 s, f/8, ISO 200.

I wish I could have entered the cloud picture I took the day before a week of low overcast, when the cirrus clouds over the lake made for a lovely show. Unfortunately, it was he day before the contest opened, but I thought cloud lovers would enjoy seeing it. Remember, this is NOT an entry:

Portending a Weather Change Shot at 18mm with the DA 18-55 AL II kit lens, 1/350s, f/8, ISO 80.

04-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's mine.

04-27-2015, 06:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tamia Quote
It's been a tough week to shoot pictures of clouds here because the weather has been uniformly overcast or completely cloudless, which is a shame, since cloud pictures are among my favorites. But the clouds did break up a little for a few minutes, long enough for me to shoot this picture, which is my entry:

A Break in the Storm Photographed with a Pentax K-5IIs, Pentax DA 55-300mm f4-5.8 ED at 55mm (it was the lens I had on at the time), 1/2000 s, f/8, ISO 200.

I wish I could have entered the cloud picture I took the day before a week of low overcast, when the cirrus clouds over the lake made for a lovely show. Unfortunately, it was he day before the contest opened, but I thought cloud lovers would enjoy seeing it. Remember, this is NOT an entry:

Portending a Weather Change Shot at 18mm with the DA 18-55 AL II kit lens, 1/350s, f/8, ISO 80.
Tamia... let the judge decide the acceptance date... Maybe he allow u to participate with the second photo. BTW... when u snap it ya?
Anyway.. You have so wonderful cloud!
04-27-2015, 06:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The timeframe for this challenge is over, but I'd like to extend it for two days since we don't have the new challenge up yet. (And that, I think is not good to be the normal situation for every week)

So you've got more time to shoot and post.
04-28-2015, 03:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good idea Mtux!

04-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Direct link to image: https://flic.kr/p/s3nQRU
K30 with DA L 50-200 wr
Exif: April 26 2015 2:55pm
ISO 200, F/11 @50mm, 1/2000 sec
I just happened to be on my porch and looked up to see the crazy hues off the clouds from the sun. Ran inside, got the camera and tried capturing what I saw before it was too late. Then saw this forum post and remembered, hey! I might have a shot I can add
PS: How do you attach just the exif data?

Last edited by Kobie; 04-29-2015 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Added requested info
04-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
too late? little out of scope with a person in there? anyhow... feel free to disqualify me...
04-28-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Taken on the 25th in the Smoky Mountains. Hope it is not to late these dates are getting very confusing to this old lady.

Last edited by slowpez; 05-04-2015 at 07:18 AM.
04-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Clouds taken with Pentax K-x and M50/1.4 by jasoncdoss1, on Flickr
04-28-2015, 08:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

OK, I should close this challenge, as the new one is up.
Will post results later today.

Thanks everyone for entering it.
04-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Gosh darn it. My PC has been rendering my entry since last night. So I missed the deadline. But here it is anyway.

04-28-2015, 11:49 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K David Quote
Gosh darn it. My PC has been rendering my entry since last night. So I missed the deadline. But here it is anyway.
Don't worry, I haven't compiled the results yet, so will include it. though I'd like to see the exif data, and the capture time as challenge rules asked for.

---------- Post added 04-29-15 at 02:51 PM ----------

I'd also love to know more about your photo Kobie
04-29-2015, 05:25 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
Don't worry, I haven't compiled the results yet, so will include it. though I'd like to see the exif data, and the capture time as challenge rules asked for.

---------- Post added 04-29-15 at 02:51 PM ----------

I'd also love to know more about your photo Kobie
Whoops. Okay, I'll put up the info

---------- Post added 04-29-15 at 08:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Whoops. Okay, I'll put up the info
All updated