Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
Winners Weekly Challenge #324 - “Outliers and the (un)familiar”
Posted By: DoctorX, 05-21-2015, 03:57 PM

Hello Folks! I'll get to the results after a quick disclosure. I feel that I'm not in a position to judge the quality of other people's photography because I'm pretty new to the scene. Thus, I judged them on how well they represented the theme. My comments are mainly to offer an explanation of how I interpreted your photos. Finally, please excuse the brevity and typos, I've got a stomach bug so I'm not running at 100%.

Outis- a boar with antlers (horns if you're from the city). What could be better. It fits the theme with three deer and the boar as outlier.

Simon_199- some Star Wars fans that stand out from the crowd (definition 2). That's a damn fine land speeder and I like the expression on Obiwan's face.

Charliezap- a clear outlier by either definition. The balloons make a practical addition to the hat. I like the color and expression of the subjects.

SpecialK- If I understand, the mushroom is the outlier against a backdrop of headstones sticking out of the ground. Aside from being different, it also stands apart from the rest. Excellent. I also appreciate that the roundness of the background parallels the roundness of the mushroom cap.

Chmance- a beautiful shot all around. Love the flowers, composition, and creamy bokeh. The single flower opening makes it the outlier.

Atupdate- everyone loves baby animals, especially a terra cota pot full of puppies. Here the outlier is prominently displayed on top of the rest of the litter. You did a great job of isolating the subject without creating a lot of harsh shadows. Not easy with four squirmy subjects.

Ramseybuckeye- crabby Abe Lincoln is clearly the outlier here ( definition 1 and 2) I like his menacing look and what appears to be a blackjack in his left hand. He means business.

K David- I love the rich colors and the fact that you were likely lying prone the take this shot. That's dedication. Here the outlier is the purple flowers against the grass. Overall a great shot.

Slowpez- a firm outlier based on definition 2. Is this a joke location? There was never any water there. Love any shot of people acting crazy.

Tamia- gorgeous shot of something I'm interested in personally. Never occurred to me to use monochrome to highlight outliers. Great shot and idea.

Geomez- a shot of a cardinal being robbed by starlings. The cardinal very clearly the outlier in this group.

Tessfully- a beautiful and excellent example of an outlier, clearly the flowering lily. I haven't seem so much color in lilies before, this is just great, period.

Hattifnatt- I believe the idea here is the row of bushes terminating in buildings. As such the buildings would be the outliers. If this is the case, then we see two outliers here.

Jchorst- very clear depiction of TWO outliers here. I would be happy to play against you guys sometime.

Perspicador- the ugly duckling and its beautiful parent. Not sure which is the outlier but I hope it's the duckling.

Asp1880- a very clear representation of the concept. Your first thought is that a single subject is set apart in this image. Very shallow DOF.

Madmathmind- here we have a mostly natural landscape with the subtle exception of the road and the significant exception and the sign. Thus, the sign is the outlier here, correct?

Sealonsf- I'll be honest here, I'm not sure what the outlier is here. I apologize if I'm being dense. I'm sure that's it. Sorry sealonsf.

StephenHampshire- very clear demonstration of the theme and I love the composition and color here. A man with a bunch a sheep is always an outlier.

Dieterson- another nice picture of a relatively unique flower against a backdrop of a different species. The color here is particularly nice.

The Winners!

#3. Asp1880- Instant and obvious depiction of an outlier.
View Picture EXIF
Name:  user28797_pic88853_1431970831.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  252.9 KB

#2 tessfully- like #3, clear representation of the theme with an amazing array of color.
Attachment 269366

#1 StephenHampshire- amazing composition, color, and adherence to the theme. Loved the picture from the moment I saw it.
Name:  14910379682_33a909c3ed_b.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  106.5 KB

This images below are in order from #3-#1. Late entries, sorry! I don't usually care about rules but it's not my forum so I stuck to them.

Last edited by DoctorX; 05-21-2015 at 04:05 PM.
Views: 1,440
05-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Stephen, Tess, and Asp. Those are all fantastic. DoctorX, you don't need to apologize, great selections!
05-22-2015, 12:52 AM   #3

Congratulations to all the winners, beatiful pictures indeed!

Thank you DoctorX for hosting the challenge! There is no need to worry. Judgeing is always in a way subjective. As long as you picked the photos that you liked most you did everything right! I hope you get well soon.
05-22-2015, 04:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Congratulations Stephen, Tess, and Asp. Great shots all around and a great job by our host on commenting on the images.

Tim

05-22-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats to the winners. Fantastic shot Stephen. An interesting challenge for sure with lots of great entries. Enjoyed reading all the comments from the judge and appreciate the effort he took. DoctorX, hope you get well soon.
As for my shot's location, I think we passed it on a drive somewhere in Vermont. We were hunting for cheese. Wrong time of day for photography but we thought it was a hoot and could only image the money that went into the area.
05-22-2015, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Honoured to have won this week many fine pictures and a very interesting theme...as a bit of background to my shot, it was taken in Summer last year on a photochartr - a number of us photographers had assembled early in the morning on a hill overlooking Corfe Castle in Dorset, UK. The photo shoot was West Country pacific class Eddystone in its last few days running on the Swanage Railway before withdrawal for overhaul. Whilst waiting for the action to begin, I saw the charter organiser approaching through the flock of sheep, with the sun rise clouds behind, and took the shot! This is what we were all waiting to photograph

05-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Stephen. Terrific photo with a great sky and composition. Tess, your shot is brilliant in every way. Asp, I really like how you spotted that one dandelion that had gone to seed -- great job. DoctorX, You did a super job with the selection of topic, the judging, and the commenting. No need to worry on any score. I hope you'd banished that stomach bug and feel better now. And thanks for the kind words about my picture.

05-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Stephen, what an image! Top notch photography. Congrats extended to Tess and Asp 1880. Tough challenge to judge, with so many wonderful images. Thanks DoctorX-nothing wrong with your choices.
05-25-2015, 11:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Congratulations to all the winners. To Asp1880 --- that was a great shot of the brilliantly yellow dandelions with one obvious outlier. To tessfully --- your lovely depiction of the theme is painterly. To StephenHampshire --- Yours is a very dramatic picture with a hard-to-miss outlier. (I thought initially that StephenHarper won first place. He is Canada's Prime Minister, who qualifies as an outlier. LOL!)

Thanks DoctorX for the fine judging. You made excellent picks. It must have been hard though picking the winners given the quality of entries.

Last edited by chmance; 05-26-2015 at 12:27 AM.
05-27-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have been so tardy on expressing my thanks and gratitude to the hosts of our weekly challenges. Thank you Doctorx for the honour of 2nd among such a wonderful lineup of images! Congrats to Stephen for a well-deserved win! and to ASP1880 for placing with such a vibrant image with creative DOF!