Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
52-7-25-Natural - Wildlife
Posted By: scomatic, 06-23-2015, 01:09 AM

Welcome to PROJECT 52-7 for the year 2015.

PROJECT 52-7-25-Natural - Wildlife

Images for Project 52-7-21 are to be taken between the 23 June 2015 Tuesday and 29 June 2015.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-7 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. You may request to submit a photo outside of the time frame, but its
acceptance is dependent on the judge of the week. Please try and keep to within a day or two (either way) of the week. This is to make allowances for
those that would like to participate, but for one or other reason, are not able to do so during the time given for the challenge, such as illness, weather,
travelling etc.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next week's Project 52-7
10. JUDGE may participate the challenge, but the picture of JUDGE will be comment by 2nd and 3rd WINNER, and there is no podium place for JUDGE's picture. *** New Rules ***
11. The Facilitator (in this case scomatic) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.
12. Closing date for the challenge is Monday at midnight in your time zone, this will encourage people to snap the picture during weekend and post it up on next days. Late entries are accepted but subject to the acceptance by the current weeks JUDGE. ** Amendment **

JUDGE need to provide either with Option A or Option B or Both AB options criteria when during JUDGEMENT *** New Rules ***:

OPTION A (Just provide 1-10 point on each criteria and average out is the overall point)
Technical criteria
- Exposure Focus/sharpness
- Colour and/or tonal rendition
- Contrast
- Lighting

Visual and aesthetic criteria
- Framing and choice of viewpoint
- Background
- Design elements and principles
- Visual impact

Content
- Emotion / Mood /Feeling
- Relevance

Viewer’s response
- Excitement
- Interest

OPTION B (Good / Bad comment)
Example:
the good: Composition is perfect, I like your lighting. blah blah blah
the bad: I think leveling the horizon would be better, the blown out highlights on top left are distracting to me. blah blah blah.

overview
The name of the game in wildlife photography—whether you’re trying to capture a herd of elephants on the Serengeti Plains or squirrels in your backyard—is patience. Wild animals are going to do what they’re going to do. Unfortunately, you can’t ask them to look this way, do something cute, or stand where the light is better. You have to be there, and ready, when they decide to look cute or do something interesting. Be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait—it takes a long time to get good wildlife shots, even longer to make great ones.

But it’s not wasted time. The longer you spend with an animal or a group of animals, the better you get to know them and their habits. You get to see the personalities of different individuals, and you’ll get to the point where you can anticipate what they might do at a particular time of day or in a certain situation. Knowing which cubs are more playful or in which spot a male likes to lie up will help you get your images.

And, as is true of all kinds of photography, the more time you spend with your subjects, the more likely your images will be intimate and revealing. You know them better, and it will show.

Tips

I found this site is provided very useful information about wildlife photography... Please have a visit to them at:
https://photographylife.com/wildlife-photography-tips

Example:

Hope everyone is enjoy with the games...
Views: 2,858
06-23-2015, 03:30 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Once again fabulous images to inspire us Scomatic. That first one I am familiar with-Morkel Erusmus is a well known photographer around here.
06-25-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Looks like I'm posting the first picture this time :-)

I had a few wildlife photos that I have been pleased with recently and I have opted for this photo I took of a squirrel at the Sandy Lodge nature reserve in Sandy (Bedfordshire) in the UK. Rather an opportune shot this, was talking along with my camera at my side when I saw this squirrel out of the corner of my eye. SLowly brought up my camera and got a good shot off with my telephoto before it bolted.

Taken with pentax K20D, f/5.6, 1/250sec, ISO 200, focal length 300mm.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-25-2015, 06:18 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

If I get a better one I might change it, but right now I'm going with the toad.

06-27-2015, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #5

Blue Dasher

Dragonflies, when defending a territory will visit the same perch again and again and are easy to photograph after they land predictably in the same spot. A blue dasher taken last week with the K5 IIs, Sigma 180mm f3.5 (1/160sec at f16, ISO 500). Natural evening light produced the rich colors in the image.....................Jim
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
06-28-2015, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Beautiful Death

Saw this butterfly struggle to untangle itself to of no avail.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by LightBug; 06-28-2015 at 01:42 AM. Reason: Changed photo
06-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #7

I'll enter the shot of a Yellow Warbler in habitat, taken at Big Stone Wildlife Refuge in W. Minnesota. What I was really after was the Bald Eagle in flight. I have seen him at this location before, but he was really far away and didn't move from his perch. Photos with DA 300 + 1.4 T.C., manual focus for the Warbler shot - the key is being quick as they don't stay still for long.

Last edited by SD_Bob; 07-18-2015 at 07:51 PM.
06-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No much time to explore places for a wildlife image, such as a Zoo, which I intended to visit over the weekend, but that could not happen. Instead, have to be content with a bird from the garden.
06-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Wild life, cooked. From the Indian River, and definitely wild life.

06-30-2015, 08:57 AM - 2 Likes   #10

OK, a very late (too late?) entry.

Looking suspicious...
the deer decided to freeze instead of running away. Good for me. I could not only take the picture, but I could even use a long exposure time. 1/4s and ISO 100, f=8.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
06-30-2015, 07:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
this challenge been close, and the result will be post in momentously
07-01-2015, 01:01 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Darn. Just missed my entry!