Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
52-7-31- Perspective - Wide Angle everything
Posted By: scomatic, 08-18-2015, 09:31 PM

PROJECT 52-7-31- Perspective - Wide Angle everything

Images for Project 52-7-31 are to be taken between the 18 August 2015 Tuesday and 25 August 2015.

Rules
1. Anyone and everyone interested in the challenge is eligible. The goal continues to be have fun and share comments, concepts, insights, and techniques
with fellow Pentaxians.
2. Each week will feature a Theme and Sub-concept for you to explore.
3. Post your single picture in Project 52-7 thread for the week. Explain what motivated you to take the picture and/or how you feel it represents the weekly
theme.
4. Some post-processing is OK (adjusting white balance, exposure, color saturation), but let's try to stay away from heavily PP'ed images here. Try to
keep the creativity to photographic techniques and the captures themselves.
5. Since this project is about technique, and not camera, shots taken by non Pentax cameras are allowed.Cameras may be SLRs, DSLRs, Point & Shoot,
Medium Format, et cetera.
6. There is one “Theme Concept” labeled “black and white,” but feel free to post black and white, sepia, monotone, etc., for any of the other themes.
7. The picture you post should be taken during the week in which the theme is active to be eligible for judging.
8. Any picture taken from thread start date to listed closing date is acceptable. You may request to submit a photo outside of the time frame, but its
acceptance is dependent on the judge of the week. Please try and keep to within a day or two (either way) of the week. This is to make allowances for
those that would like to participate, but for one or other reason, are not able to do so during the time given for the challenge, such as illness, weather,
travelling etc.
9. The WINNER of each weekly challenge is the JUDGE of the next week's Project 52-7
10. JUDGE may participate the challenge, but the picture of JUDGE will be comment by 2nd and 3rd WINNER, and there is no podium place for JUDGE's picture. *** New Rules ***
11. The Facilitator (in this case scomatic) may participate in the challenge, provided he/she is not the judge.
12. Closing date for the challenge is Monday at midnight in your time zone, this will encourage people to snap the picture during weekend and post it up on next days. Late entries are accepted but subject to the acceptance by the current weeks JUDGE. ** Amendment **

JUDGE need to provide either with Option A or Option B or Both AB options criteria when during JUDGEMENT *** New Rules ***:

OPTION A (Just provide 1-10 point on each criteria and average out is the overall point)
Technical criteria
- Exposure Focus/sharpness
- Colour and/or tonal rendition
- Contrast
- Lighting

Visual and aesthetic criteria
- Framing and choice of viewpoint
- Background
- Design elements and principles
- Visual impact

Content
- Emotion / Mood /Feeling
- Relevance

Viewer’s response
- Excitement
- Interest

OPTION B (Good / Bad comment)
Example:
the good: Composition is perfect, I like your lighting. blah blah blah
the bad: I think leveling the horizon would be better, the blown out highlights on top left are distracting to me. blah blah blah.

Overview:
Today we're going to take a step back and view the art of photography through a much wider perspective, which is a terribly pun-filled way to say that this article will examine the basic concept of wide angle photography. We'll take a look at what wide angle photography is, why you should try it, some considerations to keep in mind and finally a few lenses to get you started.

Shooting with a zoom lens or even something like a 50mm prime tends to limit what you can take in. If you've ever walked around with one of these you know that there are tons of shooting scenarios when you simply can't get the shot you want.

Often, the first type of shot that comes to mind when you think about a wide angle lens is a landscape. After all, what wider subject could you possibly hope for than a mountain range or a vast windswept field?

There's definitely a reason for considering these shots first: wide angle lenses are unrivaled in capturing the beauty of an immense landscape. Your eyes are capable of taking in nearly 180 degrees of a scene at once and when you've got a beautiful view, you typically want a lens that can capture as much or more than what you're seeing.

However, taking in the sites isn't the only thing that wide angle lenses are good at. For instance, when you're indoors, walls tend to prevent you from backing up far enough to get everything you want in the frame. Anything zoomed in too far can leave you frustrated at your inability to capture anything but close details of the room you occupy. A wide angle lens will enable you to really take in the full room and capture the essence of the scene before you.

Distortion

One of the most important things to keep in mind when shooting with a wide angle lens is that you'll quite often come up with a result that surprises you in its awkwardness.

Because wide angle lenses take in such a wide field of view, they tend to distort the apparent physical relationships between objects. This results in notable distortion, most noticeable when you look at lines that should be relatively straight but are instead bent

For this reason, you have to monitor your results closely, especially when you're taking pictures of people. Keep in mind though that the distortion doesn't have to be an unwanted side affect. Countless photographers use wide angle distortion as an important element of the image. As long as you're aware of the distortion and how it affects a given lens, you can use it to stylistically create images that you simply couldn't capture by any other means.

Depth of Field

Understanding depth of field is key to mastering wide angle photography. A cursory Google search will reveal many sources claiming that wide angle lenses provide a much stronger depth of field than telephoto zoom lenses. This is nice because it means that most of your wide angle image appears in focus.

However, according to Alex Don, this effect is mostly an illusion and that "if you enlarge a portion of it [the zoomed out image] this apparent depth of field will disappear."

Similarly, Cambridge In Colour points out that what's really changing drastically with the focal length is the distribution of the depth of field. Put simply, "a wide angle lens provides a more gradually fading DoF behind the focal plane than in front." Because longer focal lengths flatten your perspective, they appear to have a greater depth of field. Keep in mind that in photography appearances are just as important as the literal truth (and occasionally more so).

The best step you can take toward understanding the technical side of wide angle depth of field is to experiment. Take the same photo with multiple lenses at multiple aperture settings and compare so you can get a feel for how to produce the effect that you want. All the technical articles in the world can't compare to actually getting your hands on a camera and picking up some experiential knowledge.

Conclusion:

To sum up, big fancy zoom lenses are both wildly impressive and highly practical in certain situations, but as a photographer you should always be ready and able to capture the bigger picture, and you'll need a wide angle lens to do it.

Though wide angle lenses are most often thought of in relation to landscapes, they actually have a wide variety of applications in all kinds of settings.

Finally, always be aware of the level of distortion as well as both the apparent and literal range of the depth of field in your wide angle photos. With practice you'll be able to use these variables positively to create the shot you want.

Leave a comment below and show us your favorite wide angle shots. Be sure to include the type of lens you used and whether or not you would recommend it to others.

Tips:

Mastering Wide-Angle

Best sample photo:

Views: 2,594
08-24-2015, 03:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
25 August 2015.
Only one day left, and still no entry!?

A wide angle shot from past weekend

08-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here mine, a 4 image stitch, and not entirely happy with it.
08-24-2015, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I'm not happy with my wide angle options... the 19-35 is more like a 20-35 so it doesn't have a wide wide angle. And my kit lens is just not good at 18mm - soft everything. I'm planning to get a Sigma 17-50 at the end of the year - or maybe a 16-45, I don't know. Probably the Sigma since it would fill many different roles including shooting in low light...

Anyway, the only thing I have that goes wide-ish is the kit lens 18-55 AL II, and I wanted to participate in this challenge since I already sat out during the HDR one which I don't do... took it out today and this is the best I could come up with... a muddy river and some fowl. It's almost a parody of a wide angle shot. But that's ok because at this point I don't really do wide angle. I'm much more of a normal FOV shooter...

08-24-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I'm not happy with my wide angle options... the 19-35 is more like a 20-35 so it doesn't have a wide wide angle. And my kit lens is just not good at 18mm - soft everything. I'm planning to get a Sigma 17-50 at the end of the year - or maybe a 16-45, I don't know. Probably the Sigma since it would fill many different roles including shooting in low light...
But 20 is still wide! and there's really not much difference between 20 and 18.
BTW, Anything below 28mm is wide angle on APSC. (there's debates about 28mm itself though)
08-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
BTW, Anything below 28mm is wide angle on APSC. (there's debates about 28mm itself though)
yeah... u are right~! I no have 18mm prime lense either too...

Here is my entry... with shot at 28mm...

08-25-2015, 07:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtux Quote
There's actually quite a bit of difference, but the main reason is that I didn't have the Tokina lens with me... It's staying in the other camera bag, the one that my wife uses and that I use on weekends. I keep the K20D at work and take walks at lunch time, which is basically where I get the stuff that I post here in the forum...

08-25-2015, 06:16 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had some ideas for this challenge, but as usual when get think of a concept, it doesn't happen because you didn't get the chance in the time frame. But this one did happen and I'm OK with it. Rokinon 8mm Fisheye

Summer
by Tom Ramsey, on Flickr
08-25-2015, 11:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I will judge this tomorrow, so still time for entry.