Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winner - #340 Humanities Negative Impact on Earth
Posted By: superduper, 02-07-2016, 12:55 AM

Hi,

First thanks to all for entering this weeks competition andapologies for being late with the judging. I've really enjoyed looking at the various photos as they have rolled induring the week.

Judging has been hard as I'm stuck between those images thatshow the greatest negative impact and those that are the most aestheticallypleasing.
RollsUp - As others have said your image is probably theprettiest but in terms of impact it is just a single piece of rubbish, not thathumans waste in the ocean is not an issue!

K David - Your image I also found really attractive and I'vea personal fondness for the "branches reflected in lake" genre.

JensE - Opencast mining, what can you say about this. A scar on the planet that is kind of requiredto maintain the current pace of human development.

cmweier - A really strong image, loved the reflection of thered brick on the truck.

Bruce Clark - An interesting attempt to make the distastefultasteful. Also because there are two responsibilitieshere, the original person and since then it has been there a long time, thelack of a periodic clean-up by the local council.

Tessfully – It sounds like you live in a beautiful placethat many city dwellers would give a great deal to be able to experience on aregular basis. Strange then that the needto protect their environment is not appreciated, though it all has to be paid for of course.

Fg-one – Thanks for cheering us all up, both with your shotand pun!

Noelcmn – A tragedy for the bird concerned, sounds like theoutlook for the bird was not good.

Hattifnatt – This one has a real hint of death about!

SpecialK – You have second place and I was very close togiving you first. I really despiselittering / fly-tipping, the complete lack of personal responsibility and ethicsshown by the people who do this really makes me wonder if we can ever transformour society into fit custodians of the planet. This needs to happen from the ground up and with people like this aroundwe’ve no chance.

Tamia – I’ve given you first place for what is a very strong image that has a strange morbid aesthetic, it has had me coming back several times to work out how the body parts fit together. What animal is that with the large fingers on it’s claw?

Congratulations to all involved!
Views: 1,014
02-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for the challenge super duper. It was an important theme. Congratulations Tamia. That is a photo I will never forget, along with the story that goes with it. It is a strong image that has a dramatic impact on the viewer. I am sure coming across this scene was far worse though.

I thought all entries were very thoughtful. Thanks again Superduper. Your comments are appreciated.
02-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations Tamia to an extremely strong and disquieting image. Congrats to SpecialK also on the close second. Good job everyone.
02-07-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to Kyle/SpecialK for your shot of blatant dumping, an all too common sight, unfortunately. Thanks for the win, Superduper, but especially for choosing this important topic for a contest. It's an issue which really deserves periodic attention so we don't become inured to foul behavior, and everyone's photos were thought-provoking and well chosen. To answer your question, SD, the very human-like hand in the center of my photo is from a beaver. Thanks Tess and Susan -- Tess, it was a very disturbing discovery and a scene I shall never forget. Like coming on a massacre. I won't even mention the smell.

I'll post a new challenge shortly -- as soon as I think of a subject.

02-07-2016, 01:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Tamia, disquieting image indeed, extended to SpecialK. Timeless subject, and one we are all concerned about-thanks Superduper for the challenge and the judging exercise. Great stuff!
02-07-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the vote, and congrats to Tamia for the disturbing image.
02-09-2016, 01:03 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Congrats to Tamia and the other finishers.It was a different challenge for sure. I'm looking forward to the next challenge.--charliezap

02-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks all. The new weekly challenge is posted at this link. See you there!