Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
Winners - Project 52-8-5
Posted By: noelcmn, 02-09-2016, 01:19 PM

Well, not exactly a flourish of entries, still, I appreciate all the entries for the challenge. and the winners are all in the order of appearance.

1. Scomatic, for sheer creativity . Should like to know just how much PP you did on this one. Can just see some ghostly feet . Lovely contrast between those light streaks and the rest of the photo. And you got a starburst too!

2. Tamia- Bubbles are so difficult to capture, I like the sense of movement in your image, and B/W seems so suited to this.

3. JensE- Classic Slow shutter speed shot, like your balance here between moving water and still calm waters. Love all that moss too.

Thank you all!

Now for some Bulb!
Views: 1,322
02-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations Scomatic! An impressive light globe, that. I'm also impressed at how you captured the brilliance without excessive "bleed" around the streaks of light.

Jens, I love that stream photo. The moss is so lush and the colors are perfect. One of my favorite subjects well caught. Could be in my back yard.

Noel, hat off to you for judging and commenting, and for keeping P52 going each week. Hopefully we'll have more entries for the Bulb challenge -- and for me it sure will be a challenge.
02-10-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Thanks Noel, and yet the photo is not been PP.

Tamia, I just keep trying with few setting, and it blend out well. Maybe just an luck for the shot.

Congrate to Tamia and JensE - Lovely shoot too. Great!

Anyone volunteer as judge for next week? I want to participate the challenge...
02-10-2016, 08:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by scomatic Quote
Thanks Noel, and yet the photo is not been PP.

Tamia, I just keep trying with few setting, and it blend out well. Maybe just an luck for the shot.

Congrate to Tamia and JensE - Lovely shoot too. Great!

Anyone volunteer as judge for next week? I want to participate the challenge...

I'll judge this next contest, Scomatic. Not sure if I'll have time to concentrate on setting up a good bulb shot. To help encourage participation, I think I'll extend an invitation on the Post Your Photos section.

02-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Thanks Tamia.... Love u so much...
02-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Noel, hope your judging duty wasn't all that hard this week and I look forward to see your 'bulb' submission.

Congrats scomatic - not only is this well captured, but I'm also impressed by the performance, which resulted in an almost perfect sphere with fairly even distribution of light. Can you comment on how you actually timed this between performance and camera shutter? Are those your ghostly feet?

Will miss Tamia's submission this week, but thanks for making an effort to attract more and for volunteering to judge. Coming up with a sensible bulb picture is a challenge for me too: It's constantly snowing now and all you get from long exposures is a fogged picture - day or night. Thinking about it, this could look interesting, even when the only WR lens with 49mm filter size (my ND fitler) is the 100mm macro ...

While the above is a memorable picture for me - nothing remotely similar anywhere near my back yard - I wasn't totally happy with it. Any suggestions? What I noticed only later is that my habit to stick with a fixed 3:2 aspect ratio, which I normally keep for a consitent presentation of out-of-camera vs. postprocessed images, got in my way when I tried to eliminate more of the pale top. I couldn't get tighter without losing the calm right side. Getting the exposure right was a good challenge to me. Going shorter than 4s, the bubbles would not sufficiently blend and the whites looked dirty, longer and the reflections of the sun would smear out and the circling leaves in the foreground fade. The reason that I picked exactly this scene was btw. a seemingly minor detail: I really loved the reddish color and sharp contour of the branch in the 'soft' bubbling water. Would it make sense to go with the left half only in order to highlight it?
02-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

JensE, Yes, sadly the ghostly feet is there...

02-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
Thanks Noel, hope your judging duty wasn't all that hard this week and I look forward to see your 'bulb' submission.

Congrats scomatic - not only is this well captured, but I'm also impressed by the performance, which resulted in an almost perfect sphere with fairly even distribution of light. Can you comment on how you actually timed this between performance and camera shutter? Are those your ghostly feet?

Will miss Tamia's submission this week, but thanks for making an effort to attract more and for volunteering to judge. Coming up with a sensible bulb picture is a challenge for me too: It's constantly snowing now and all you get from long exposures is a fogged picture - day or night. Thinking about it, this could look interesting, even when the only WR lens with 49mm filter size (my ND fitler) is the 100mm macro ...

While the above is a memorable picture for me - nothing remotely similar anywhere near my back yard - I wasn't totally happy with it. Any suggestions? What I noticed only later is that my habit to stick with a fixed 3:2 aspect ratio, which I normally keep for a consitent presentation of out-of-camera vs. postprocessed images, got in my way when I tried to eliminate more of the pale top. I couldn't get tighter without losing the calm right side. Getting the exposure right was a good challenge to me. Going shorter than 4s, the bubbles would not sufficiently blend and the whites looked dirty, longer and the reflections of the sun would smear out and the circling leaves in the foreground fade. The reason that I picked exactly this scene was btw. a seemingly minor detail: I really loved the reddish color and sharp contour of the branch in the 'soft' bubbling water. Would it make sense to go with the left half only in order to highlight it?
Jens, I was thinking of trying to shoot a snowstorm at night with bulb setting, too, but didn't have time to try it. BTW, a "raincoat" for your lens/camera plus a hood will go a long way toward reducing the chance of moisture infiltration even without a WR lens. I made a raincoat with the sleeve of an old waterproof jacket. See the article on that here.

As for your stream photo, I like it as it is, but then again, I am particularly interested in the science of moving water (worked as a geologist specializing in rivers for a time). You might want to try a 15:10 or 16:9 crop factor to remove the top portion if you're unhappy with the picture as it is. I think you did a fine job with the exposure.