Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
2 Likes  #1
WINNERS of Weekly Challenge #350 Writers/Writing
Posted By: smf, 05-19-2016, 03:47 AM

I applaud and thank all of the participating photographers!

Slowpez (Susan) —Commendable conversion to b&w emphasizes the bit of sunlight on Hemingway’s typewriter keys and the paper. The image also includes a pen atop other paper. A book on the table and books in the background are pleasingly out of focus. Shallow cropping emphasizes the typewriter rather than the room.

Atupdate (Tim) — The well-lit color image “Trying It Old School” of two students using chalk in a one-room schoolhouse conveys the at least relatively modern time by using pleasing color (and including what looks like modern equipment on the door in the background).

Outis — Without showing the computer screen, the image of four people looking at Stephen Hawking’s computer screen brings us into higher-tech times. I like the four viewers’ expressions, the lighting and inclusion of a bit of the electronic hardware.

Jcdoss (Jason) — Good use of black and white in "Royal Typewriter” contributes helps convey the typewriter's age.

Tamia — Color and inclusion of the background scenery and sky convey the scene’s time and space. Inclusion of the collapsed stuffed animal is intriguing.

Geomez (Geoff) — I greatly admire the image’s lighting, with a rich range from bright to deep shadow. I like the choice of black and white instead of color, and I wonder about the story behind the placement of the words Love and ghost on the steps.

Noelcmn (Noel) — Composition, color and the subject manner of street/art and the artist are skillfully combined.

Arjay Bee (Arjay) — Very pleasing presentation of a memorable scene from a beach wedding in a windy, bright, midday setting. Very good use of the 16-45 lens at 21mm.

Tessfully (Tess) — The effectively cropped image of colorful, shelved books would be interesting even without the intriguing object atop the bottom row of books. I like the fact that three of the books on the top shelf also are horizontal.

Christian Rock (Christian) — “A Writer’s Best Friend” skillfully uses selective focus and lighting

In a very strong field, with no weak images, Noel’s skillfully captured and beautifully presented image of the artist at work on a brightly lettered masterpiece gets my first-place designation.

Tied for second are the images entered by Geomez (Love and ghost on stairs) and
ChristianRock (still life, with coffee cup, fruit, open notebook and pen atop green table).

Best wishes — and thanks again — to everyone!
Stu

Last edited by smf; 05-19-2016 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Fix typo
Views: 1,346
05-19-2016, 04:37 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well judged Stu - thank you for the comments on all images - Well done to the three placers. I really enjoyed the tones in your image Christian and the composition.
Looking forward to your theme Noel.
05-19-2016, 06:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Congratulations to Noel, Gomez, and ChristianRock. Thanks Stu for hosting.

Tim

Last edited by atupdate; 05-19-2016 at 08:48 AM.
05-19-2016, 07:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Congrats Noel, Geomez, and Christian. Great images all. A fun challenge Stu and thanks for commenting on everyones photos. Looking forward to the next challenge.

05-19-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh Dear! A surprise,pleasant one too. Thank you Stu, for the challenge, judging exercise and comments-always appreciated. I more or less follow this particular artist, going by the name Nomad (Home) and just happened to catch him one day in the act as it were. He's also a very nice guy. Congrats Geomez (and thanks for assuring me that my entry was acceptable) and ChristianRock.

I'll try and have something up by tonight.
05-19-2016, 09:03 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Congratulations to Noel for a fantastic picture and worthy winner. When I first looked at it I knew it would likely win, I would have made the same choice for sure A perfect picture that truly depicts a modern writer/artist. Congratulations also to Geoff (geomez) for a great, moody and storytelling picture - at least I would like to know its story . Also thanks to Stu for such a great commentary and attention to detail (even resizing the pictures here to emphasize the winner!). Also, if I may, I would like to extend congratulations to Susan for her great picture, even if she wasn't placed. The picture is perfect and the black and white conversion is skullfully done to bring back the age when such typewriters were used to create some of the greatest works of art that the world has seen. Including Hemingway's!

Christian
05-19-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Noel and my fellow second placer Christian. Good stuff! Thanks for hosting this interesting challenge and picking my image Stu. I too would like to know the story behind the writing. It is painted on an old set of stairs in Bisbee, Arizona.

05-19-2016, 06:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Super photo, Noel -- congratulations! Gomez and Christian, your photos are super examples of the theme also. Well deserved wins you three. This was a challenging challenge, Stu -- thanks for stretching my mind and for your comments and judging.
05-20-2016, 05:16 AM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks very much for the kind words, folks.
Best wishes, everyone.
Stu
05-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Noel, that is a fabulous shot! So dynamic and storied. I knew is was the winner as soon as I saw it. Nice work Gomez and Christian. Thanks for the challenge Stu!! And thanks for judging and commenting on all our photos.