Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
3 Likes  #1
WINNERS- Weekly Challenge #351- The K Word
Posted By: noelcmn, 05-30-2016, 04:34 AM

Well, having just finished a cup of Rooibos tea (red bush tea) a favorite South African beverage, which purportedly has antioxidants, is caffeine free, and a lovely warm aromatic fragrance, I guess I'm ready to post the winner .
I’m disappointed- I specifically mentioned KewPee in my opening brief, only to discover he/she/it is not presented . Aside from that, I want to thank you all for taking the time out to submit an image for this challenge. I have enjoyed looking at all of them, applying the 2 standards of my judging to every one of them-they are: what does the image tell me of the photographer-skills, eye, technique etc. and the other is the impact of the image on me-emotionally-Do I want to see this in person, be there if it’s a place, and evoke in me the challenge to capture it as well. Photography is after all is said and done, a communication tool, as with so much else, from my world to your world, with an invite to come and explore and appreciate. What would the world be without photographs? So do not expect much by way of technicalities.

Tessfully- Kids-Well, you certainly set the bar high with this one, and immediate response from me as I love kids, and these 2 are ever so cute. So much to appreciate in this image, notably the contrast in the dress codes-one rather formally dressed, the other in pyjamas? And the contrast between the 2 is even more enhanced with one looking at the camera, the other in a world of her own. I especially appreciate that this has high notes of being all natural, a bedroom scene; they are being kids, and enjoying it too. Nothing quite like seeing happy kids! But oh that pout! One for the family album yes!

SD_Bob- K1000 –Unmistakable touch of nostalgia, always appealing in photography. Fantastic details, composition spot on, enhancing the beauty of the camera. Sure I want to give it a run. Very nice touch with the reflections on the lens-curtains I presume.

Bruce Clark- Kookaburra – Iconic is the word, and a bird that has fascinated me, and no trip to the local zoo is complete without capturing it. I love birds- and show me a photographer who does not, and I’ll declare it a miracle. Composition, light, focus, sharpness are all spot on, with a suitable background all enhancing the focus on the bird. Some might question cutting of the tail-I am happy with it as is, and suspect this was done to enhance the details, which certainly was achieved here.

SpecialK- Almost lifelike Kim Kardashian. Who is Kim Kardashian btw? LOL. Intense image, with notes of the erotic. This is a fantastic portrait shot, wonderful tonal range achieved here, and also amazing details, from the lines of the flowing hair, to the lines on the dress/sweater? Is this a wax image or a lookalike? If the latter, I am reminded of meeting a Meg Ryan lookalike a few years back while on holiday-two things I remember, one was she flaunted her lookalike status with aplomb, complete with hairstyle and all, and the other was I was on the verge of asking for a date, but then remembered I was with someone I was connected to romantically. Same affect here- she does look like she is flaunting her lookalike status if it is that. Wonderful eye contact!

Smf- Katydid- I so struggle to capture this insect, and invariably get the focus wrong-not so here. Wonderfully composed shot, and as with most macro shots, a lot of DOF is lost. Still, appreciable details and I could have sworn it was looking at you suspiciously. Watch those dust spots.

Tamia-Taconic Klippe-well I certainly want to see this, so you scored on that point, and in addition, this is informative, and expands my knowledge horizons. No need to fear sharing that. The Sepia coloration works well here, Kudos for a good eye to see an opportunity and grab it. Humidity is well presented but I especially like the notes of mystery here-I’m looking for houses, buildings, and there is none! Excellent composition!

Atupdate- Koala- Well now, another image that tugs at the emotions-it’s cute, it’s posing, and it’s looking at you too. Koala’s in South Africa are not this friendly . Tells me a lot about the photographer and your readiness to capture what I should think is a fleeting moment with an animal that is usually shy. All the ticks are here-Compositions, color, focus. Great shot, and certainly inspiring for me. I shall endeavour to be patient next time I’m around Koala’s.

Hattifnatt –Kid and Kitten-as with Tessfully, an immediate response. Mmm, she is cute, and even more so with all that kitty added to her face. No unnecessary restrained self-consciousness here, She’s a bit central in the image, but that I should think is what is intended. Lovely colors, and resonating pinks too and all set in a beautiful background. Hope you gave her or her parents a copy. Well worth keeping. Love the bokeh!

Jacamar- Eastern Kingbird-Need I tell you that Ian Smith became one of the most hated people in Southern Africa, and likened to some of the Apartheid presidents of SA. Anyway, onto the image, which I love, and certainly would love to see one of these. Beautifully composed, wonderful detail, and as I have been taught, a bird should always have that little glint in the eye achieved here. Great timing on getting it with an open beak. I’d be tempted to remove the top leaf, still, as I have also been taught-keep it natural and with animals, in their environment.

Apet-Sure-K-words- Well now, the rise of the dictionary, and out with the Apple tablet! I like this, creativity is commended. And the choices of the words are even more commended-a veritable world around the letter K. From Kabul, to Kaiser, to Kalinan to Kaffir. An educational world tour in politics? Lovely and sharp. An old dictionary? Nicely conveyed.

Ramseybuckeye-Killdeer- Just why are they called killdeer? That certainly made me think. Around here they are called Plovers or lapwings, and the photographers enemy as they always turn the other way. Great shot, lovely details, and as with all shots of these birds, it’s the eye that needs to be in focus, which is the case here. And it is in its natural environment. Love that receding background.

Slowpez-Key Deer –watch out for Ramseyebuckeye’s bird . What a wonderful shot, just up my street, as I happen to like animal portraits, and this one in beautifully isolated against a whitish background. Kudos for the amazing details, I can almost count the ear hairs and eyelashes. Sparkles in the eyes, a wet nose, and a palpable nervousness all make for a great wildlife shot!

Normhead-Krown-LOL. Try my country for some weird spelling. Excellent photographers eye here, and signs are staple diet for photographers. Piqued interest for sure-whatever is CAA? Nice touch with that typical chaos of a hardware store in the background. And something familiar with Rhino Linings-they are everywhere-even South Africa.

Jcdoss-Kansas- This is a wonderful image, full of complexity and architectural beauty. I certainly want to visit this place, a great ad for your city. Another staple diet for photographers, cityscapes, and this one has it all-construction, art, directions, and high rise buildings, beautiful ones too. Love the contrasting architecture. Busyish image, befitting a city. Love the very broad tonal range in this image.

Sealonsf-Knocker-Oh great shot, common item excellently presented. What beautiful texture, all surrounding that intriguing knocker. I certainly want to give it a few knocks, just to see what happens next. Add a bit of geometry, dominated by 2 tone color, some peeling paint and viola. Wonderful eye for a photographer.

Charliezap-Knucles/Kodak moment-A definite Kodak moment, to be used by Clearwater FI in its advertising. I remember you previous shot, a winning one if I recall correctly. Great timing, sharp focus on the bird’s face, I’d even say the concentration on the birds face as it concentrates on grabbing that piece. Love the composition with the hand and bits of the buildings, but even more stunning is the 2nd bird coming in for some of that food. Enviable shot!

Just_life_photograph- Kimberley Crest House – Fabulous! Beam me there Scotty-on the double! Beautiful architecture, excellent composition with those potted pillars on either side. And wonderful details to boot. Seems a tad oversaturated, which is fine with me, as I am not afraid of color in photography. On the other hand, I suspect that this may well be the color of building. Nice touch with getting that palm tree to look like an addendum to the spire on the right. Was that deliberate? And could you have gone a tad wider to get the whole pillar in on either side? Photographers decisions right? Sacrifice some width for maximum details.

Djb47- Door knob with keyhole- Another common item beautifully presented, this one with top notes of minimalist approach. Intriguing shot, and ready to try my ever growing bunch of keys to open up and see what is on the other side. Lovely muted reflections, suggesting this is an outdoor knob and keyhole. Appreciate the movement of the light from brightness on the one side to darker on the other.

Well, this has been rather more difficult than I thought, with so many images vying for a place. But there must be a winner/winners.

1st spot to Slowpez for a stunning portrait of a Key Deer.

2nd Spot to Bruce Clark

3rd Spot to Tessfully.

HM”s to SpecialK, Sealonsf. and Just_life _Photograph.,

Great as stuff everyone.

Over to you Slowpez
Views: 2,419
05-30-2016, 05:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations to Susan, Bruce, and Tess. Wonderful challenge Noel and thanks for hosting and the comments.

Tim
05-30-2016, 05:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Susan, and to Bruce and Tess also. All are fabulous photos! Great challenge Noel.
05-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank you so much for giving me the nod for first place and to Bruce and Tess also for two wonderful images. Thanks for commenting on all the submissions Noel. Always a pleasure to read comments and to see an image through someone else's eyes. I will be off on another adventure later this week so will be unable to host and have asked Bruce to take over if he is able. Hope to come back with lots of photos and something to enter in the weekly challenges.

05-30-2016, 09:36 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to the winner. Great photos everyone.
05-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to Slowpez, Bruce and Tess, and thanks to Noel for the detailed and helpful comments. I did take out one leaf in my image, but left the others, even though they were a bit bug-eaten!
05-31-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks to noelcm for his excellent hosting and kind words. Congratulations to Susan and Tess and all the other wonderful contributions. I for one was glad not to had to judge this one. I just saw Susan's request that I take over the hosting of the next challenge and this I will do with some trepidation. Enjoy your adventure Susan and we hope to see you back here shortly. I will give the matter some thought and post a topic in the next 12 hours.

05-31-2016, 03:43 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

Congratulations to all.

Thanks for the challenge, the judging and the enjoyable images.

Best wishes,
Stu
05-31-2016, 05:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations Susan, Bruce and Tess for your terrific photos. Noel, thanks for this contest and for your cogent analyses and comments.
05-31-2016, 07:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Noel, thanks for all the work you did to judge and comment on everyone's entry this week! A job I do not envy. Congrats to the winners, and to everyone this week for a fine collection of photos!
05-31-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Thanks to noelcm for his excellent hosting and kind words. Congratulations to Susan and Tess and all the other wonderful contributions. I for one was glad not to had to judge this one. I just saw Susan's request that I take over the hosting of the next challenge and this I will do with some trepidation. Enjoy your adventure Susan and we hope to see you back here shortly. I will give the matter some thought and post a topic in the next 12 hours.
Thanks for taking the helm Bruce. Great challenge too. See you all when I get back.
05-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations to the winners - what a fun challenge!

The Thorndike-Barnhart dictionary I used has a 1958 copyright. I inherited it and a humongous one (10+ lbs.) from the 1930s from my parents. Used the big one as a booster seat for my kiddies. Didn't have it handy when I took the shot. I'll have to check out its K page when I get home. 8¬)