Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
WINNERS- Weekly Challenge #364-Wood
Posted By: noelcmn, 09-26-2016, 06:47 AM

Thanks to Stephenhamshire for hosting # 363, and to Balint, for the honor of giving me the duty of hosting the next weekly challenge. Gratifying to see so many entries, and with such a variety of images. They have all been inspiring and I consider it a privilege, not to mention daunting, task, to review all the submissions. I review every image with those 2 standards I usually employ with any image-what does it tell me about the photographer, and what impact does it have on me, it became apparent that I had no easy task on my hands. Photography, as I said on another Forum, is after all a communication tool, like so much else, from my world to your world, with an invitation to come and explore and appreciate. And challenge myself with the question “would I have captured it differently?” Which I hope will tell you that I am not much into technicalities. These then are entirely my subjective thoughts.

Bruce Clark-Abstract pattern. Wonderful opening salvo, and I like abstracts, this one rather interesting, and reminds me of Peanuts. Super textures and the two tone image is very appealing.

Vaskebjorn-Forest Fungus. Another wonderful image, evoking the innate desire to explore. That fungus has a beautiful pop in the image, and the focus is firmly fixed on them. Lovely greens, and no mistaking the forest atmosphere here.

Slowpez-Driftwood. Tugs at the heart image, as a lover of beach walks, and a wanderer not to mention the echoing of many of my own images of this kind of thing. I doubt if rendering it in colour would have the same impact And Oh so crisp! That secondary piece of driftwood in the background is a wonderful touch. The word peaceful comes readily to mind making it appealing to a large number of humanity!

Cocotil78-Wormcity- Well spotted, kudos to you as a photographer, for another abstract, its different, its appealing, and exploreable, though I daresay, some would not be so adventurous as to explore deeper. Nice tones too.

Tamia-Life continues on a dead tree- This is an awesome image, excellent documentary image of life and death in the same spot, the colours are just wonderful, as are the details, top notch composition, and those textures are worth a lot more exploration than a mere casual glance. And kudos for a keen eye to see opportunity.

Jacamar-Groynes on a beach in Sussex. And yet another appealing image for a wanderer like me. Is that an old pier? There is so much to explore in this image, from that background pillars, to the sculpture (I think) and of course the piece of rather clean wood. An inviting image and place to explore. I’m tempted to say- beam up there Scotty!

SpecialK-John Denver Memorial Driftwood. Having just spent 6 days at the coast for my annual holiday, I’m holding this one against you for furthering my regret that I am not still there . Cracking image, and I also happen to like John Denver, despite his somewhat tragic life. All the elements are here, sky and clouds, surf, wood, rocks, sand, and human memory. I’d love to explore this place. One for the tourist brochure. And the John Denver Fan Club. Stunningly composed!

SMF- Door to yesteryear- Rising up to the challenge on this one, with beautifully crafted door decal. Love the textures on this one, and appreciate your isolation of just this part of the door, to bring out the beauty. My mind is wondering-about the craftsman, his/her skill, and patience. Doors are such wonderful subjects to create mystery and charm, very much achieved here.

Djb47- Life takes root in an old tree stump- Well spotted, and as with Tamia, kudos to you for your keen photographers eye. A busyish shot, but all enhances the determination of that little plant to grow. Love the angle you have chosen here, leading the eye to that little plant with its pop of green.

Rod_Grant- Eucalyptus trees after fire-Wow, what an emotionally charged image, with hope and despair, life and death, locking horns here. Excellent documentary shot, and should add that I follow the reports of the fires in Australia year after year as I have many friends there. This one brings home the horror of it, disconcertingly so. Not a shot for lovers of tree. But, as the saying goes, hope springs eternal, and that singular green sprouting tree, which pops so wonderfully, amid all the other dark burnt ones is just magical, bringing that proverb to life! And I love the earthy tones.

Apet-Sure-The tree that has a story. Kudos to you too as a photographer, you’ve got the brains all working overtime, wanting to know that story! Another very nice documentary shot, and the victory of the tree. Awesome textures. But just can’t stop wondering about that metal pipe.

Patternfly-collection-A shelter. Welcome to Pentax Forums, and to the Weekly Challenges in particular. What an excellent entry into the foray here, and the 3rd image depicting life in strange places, and this one also deserves kudos for a keen photographers eye. And if anything, the life here is growing amid what I consider harsh circumstances-dead tree trunk, lifeless stones, dead twigs. Beautifully composed, and the two tones of the image really enhances that growth! Great Shot!

Jumbleview-Wood and Nails.What in interesting shot. No rules violated here, other than the one about getting my brains working, wondering about why those nails are even there. A boardwalk perhaps? Or an owl house? Wonderful textures here too, and that bits of strewn grass only enhances the wood. It seemingly has stood the test of time, and changes. Nicely composed shot!

Hattifnatt- Somewhere on the Danube. Another one for a wanderer like me to explore. My memories of the Danube is all industrial with large ships and the smell of iron. This gives an alternative view, and a very pleasant one it is. Strong composition, with the old dead tree trunk to the right of the image, the river and trees on the other bank taking me in the direction of life to explore,

MarcusBMG-Conwy Estuary. So I have 2 reasons not to forgive you. Besides the one mentioned in the thread, you’ve also posted another one for a wanderer like me. Add to that the 4th image depicting life amid death. Excellent composition with the attention firmly on the stump. And unmistakable note-I will yet reach the sky”. Great shot!

Sealonsf-An old wooden Shed. A cracking image, a pity you nicked off the top of the shed. Sepia conversion is superb for this image, giving it an extra olde world feel to it. Feels a bit like it might topple over any minute. Wonderful texture, and the setting is awesome!

Well, it’s onto the judging. Wood, as I expected, is a subject that lends itself to texture, of which there is an abundance in this challenge, and with 4 images depicting new life in old wood, that will tell us that it lends itself to that too. Not surprising that the winners:

1st Place- Tamia-

Followed by a very close 2nd spot to Rod_Grant.

3rd spot to Slowpez.

I’ll not mention any HC’s as there are too many, so that will go to all the other entries.
Views: 1,044
09-26-2016, 07:03 AM   #2
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations to all, and thanks to Noel.
09-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #3

Congrats to Tamia, astonishing picture, and to all on the podium.
09-26-2016, 07:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Congrats to the winners and thanks for the thoughtful comments Noel. In response to your questions, groynes are barriers that prevent the shore from being eroded by the currents along the shore. It's not a sculpture - the wooden pillars were just worn that way by the waves over a number of (probably many) years.

09-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Noel, thanks for providing an excellent topic and making all those wonderful comments. Tamia, an astonishing image and well worth the first place position. Congratulations to Rod for showing us life after devastation and thank you for the third place position. I am indeed honored after looking at all those wonderful entries.
09-26-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats Tamia and thanks Noel.
09-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well done Tamia, Rod and Susan. Thank you Noel for all the excellent feedback.

09-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gosh, Noel, thanks for the nod, and to everyone for your kind words and likes! I had no idea that a tree stump would have so much appeal. Congratulations Rod and Susan for your moving interpretations of Noel's marvelous theme, and well done everyone who entered. I enjoyed everyone's entries.

I'll post something soon for the next Weekly Contest.
10-01-2016, 03:22 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for 2nd Noel. I missed your post and thought you had gone AWL (AWOL for our US friends)
A great contest.
Congrats to Tamia and Slowpez (Actually I would have given it to Susan - a great image!) and to other posters; some really good pix.